Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schkite

Quote from: Logan on May 02, 2009, 02:37:07 PM
Quote from: Schkite on May 02, 2009, 02:00:42 PM
Eoin's a good man for a goal alright, it'll be interesting to see who's on him, I'd imagine Dessie will have Paddy again.

You mention Monaghan getting an absolute plastering against Armagh, what game was that? 2004? If so then it's completely different to now.

I don't think Dessie started on him last year as he was on the 40 ....  ::)

Did I say he started on him, no I said he was on him and he was after a bit! And he had him the year before anyway as you know.

Logan

Quote from: Schkite on May 02, 2009, 03:11:43 PM
Logan, how have Monaghan not changed since 2004? Take a look at that team and tell me. There may be maybe half the players still there but all have improved considerably and most bulked up alot too. Monaghan were at the very bottom rung of the ladder that year, of course it was boys against men, did you think it would be a tight contest?
Monaghan have improved, I'm not saying that.

The players are the same, yes, but sure they have changed and they have improved - But the style is more or less the same

But while some may have improved - no they haven't 'bulked up alot too'

Logan

Quote from: Schkite on May 02, 2009, 03:15:32 PM
Quote from: Logan on May 02, 2009, 02:37:07 PM
Quote from: Schkite on May 02, 2009, 02:00:42 PM
Eoin's a good man for a goal alright, it'll be interesting to see who's on him, I'd imagine Dessie will have Paddy again.

You mention Monaghan getting an absolute plastering against Armagh, what game was that? 2004? If so then it's completely different to now.

I don't think Dessie started on him last year as he was on the 40 ....  ::)

Christ relax man - you not get a rub last night?
;D

Did I say he started on him, no I said he was on him and he was after a bit! And he had him the year before anyway as you know.

Schkite

Just trying to convince myself I was right Logan, and you have to go confusing me telling me where Bradley was lined out!  ;)

Anyway, on the bulking up thing, I suppose it's a matter of opinion. The weights have been hit more than they were under Coyle. Banty, and then McElkennon have changed things a good bit. If you looked at some of the players then and now you'd see a good difference I'm sure. Sure I suppose it doesn't matter much if they bulked a bit anyway, they're still a crowd of midgets!

Logan

I agree Monaghan look to be playing better football than under Coyle - or in fact in a long time. It's not even a case of looking - they are.

But without trying to insult any Monaghan people here I think (some) Monaghan people got a wee bit carried away with the Div 2 win a few years ago - Monaghan now are are not as good as the 70's and 80's team that was very physical and unlike Kerry, Cork and others who have played in Div 1 much more (Derry incuded), they have a bit more to improve before they challenge properly for All Irelands. The trophy lifted in Croker a few years ago is not the same one youse won in the mid 80's with a great team.

Of course the Div1 doesn't garauntee anything - look at Derry, but I do think the level of football is higher and would suit Monaghan alot better in the championship.

And the is the funny thing - I think Monaghan are height wise not too much smaller than the Derry boys overall - I still think they look weaker.

Would you not agree with those points???

I think Monaghan need to change their style a little - which was my original point and maybe work on the physical aspect a little more.

Anyway ... they're a good team to watch with some very good players who deserve a good run in Div 1.

Logan

By the way Schkite - do you know that Fergus Connolly guy from Monaghan or what exactly he did with the Bradleys?
Where is he from? Is he in Wales all the time?

Schkite

Oh I agree about the league a few years ago. But you have to remember the state Monaghan football was in before that league campaign, that's why there was such a big deal made of it. And the pitch invasion was down to the dramatic finale more than anything else, it looked like it was gone but we were gifted it back! It was a big achievement considering how we performed the previous year. The same thing wouldn't happen now, there's bigger goals for the team now.

Fergus Connolly's from Scotstown, don't know a whole lot about him myself to be honest. Think he trained the Derry footballers for a bit, but don't know if that was a long-term thing or just a few sessions. He's the Welsh RFU's sport science co-ordinator at the minute so I'd say that would take up most of his time alright.

Oakleafer93

Logan
QuoteMidfield both teams will struggle. Monaghan have two players too similar and Derry have only one very good one Doherty - with two halves in Diver and Muldoon. I think on paper Derry should shade it - but if either dominate like Monaghan did last year then they'll swing it.

