Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Poor scrappy game all round
Monaghan came out to intimidate the Derry wans who reacted by kicking the shite out of Monaghan :D

Brian Mullan will get a few months & Doherty could have walked earlier

The real championship starts this Sunday ;)

SidelineKick

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 25, 2009, 07:36:24 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on May 25, 2009, 05:04:00 PM
Monaghan's hard man attitude did not work for them yesterday and I am glad Derry decided to stand up for themsleves.  

Quote from: SidelineKick on May 25, 2009, 05:04:00 PM
I also do understand that there is a difference in standing up for yourself and going overboard.  

So which did Derry do yesterday? Stand up for themselves or go overboard?

I would say the majority of Derry players stood up for themselves, Kevin McGuckin was an inspiration if you ask me not to become more involved with Freeman.  However there was Doc and Mullan getting involved in incidents that can only warratn further punishment.  My point that I will stress again is that Derry are not normally this type of team. Monaghan are and you cannot argue with that.

As for comparing Mullan's incident with Monobrows, Mullan's is streets ahead in terms of how dangerous it was. A full blown knee.  Thats not football, thats not being passionate, thats being stupid and wreckless and extremely dangerous. He can wave good bye to his summer in my opinion.

As for the Rory Woods thing, he DID kick someone yes as I seen it myself.  Actually wasnt in front of the goals as someone elese stated so either they're wrong or he did it more than once!  By "most dangerous player on the field" you aren't grasping what I'm saying. He was constantly coming in when the incident has almost settled and threw a cowardly shoulder into the back of whoever was nearest to him.  It is this 3rd man that causes the most rows in football and that is why I was saying he was the most dangerous player on the field.  Isolated incidents? Well it has to be Brian Mullan's.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

full back

Derry wans may say they were standing up for themselves, but on one occasion the Derry full back line (including the keeper) were getting stuck into the Monaghan full forward line when the ball was at the far end of the field. No one can tell me it was Monaghan who started that

SidelineKick

Quote from: full back on May 26, 2009, 08:53:19 AM
Derry wans may say they were standing up for themselves, but on one occasion the Derry full back line (including the keeper) were getting stuck into the Monaghan full forward line when the ball was at the far end of the field. No one can tell me it was Monaghan who started that

Did you see this happen? I was at it but only seen the incident when everyone was involved so don't know how it started.  I would be thinking that it is of absolutely no benefit to the defence to start this as the umpires can bring this to the refs attention and more than likely end up in a yellow card for both parties, which is obviously a bigger disadvantage for the defence.  Freeman was acting the maggot a bit on Sun and threw the leg out at Gillis at a stage (this was when he hurt his arm (however he managed to do that!)).  However I did enjoy seeing him give McGuckin a quick hand shake after they had collided over at the sideline and McGuckin came worse off.  Thats a better attitude than most adopted.

Reported.

full back

Quote from: SidelineKick on May 26, 2009, 09:09:55 AM
Quote from: full back on May 26, 2009, 08:53:19 AM

Did you see this happen? I was at it but only seen the incident when everyone was involved so don't know how it started.  I would be thinking that it is of absolutely no benefit to the defence to start this as the umpires can bring this to the refs attention and more than likely end up in a yellow card for both parties, which is obviously a bigger disadvantage for the defence.  Freeman was acting the maggot a bit on Sun and threw the leg out at Gillis at a stage (this was when he hurt his arm (however he managed to do that!)).  However I did enjoy seeing him give McGuckin a quick hand shake after they had collided over at the sideline and McGuckin came worse off.  Thats a better attitude than most adopted.

Only saw what the cameras caught, but it would be of less advantage for the forwards to start it IMHO

SidelineKick

Not sure what to make of it, I can see what you mean, particularly as Monaghan were attacking at this stage!  I think umpires should have more of an input, even talking to the players as opposed to standing like dummies.  However if the forwards start it and referee books both men, the defender is skating on thin ice and cannot afford to commit himself to a rash tackle.  the likes of Freeman wasn't born yesterday  ;)

Derry were as much to blame for Sun's game as Monaghan were but I feel that Monaghan are as cynical a team as you will come across and Derry needed to stand up for themselves or risk being bullied out of yet ANOTHER game by Monaghan (3 years in a row).  Derry's antics to me were reactive as opposed to proactive.  A few of our players were very out of order yesterday and will get their punishments no doubt.

Reported.

