Martinoneillsandroykeanesrepublicofireland.

Started by The Real Laoislad, April 22, 2009, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: gallsman on November 16, 2011, 07:41:15 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 16, 2011, 11:09:49 AM
He referred to Ireland qualifyng several times as they this, they that, there fans,  etc... which without being pedantic i found disappointing, it annoys me when i hear the english born Irish players doing that but even more so Roy shouldnt be at it imo, I dont think utv or the brit public would mind him refer to his country as we...i just dont get it.

As mentioned before, you were disappointed by Marty Clarke writing "Northern Ireland" on his arm, so forgive me for not caring if Roy upset you.

Have always maintained that Keane is a bollocks, but the fact he said "they" instead of "we"? Cop the f**k on like.
Nothing to forgive Gallsman, i wasnt upset, just disappointed, and it stayed in my conciousness for about 30 secs like you know. Unlike the 4/5 yrs and counting some of the saddos on here remember the perceived negatives i said. Gallsman i certainly cant remember nore do i want to remember anything you or anyone else says, nore am i bitter or pityful enough to store it in my memory bank. What does that say about you?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

tyssam5

Quote from: Main Street on November 16, 2011, 11:39:14 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on November 16, 2011, 08:50:27 PM
[
Wasn't necessarily calling him a racist, although he did say live on telly at half time in the Villareal v City game that what else would you expect from the Spanish when they were diving, hardly racist tho

Good old KeanO - legend

Ironic that Roy was the first player to be booked in the EPL for diving to win a penalty.

A great player and no slighting of his ability not be regarded as one of our greatest.
Is he any good at the punditry thing? can't be that difficult to sound intelligent on ITV, isn't Andy Townshend there?

He's there but I don't know how intelligent he sounds. He had Davids on with him once and someone on here was writing about the look on Andy's face as Davids was explaining a tactical point, looked like he was listening to Steven Hawking explaining quantum mechanics!

Milltown Row2

Yes the wobble has him down as a fine player. says it all
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

michael d

failed manager now trying to be a pundit-these were the type of people he used to give out about.he cannot do without a bit of attention

ballinaman

Quote from: thewobbler on November 16, 2011, 11:04:15 PM
It's probably been said before, but Roy Keane could have raped and buggered Mother Teresa in front of a classroom of disabled children, and some of his fans would still worship the ground he walks on.

He was a very fine footballer, but that shouldn't disguise his troubled nature.
That's a bit harsh, you'd need the full story. What if she accused him of feigning injury to skip Palm Sunday Mass?

screenexile

Finest player to wear the Irish Jersey or the finest player to disgrace the Irish Jersey . . . I know which Camp I'm in!

An ego so big that he reckoned he was bigger than the Country and then Man Utd in the end. He's been shown up as an asshole on many's an occasion and his ego means he will never succeed as a manager.

Whatever about Ferguson (and I can't stand him) he didn't let his ego get in the way when dealing with Rooney as he knew that in certain situations the Club was more important than he is. Keane has not learned this in any shape or form.

For all his 'greatness' as a footballer I would still have him behind Scholes from that era and I think his ability has been much exaggerated when you try and compare him to the best around today!!

thewobbler

I've no time for the man, but he was a much better player than Scholes. Scholes never quite got in the goals again once Keane's driving force behind him was removed.

By the way, Scholes also let his county down, albeit in a much more adult way.

Stevie g 8

good player in terms of commitment but talent wise ireland and man had far greater

Declan

Ireland have had some very good players over the years but a few real world class players. Giles to my mind is out on top followed closely by Keane,  Carey, McGrath and then Brady. Jobs are limited enough for ex-players so unless he decides to go back into coaching/managing then we can look forward to hearing Roy's musings on TV - I think it's great

screenexile

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on November 17, 2011, 05:20:13 PM
good player in terms of commitment but talent wise ireland and man had far greater

Ireland had far more committed players also!! Y'know like the ones that didn't walk out on their country during a World Cup!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on November 17, 2011, 10:44:08 PM
Quote from: Stevie g 8 on November 17, 2011, 05:20:13 PM

Ireland had far more committed players also!! Y'know like the ones that didn't walk out on their country during a World Cup!

I think the current posts are about him being the best player Ireland had, I for thought he was outstanding and by himself drag Ireland into that World Cup on his own. But that's just my opinion.

I wanted him to stay at the World Cup also.

Yes he was very head strong, but most winners are. He made his decision at the time and so did Mick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

He was an integral part of the WCQ2002 campaign with two brilliant performances and two very good performances.
But you'd have to have those special Roy Keane blinkers on, to think he dragged us there alone.

He wasn't there when Ireland beat Estonia away or held on against Iran in the 2nd leg. Others came to the fore when needed.
It was Matt Holland who secured the away draw against Portugal in a game that was lost.
It wasn't him who scored against Holland away or who saved the crucial point at the end.
I  can't count the nr of saves Given made throughout, but those  2 brilliant ones against Iran stand out, with a half paced Roy lost at sea.

I'm fed up with this myth about Roy, that he dragged us to the 2002 WC.  It's a crock of dung.

magpie seanie

Can someone lock this thread? There's nothing to be gained by going down this road, is there?

sammymaguire

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 18, 2011, 11:42:32 AM
Can someone lock this thread? There's nothing to be gained by going down this road, is there?

a little bit of debate on the pros and cons of Roy Keane, what he is, what he was, what he stands for etc... whats wrong with that?, some love him, some loathe him...
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!