Are you for real? Derry have arguably one of the best midfield set-ups in the country with Fergal Doc and either Muldoon or Patsy Bradley able to play nu,mber 9. Throughout the entire league campaign Derrys midfield dominated, and Fergal only played 3 games!

Logan

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 02, 2009, 06:36:24 PM
Logan
QuoteMidfield both teams will struggle. Monaghan have two players too similar and Derry have only one very good one Doherty - with two halves in Diver and Muldoon. I think on paper Derry should shade it - but if either dominate like Monaghan did last year then they'll swing it.

Are you for real? Derry have arguably one of the best midfield set-ups in the country with Fergal Doc and either Muldoon or Patsy Bradley able to play nu,mber 9. Throughout the entire league campaign Derrys midfield dominated, and Fergal only played 3 games!
Come on - I'm being fair

Yes ... all of what you said is true - except that -
1. Fergal Doherty (a great player) has only played 3 games and is not at full fitness yet - should be close by the Monaghan game
2. Patsy is injured in case you didn't know - very good player but has been known to blow hot and cold
3. Joe Diver is a great player but not consistent over the full 70
4. Enda Muldoon is a fantastic player - one of the greats - but he also is not able for a full game

All of which means that Monaghan have their best chance ever to break even in midfield (which they did last year).

Logan

Quote from: Schkite on May 02, 2009, 04:39:11 PM
Oh I agree about the league a few years ago. But you have to remember the state Monaghan football was in before that league campaign, that's why there was such a big deal made of it. And the pitch invasion was down to the dramatic finale more than anything else, it looked like it was gone but we were gifted it back! It was a big achievement considering how we performed the previous year. The same thing wouldn't happen now, there's bigger goals for the team now.

Fergus Connolly's from Scotstown, don't know a whole lot about him myself to be honest. Think he trained the Derry footballers for a bit, but don't know if that was a long-term thing or just a few sessions. He's the Welsh RFU's sport science co-ordinator at the minute so I'd say that would take up most of his time alright.

Well according to that article the Bradleys seem to think enough of him - surprised he wasn't with Monaghan.
Did he train Scotstown also? They've been off the radar for a while.

Overthebar!

fair enough point about the midfield there logan,thon oakleaf93 blade doesnt have a clue. just a quick question. have you left the house the day?ye havent been off this thing!

Logan

Quote from: Overthebar! on May 02, 2009, 09:54:28 PM
fair enough point about the midfield there logan,thon oakleaf93 blade doesnt have a clue. just a quick question. have you left the house the day?ye havent been off this thing!
Haha ... watched the rugby - feck all else on!
Just reading mostly - trying to learn a bit more about strength for football too so that's why I was so interested in the article about the Bradleys and Fergus Connolly

Overthebar!

Quote from: Logan on May 02, 2009, 09:57:04 PM
Haha ... watched the rugby - feck all else on!
Just reading mostly - trying to learn a bit more about strength for football too so that's why I was so interested in the article about the Bradleys and Fergus Connolly

anyone i have spoke to seems to speak highly of him, you seen this?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Forum/MessagePage.aspx?TopicID=13622

he doesnt seem to be in the media spotlight much else mind

Logan

Thanks for that sur - that's a pretty impressive list of people to have trained.

It's rare to find someone not looking for the media spotlight too or not wanting to talk about themselves.

Maguire01

Quote from: Logan on May 02, 2009, 04:02:37 PM
But without trying to insult any Monaghan people here I think (some) Monaghan people got a wee bit carried away with the Div 2 win a few years ago
I don't think anyone in Monaghan is talking about the Division 2 final any more. Since then we've played one season in Division 1, reached and Ulster Final, reached the AI Quarter Finals and Round 3 (on both occasions going out narrowly to Kerry), beaten Down and Derry (twice) in the Championship for the first time in many years, beaten Donegal twice in the Championship, beaten the likes of Armagh, Dublin and Cork in the league, and now were back in Division 1.

As has been said, 2005 was exceptional because of what had gone before, but a lot more water has gone under the bridge since then.