Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joxer

After getting this from Ulster GAA promoting new website and I went into the the matych info for this weekends games:

Ulster Senior Football Championship
Derry v Monaghan, Throw In 2.00pm at Celtic Park Derry

Ulster Minor Football Championship
Derry v Monaghan, Throw In 12.00pm at Celtic Park Derry

Official Re-Opening of Celtic Park will take place between the Minor and Senior games.

This is an All-Ticket Event – Valid Tickets will be required for entry.

Tickets available through County Boards
Derry: 028 7774 2990
Monaghan: 042 97 52033

Travel & Parking

Supporters are asked to allow extra time for their journey. It is recommended that they should arrive at the venue no later than 1.15pm.
Conventional Car Parks in the town centre will be available for use.
Patrons are advised to lock their cars and not leave valuables in sight.
Patrons should respect the residents in the area in respect of parking and litter.
Event Information

Gates will be open from 12.30pm

Patrons are asked to co-operate with stewards at all times and to adhere to the ground regulations, which will be printed in the match programme.

The're some pups... Minor game starting at 12 and gates not opening to 12.30pm.  Lazy piece of copying and pasting me thinks?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Joxer on May 20, 2009, 11:41:31 AM

Gates will be open from 12.30pm

Patrons are asked to co-operate with stewards at all times and to adhere to the ground regulations, which will be printed in the match programme.

The're some pups... Minor game starting at 12 and gates not opening to 12.30pm.  Lazy piece of copying and pasting me thinks?

Lazy surely but why is the minor game starting two hours before the senior match? Surely 12 15 would have done? I always hate hanging around between the 2 matches. Does the minor championship go straight to extra time in the first round?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Joxer

There will be extra time.  Between the two matches the official opening of the new stand and pitch will take place.

Maximus Marillius

Lynchboy...I haven't heard from you in a while. You going to the game? What do you think of the injury situatuion that is being reported

Maguire01

Crap. Thought this was a 3.30 throw in! Have to travel from Carlow on the morning of the match - an even earlier start than i had planned now.

Keyser soze

Think this one is really hard to call.

Plusses for Derry are that playing at home in Celtic Pk  they generally perform reasonably well and have generally got positive results. The new manager seems to have instilled greater belief and has established more options for covering injuries and loss of form. [TG as the list of injuries for Sun is as bad as i ever remember.]. There also seems to be a greater emphasis on playing to a team system rather tham as a collection of individuals.

Negatives for Derry are the injuries for Muldoon and McCusker in particular who are proven performers in championship football. Muldoon especially will be a big miss at midfield [no disrespect to Joe D] for ball winning and delivering quality passes. Also developments as listed above in belief, new players, tactics etc are relatively untested as they will undoubtedly be in the blazing white heat of championship action.

Monaghan seem to have a fairly clean bill of health and will be at near full strength for the game [JP Mone aside poss]. The purported loss of form by Eoin Lennon would be a big worry if accurate/not rectified.

Monaghan are proven championship performers over the past few years, i don't see this changing on Sunday. They will have a great sense of purpose which will mean they will contest every ball, a solid game plan which makes them very difficult to score against, and utilises the undoubted ability of their stand-out forward players. Generally they are sound tactiaclly during the game too, i cannot recall too many mistakes from Banty over the past few seasons.

For the result of the past 2 years to change Derry will need to exhibit a newfound sense of purpose and belief in their ability to deliver, plus a higher degree of tactical awareness along the line than on the last 2 occasions the teams met in c'ship. The series of glorified challenge games that the NFL has become is no longer a reliable indicator [if it ever was] of whether Derry has yet acquired these vital but ephemeral qualities, in the same way that it is no indicator of Monaghan's form.

In the belief [with zero evidence to back it up] that Derry have developed a greater degree of conviction over the past 6 months i'll give a hesitant vote to Derry. Winners by a point.

Main Street

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 20, 2009, 01:13:05 PM
Lynchboy...I haven't heard from you in a while. You going to the game? What do you think of the injury situatuion that is being reported
If Lynchboy does travel for the game, it will be with a heavy heart, laden with a foreboding.

