Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

I agree that it holds advantages for the team but reckon it depends..

We played Down in '07 in a newly opened Park Esler. It's a fantastic setup and all of the crowd are very close to the action making the atmosphere close to electric. Because there was such a large 'vocal' Monaghan support there I reckon it was as advantageous for us as it was for Down. So it canceled out or offset the home advantage to a certain degree if you like..

On the other hand take St Tiernach's Park Clones, I don't feel that Monaghan get the same home advantage benefit from Clones as say Fermanagh do in Brewster or Derry in Celtic Park or Donegal in MacCumhaill park etc. etc. This is fairly obvious in that Tyrone and Armagh have played a lot more 'white hot championship' games there in the past 10 years than Monaghan have, therefore giving them as much if not more advantage by playing in Clones than any of their Ulster opponents.

Alot of it is psychological I reckon. If it's talked about that 'X' is a cauldron etc. etc. then it can have an effect on the away players. A large traveling support is key to offset the advantage of the usually large home support!

Fortunately Monaghan have that large traveling support, for a small county, and I reckon it can play a big part in the overall outcome (here's hoping anyways!)

Maguire01

Exactly right.

I didn't feel we had a harder job last year against Fermanagh (despite the way it went) or Donegal because we were away from home. Monaghan will bring big support and could well outnumber Derry in Celtic Park. It may be some advantage to Derry, but not a massive advantage.

(And before anyone accuses me of being cocky, i'm not talking about actually playing Derry - i expect that to be a very tough encounter - i just don't think their home advantage will be as significant a factor as some people think.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 01, 2009, 01:18:46 PM
Exactly right.

I didn't feel we had a harder job last year against Fermanagh (despite the way it went) or Donegal because we were away from home. Monaghan will bring big support and could well outnumber Derry in Celtic Park. It may be some advantage to Derry, but not a massive advantage.

(And before anyone accuses me of being cocky, i'm not talking about actually playing Derry - i expect that to be a very tough encounter - i just don't think their home advantage will be as significant a factor as some people think.

Agree Maguire01 but it should be noted that having a good record (which Derry have in Celtic Park) at a particular venue can be advantageous, if used right by the management. If it leads to complacency then it's VERY BAD!!

As I said, it depends.  ???

Oakleafer1993

Derry have a good record in celtic park - rarely beaten over the years.

Main Street

Odds are getting stacked higher and higher against Monaghan.

whiskeysteve

Celtic park virtually guarantees us a 10 point victory
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

DennistheMenace

Derry at Celtic Park have a formidable record so don't know why some people don't think it's a big advantage for them.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on May 01, 2009, 02:39:15 PM
Odds are getting stacked higher and higher against Monaghan.
...and we all know that Derry crumble any time they are hot favourites, so monaghan will surely win !
;)

Schkite

Everything points towards a Derry win...

Oakleafer1993

I hear that the Derry county board are employing those stewards from Casement Park - any monaghan supporter who cheers louder than his Derry opposite number will be ejected from the ground and and thrown to the local residents who will eat then alive in the bogside. That should give us massive advantage ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on May 01, 2009, 05:05:57 PM
I hear that the Derry county board are employing those stewards from Casement Park - any monaghan supporter who cheers louder than his Derry opposite number will be ejected from the ground and and thrown to the local residents who will eat then alive in the bogside. That should give us massive advantage ;)
sure we all know that the monaghan support are more 'vociferous' (some say rough  ;))

plus am hearing that 'the bogmen' are reforming to lead the monaghan chants in Celtic park that day !
Monaghan are home and dry  :D

Oakleafer93

Well if we have a similar story to the last time we played Championship footnball in Celtic Park, I'll be happy enough!

Schkite

That's a bit confusing there with the two Oakleafers!

Oakleafer1993

I am 1993 - the other 93  only joined 2 months ago ???

Main Street

The Farney Army pack a decent size punch, considering how small the county is and how relatively weak the GAA scene is there to the bigger counties..

Where did Max get to? I was hoping to get a decent size bet in?