Martinoneillsandroykeanesrepublicofireland.

Started by The Real Laoislad, April 22, 2009, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 21, 2009, 01:54:08 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 21, 2009, 01:49:40 AM
He was absolutely correct about the Georgia game though!

He was,he was also correct in saying we should get over it and move on...
The rest was just a bitter rant from a man with a huge chip on his shoulder and a even bigger grudge against the FAI and some of the players

No argument there!

muppet

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 21, 2009, 01:26:15 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 20, 2009, 11:08:35 PM
Quote from: stew on November 20, 2009, 11:01:27 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 20, 2009, 10:56:06 PM
Quote from: stew on November 20, 2009, 10:50:50 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on November 20, 2009, 10:48:52 PM
Stew name me the other world class players from Ireand that would get on 'your' best world 11 better than Keane?

Oh Ah Paul McGrath.

Liam Brady.

John Giles.

Thats about it, the man was an unreal footballer.

All great players, but he has more medals than the three put together and no that doesn't make him better on it's own (**waits for the John O'Shea argument**) but the fact that he was the captain and frequently dragged his team to many of those titles does. None of the others did that and I say that as a huge Liam Brady fan.

Medals have feck all to do with it, (well they do a wee bit)  but I simply put forth names I would put ahead of keanes on the teamsheet, I thought about Moran and decided he was about Keanes equal so not better, Whelen, although a great player and servant for ireland was not the player Roy was but he was close. In my opinion. Keane to me is one of the top 100 players ever to play the game, he was that influencial.

Of those mentioned only Whelan understood, and had the ability to control, the tempo of a game as well as Keane. But he was not quite the athlete Keane was which is why I would put Keane ahead of Ronnie.

Giles was a similar type of player in a different era which makes it hard for me to compare. When Giles deliberately took out a player due to a remark in an earlier game the tackle was celebrated (in Mark Lawrenson's book). When Keane did it there was outrage.

Brady was a one off,more talented than any of the rest and capable of winning a ame on his own. But he could be marked out of a game and frequently was unfortunately.

McGrath could have been the best of the lot but for his personal demons. It is (quite rightly) ignored that he missed many games for his club and country due to none footballing issues.

Lazy comment. Paul McGrath 83 caps... Roy Keane 67   McGrath was world class

Even lazier reply. Two magnificent careers summed up in 2 numbers?
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Absolutly correct?
He wasn't.

magickingdom

who cares what the bitter soon to be a league 1 manager thinks. .  fail to prepare, prepare to fail ha ha

J70

Quote from: Main Street on November 21, 2009, 01:16:00 PM
Absolutly correct?
He wasn't.

Actually, I think he was, but there you go.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on November 21, 2009, 01:55:32 PM
Absolutly correct?
He wasn't.

Absolutely correct? No room for doubt that he was 100% correct?

I agree with Keane when he say the game should not be replayed.

Keane is reported as saying that
he doesn't believe the game should be replayed, pointing out that Ireland did not call for a replay after a controversial penalty saw them beat Georgia in the group stages.

There is no comparison between the Henry deliberate handball/cheating, to the penalty awarded by the ref in the game against Georgia.
The ref was in an excellent position, no Irish player cheated, the ball was deemed to be shielded away deliberatly by the Georgian defender from going in the direction of Keane? (who was anyway offside.)
It was a very soft penalty.
Those decisions balance out over a campaign, we should have had a stonewall penalty in Montenegro etc etc.
It is farcical for Keane to even mention the georgian penalty in the same breath as the play off game

J70

Quote from: Main Street on November 21, 2009, 02:28:33 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 21, 2009, 01:55:32 PM
Absolutly correct?
He wasn't.

Absolutely correct? No room for doubt that he was 100% correct?

Keane is reported as saying that
he doesn't believe the game should be replayed, pointing out that Ireland did not call for a replay after a controversial penalty saw them beat Georgia in the group stages.

There is no comparison between the Henry deliberate handball/cheating, to the penalty awarded by the ref in the game against Georgia.
The ref was in an excellent position, no Irish player cheated, the ball was deemed to be shielded away deliberatly by the Georgian defender from going in the direction of Keane? (who was anyway offside.)
It was a very soft penalty.
Those decisions balance out over a campaign, we should have had a stonewall penalty in Montenegro etc etc.
It is farcical for Keane to even mention the georgian penalty in the same breath as the play off game

How is it farcical? The point of the Georgia penalty is that there was no national hysteria when we got a wrongly awarded penalty, which turned out to be vital in getting that second spot (yes, I know we finished four ahead of Bulgaria in the end, but I'm sure I don't have to spell out for you the effects that the two lost points - or three as we might well have lost the game without the penalty - might have had on the race for second spot). As Keane says, there was no clamouring to get the game replayed. There were no government ministers getting themselves involved. Its hypocrisy, plain and simple. We're happy enough when these decisions go for us, as are supporters of all teams. The difference is that there is not normally an outbreak of nationwide hysteria when they go against other teams - they simply accept it as part of the game (as you say, it goes both ways over time) and move on with at least a little dignity (the English being an exception, of course).

And if its all about the act of cheating (i.e. had France won by an offside goal none of this would have happened ::)), then where the f**k are we when our own do it? I've seen Damien Duff go down nice and easy to win frees (and maybe even a penalty, if memory serves) for Ireland. Robbie Keane handled a couple of times the other night (if the only difference is that the ref saw it, then why aren't Keane's career achievements being consigned to the dustbin in favour of this new truth, a la Henry?). How often do you see cheating on the GAA pitch?

Nitpick the differences all you want. Roy Keane is correct in my opinion.

muppet

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 21, 2009, 05:01:59 PM
Thats rather rich coming from the likes of you...but then you do think quite highly of yourself so maybe thats why you are such a fan of Keane,he also has a tendency to see no wrong in himself.
But if that is indeed true about me and as someone as great as you has now said it I suspect it probably is true then I suppose I should be a expert and more than qualified to see the bitterness in Mr.Keane.. :D

I haven't started a single thread on Keane. I don't start threads pointing out how bitter he is. I honestly don't care about Roy Keane and certainly don't need to attack cyberworld every time he opens his mouth I also don't need to pray for, and cheer, any bad results he might have in his career.

You of course are the voice of reason with regard to Keane.

MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Minder

I think they are a good thing to beat Sheffield Wed now at evens.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Dinny Breen

Didn't say I agreed with him, I just like the man.

Minder I took your advice
#newbridgeornowhere

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2009, 05:19:25 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 21, 2009, 05:13:31 PM
I like Roy Keane.

Make a run for it before LL comes back.

That's unfair,I have lost some weight in the last few weeks...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

muppet

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 21, 2009, 05:25:19 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2009, 05:19:25 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 21, 2009, 05:13:31 PM
I like Roy Keane.

Make a run for it before LL comes back.

That's unfair,I have lost some weight in the last few weeks...

That is because of all the people you have been chasing.
MWWSI 2017