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 20, 2009, 03:46:51 PM
Think this one is really hard to call.

Plusses for Derry are that playing at home in Celtic Pk  they generally perform reasonably well and have generally got positive results. The new manager seems to have instilled greater belief and has established more options for covering injuries and loss of form. [TG as the list of injuries for Sun is as bad as i ever remember.]. There also seems to be a greater emphasis on playing to a team system rather tham as a collection of individuals.

Negatives for Derry are the injuries for Muldoon and McCusker in particular who are proven performers in championship football. Muldoon especially will be a big miss at midfield [no disrespect to Joe D] for ball winning and delivering quality passes. Also developments as listed above in belief, new players, tactics etc are relatively untested as they will undoubtedly be in the blazing white heat of championship action.

Monaghan seem to have a fairly clean bill of health and will be at near full strength for the game [JP Mone aside poss]. The purported loss of form by Eoin Lennon would be a big worry if accurate/not rectified.

Monaghan are proven championship performers over the past few years, i don't see this changing on Sunday. They will have a great sense of purpose which will mean they will contest every ball, a solid game plan which makes them very difficult to score against, and utilises the undoubted ability of their stand-out forward players. Generally they are sound tactiaclly during the game too, i cannot recall too many mistakes from Banty over the past few seasons.

For the result of the past 2 years to change Derry will need to exhibit a newfound sense of purpose and belief in their ability to deliver, plus a higher degree of tactical awareness along the line than on the last 2 occasions the teams met in c'ship. The series of glorified challenge games that the NFL has become is no longer a reliable indicator [if it ever was] of whether Derry has yet acquired these vital but ephemeral qualities, in the same way that it is no indicator of Monaghan's form.

In the belief [with zero evidence to back it up] that Derry have developed a greater degree of conviction over the past 6 months i'll give a hesitant vote to Derry. Winners by a point.

Kaiser you turned that piece on its head - i thought you where going to state that monaghan where the chamipionship team and they would win on sunday?

Maguire01

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 20, 2009, 11:27:04 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 20, 2009, 09:30:23 AM
Quote from: timmyot501 on May 20, 2009, 09:28:39 AM
When are monaghan suppose to name their team? 

Today, apparently.

Don't 'houl' your breath..

That's according to today's Irish News, but yeah, it's a bit early for Banty!

Main Street

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on May 20, 2009, 04:37:56 PM

Kaiser you turned that piece on its head - i thought you where going to state that monaghan where the chamipionship team and they would win on sunday?
But Keysir neglected to take into the reckoning that Monaghan have scored 2 points from 45´s this season, this is an entirely new phenomenon.
So that shaky hesitant one point win prediction for Derry has a 50% chance of being wiped out, should Monaghan get a 45.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 20, 2009, 01:13:05 PM

I can't speak for Lynchboy but I can't see it being a problem. After all Cassidy has planned a system with this in mind and when ytou look closely at it, virtually no one was regulars. EG. how many games did Niall McCusker and Enda Muldoon and Mark Lynch play during the league?

illdecide

As an Armagh man (totally neutral) I'm gonna tip Monaghan to win by 1-2pts. the reason for this i believe Derry have a few injury's to certain individuals and with Monaghan loosing in the 1st round last year they will be a bit more prepared...!!!
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Keyser soze

MS & TFAL. Please read that post again, i specifically stated that the league did not give any indication of what might happen in the championship!!

Don't make me have to speak to you again on this matter!! ;D

MS you mispelled my name. As i'm a newbie and i'm not entirely sure what the correct protocol is i'll keep everything shipshape by reporting you to the mods.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on May 20, 2009, 05:01:15 PM

But Keysir neglected to take into the reckoning that Monaghan have scored 2 points from 45´s this season, this is an entirely new phenomenon.
So that shaky hesitant one point win prediction for Derry has a 50% chance of being wiped out, should Monaghan get a 45.

:D
Yes, on fire with the 45s this year!

Oakleafer93

Quote from: Main Street on May 20, 2009, 05:01:15 PM

But should Derry get a sideline ball from anywhere in the filed James Kielt or Eoin Bradley will slot it over ;)