Sonny Joe

The only derry player who might get suspened from the game will be mullan. The ref dealt with Doherty. He did nothing that would merit a suspension.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

rrhf

No its important that Doherty goes, to me he behaved like Ricey against Kerry running about putulantly looking the row - he subsequently got suspended and that changed the man for the better.  I would go as far as saying that if Doherty dosent get suspended he will single handedly bring down derrys season,  I think he has alreday cost them Ulster glory as neither established team Tyrone and Armagh would stand for that upstarty nonsense and will have their cloth well cut to suit their battle with the nouveaux riche.   As much as I  enjoyed the game could we please lose the nauseating "well we are now no longer prepared to be bullied" line being trotted out by the derry wans.  Those shrinking violets from the snowcap of tyrone have been arguably the dirtiest team in Ulster for over 10 years its only they never had the footballers to get their games shown on TV - now they have and now they are in the dock.  

full back

Quote from: rrhf on May 26, 2009, 09:38:19 AM
No its important that Doherty goes, to me he behaved like Ricey against Kerry running about putulantly looking the row - he subsequently got suspended and that changed the man.  

I would hold the judgement on that until the end of the Summer

The umpires & linesmen at Sundays game might as well not have been there
There is no chance that they all missed every incident that went on

SidelineKick

No its important that Doherty goes, to me he behaved like Ricey against Kerry running about putulantly looking the row - he subsequently got suspended and that changed the man for the better.  I would go as far as saying that if Doherty dosent get suspended he will single handedly bring down derrys season,  I think he has alreday cost them Ulster glory as neither established team Tyrone and Armagh would stand for that upstarty nonsense and will have their cloth well cut to suit their battle with the nouveaux riche.   As much as I  enjoyed the game could we please lose the nauseating "well we are now no longer prepared to be bullied" line being trotted out by the derry wans.  Those shrinking violets from the snowcap of tyrone have been arguably the dirtiest team in Ulster for over 10 years its only they never had the footballers to get their games shown on TV - now they have and now they are in the dock.  

::) to the whole post

Reported.

whiskeysteve

Well theres a crock of shit. Our season will be off the rails if doc survives suspension  ???

Doherty doesnt go looking for rows but he has reacted on a couple of occasions. He lost it with Clerkin and played right into Dicks hands. Doherty is worth too much to us for what he brings to the team to instigate petty crap and he knows it. He isnt in Riceys league for instigating petulance.

Doc is a tough, clean player who won't take crap from anyone, nor will he go about starting trouble. Thats not to say Derry havent had dirty players, far from it.

Also, im sure your on the wind up in general but its very ironic to hear a tyrone poster calling someone else the 'nouveaux riche (sic)'

The last part of the post is just nonsense fit for the hoganstand, actually the whole post is.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Sonny Joe

the difference Doherty got his medicine by being sent off. Ricey got his medicine after the game. Where is the evidence that Ricey has changed?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

full back

Quote from: whiskeysteve on May 26, 2009, 09:59:52 AM
Doc is a tough, clean player who won't take crap from anyone, nor will he go about starting trouble. Thats not to say Derry havent had dirty players, far from it.

Tough - yes
Clean - no (look at Sunday for evidence)

whiskeysteve

Quote from: full back on May 26, 2009, 10:02:21 AM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on May 26, 2009, 09:59:52 AM

Tough - yes
Clean - no (look at Sunday for evidence)

I'll give you Sunday and the backhand cuff on Rory Kavanagh last year. Thats it.

For the imposing type of player that he is, who puts in plenty of big hits and tackles, thats a short list.

Anyone who has ever played the game at any level cant be serious if they say Dicks behaviour throughout the game wouldnt have tempted them to give him a dig. I for one won't argue with a suspension for Doc, but I have zero sympathy for Clerkin getting a wee kick.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Bogball XV

Quote from: SidelineKick on May 26, 2009, 09:30:27 AM
Not sure what to make of it, I can see what you mean, particularly as Monaghan were attacking at this stage!  I think umpires should have more of an input, even talking to the players as opposed to standing like dummies.  However if the forwards start it and referee books both men, the defender is skating on thin ice and cannot afford to commit himself to a rash tackle.  the likes of Freeman wasn't born yesterday  ;)

Derry were as much to blame for Sun's game as Monaghan were but I feel that Monaghan are as cynical a team as you will come across and Derry needed to stand up for themselves or risk being bullied out of yet ANOTHER game by Monaghan (3 years in a row).  Derry's antics to me were reactive as opposed to proactive.  A few of our players were very out of order yesterday and will get their punishments no doubt.
It started when derry were attacking, think it was freeman and mcguckian, then gillis and a few others got involved too, monaghan won the ball in their defence and had made it to round the 45 by the time the players realised, cue mad scramble for their positions :D
Once again though, reporting what happened is the type of thing umpires are there for - fcuk knows the ref's don't seem to trust the views of the worst positioned men in the pitch when it comes to dodgy point calls.