Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Maguire01

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 25, 2009, 08:37:59 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 25, 2009, 07:37:17 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on May 25, 2009, 05:04:00 PM
Rory Woods was the most dangerous player on the field yesterday. Every incident that he got involved in had nothing to do with him, always the 3rd man.
Eh? Come on! Rory Woods can be hot headed and shouldn't get involved in such incidents, but how was he "the most dangerous player on the field yesterday"? Did he kick anyone? Did he headbutt anyone? Did he grab anyone by the legs? Did he knee anyone in the groin? I'm open to correction if i missed something, but the most he did was pushing and shoving - in comparison to some of yesterday's incidents... foolish yes, but hardly dangerous.
Nah, as I said before Freeman's challenge on McGuigan was the most dangerous by a mile - lucky that serious injury wasn't suffered.
A headbutt more dangerous than a knee in the groin, by a mile?

Mario

I was at the game, it was a very intense match, there was some great tackling and big hits going in, most of the players were out on their feet in the last 5 minutes due to the level of effort they put in. This was of course overshadowed by about 8 or 9 off the ball incidents.

Schkite

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 25, 2009, 08:44:38 PM
Rory Woods was the most dangerous player on the field yesterday. Every incident that he got involved in had nothing to do with him, always the 3rd man.
Eh? Come on! Rory Woods can be hot headed and shouldn't get involved in such incidents, but how was he "the most dangerous player on the field yesterday"? Did he kick anyone? Did he headbutt anyone? Did he grab anyone by the legs? Did he knee anyone in the groin? I'm open to correction if i missed something, but the most he did was pushing and shoving - in comparison to some of yesterday's incidents... foolish yes, but hardly dangerous.
Nah, as I said before Freeman's challenge on McGuigan was the most dangerous by a mile - lucky that serious injury wasn't suffered.

I think he's on about the challenge on Barry McGuigan where Tommy ran across him and pulled him down on the run. Cynical, most definately. One of the most dangerous yesterday, not close.

ExiledGael

Armamike

Awful game, spoiled by the shitty attitude of both teams. I thought Monaghan were the main instigators but Derry were too happy to get involved themselves. I don't really buy into this being a physical contest between 2 hard hitting sides. Didn't see much evidence of that from the telly.  Plenty of bitchy stuff on show though, petulant wee kicks, mouthing, wrestling etc etc. Not much manliness though.  Clerkin's a messer and was very lucky not to get lined.  Was a bit disappointed with Damian Cassidy, thought he should have instructed his players not to get involved and stick to the football. Fergal Doherty's going to need to sort himself out if Derry are going to do any business this year.  
That's just, like your opinion man.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Schkite on May 25, 2009, 08:54:53 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 25, 2009, 08:44:38 PM

I think he's on about the challenge on Barry McGuigan where Tommy ran across him and pulled him down on the run. Cynical, most definately. One of the most dangerous yesterday, not close.
That's the one, it could easily have resulted in a broken leg imo, I don't think there were any other challenges that could be termed 'dangerous'.

Schkite

I suppose the fact Tommy was running in at an angle made it worse, but still he just took him out, very cynical but it would have been a freak accident if anything like a broken leg happened imo. I'd say Mullen's knee was more dangerous in fairness, he drove it in with force.

screenexile

Right I've been hanging back a bit and taking it all in and feel I can comment on it now where it will not get lost in a tit for tat slagging match.

I enjoyed the game yesterday. Men put their bodies on the line for the Championship and it wasn't pretty and it did overstep the line a few times but it was exciting and hard hitting and I couldn't take my eyes away for a second for fear of missing something.

In my opinion Monaghan started all the nastiness! Even before a ball was thrown in the 2 Bradleys were getting elbowed and kicked around the place. Monaghan players were constantly standing on toes/raking studs down legs, firing verbals about the whole bit, and the incident with the Derry waterboy when the Monaghan defenders wouldn't let Bradley get a drink was a disgrace!!! In the face of this adversity I thought Derry stood up well and there were 2 instances when we went overboard and that was Mullan's knee and Doc's kick on Clerkin. In fairness to Doc he shouldn't have went for that shoulder he made on McManus but the kick beforehand meant that he should've gotten his second yellow card. He had lost it by this stage and it was better he went for what did happen rather than lose it completely and do something he would get banned for.

On to the game I thought we were just the better team with better footballers. Our defence were excellent with Kevin McGuckin back to his best. Midfield struggled and Doherty had one of his poorer days for Derry but I hope he doesn't get distracted like that again otherwise it will cost us. What impressed me most was how we attacked yesterday. For 2 years we kept hitting ball into the Bradleys only for Freeman to get the ball as a sweeper. Yesterday we worked the ball up and then gave it to the men who can shoot long range and they did the business. Kielt, Bradley, McGoldrick all took excellent scores that 2nd half and it worked well.

As for the hoopla well I don't think it was as bad as the Ricey incident where he intentionally grabbed someone in the balls but Mullan will no doubt find himself in serious bother. From the camera angle you can't tell if he kneed your man in the ribs or the nuts so he should get the mandatory suspension for kneeing someone and be done with it. As for Doherty well it was a small kick but a kick nonetheless so we will have to see what the powers that be make of it. Freeman for his headbutt and Clerkin for his knee to Doherty could also be looking at some kind of censure.

I thought the Referee was very stupid in trying to let this game flow and he had an absolute stinker. There are rules in place to stop games like these descending into chaos and he didn't use them. Any players mouthing should be booked and off if they do it again, 3rd and 4th men into a melee are entitled to be sent off also. Had he sent Doherty and Clerkin off early doors the game would have been a much better spectacle but without the referee taking any action the game just turned into a farce... A good win for us and hopefully teams will see that we can't be bullied out of games anymore and try to match us with football from now on. I think we'll be pretty handy when it comes to that as well! :)

JMohan

Oakleafer93

Quote from: hardstation on May 25, 2009, 10:17:23 PM
QuoteAs for the hoopla well I don't think it was as bad as the Ricey incident where he intentionally grabbed someone in the balls
Wise the f**k up.

I know, both were equally as bad, Mullan intentionally looked around to see if any officials were looking then kneed him in the nuts, Ricey walked over to Galvin and nipped him in his. Bot bad both merit same punishment.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 25, 2009, 10:23:09 PM
QuoteAs for the hoopla well I don't think it was as bad as the Ricey incident where he intentionally grabbed someone in the balls
Wise the f**k up.

I know, both were equally as bad, Mullan intentionally looked around to see if any officials were looking then kneed him in the nuts, Ricey walked over to Galvin and nipped him in his. Bot bad both merit same punishment.

Completely disagree. Mullan's was a lot more reckless and dangerous.
There's no discussion there.

tyronefan

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 25, 2009, 10:23:09 PM
Wise the f**k up.

you must have some bird if you think a wee grope and a knee in the balls is the same thing

Schkite

The Bradleys may have been getting abuse before the throw-in but sure they weren't the only ones. Barry McGoldrick reached around and hit Finlay in the head, easy to focus on the incidents you want to.

Oakleafer93

Ricey nipped him in the balls I doubt he went over to tickle them.