National League Final - Kerry v Derry

Started by Kerry Mike, April 20, 2009, 08:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

A repeat of last year's final and the makings of a cracking gam, yet not a peep about the second most important final in senior intercounty football.  Fecks sake even Hogan stand are talking about it....

Jack has tried out nearly 40 players in the league and it will be difficult to pick his best 15 for the final, but here's my tuppance worth based on what I have seen over the last few weeks and taking into account a good few missing with injuries etc..

Ger Reidy
Padraig Reidy
Tom O'Sullivan
Killian Young
Tomas O'Se
Aidan O'Mahony
Tommy Griffin
David Moran
Anthony Maher
Paul Galvin
Tommy Walsh
Donnacha Walsh
Colm Cooper
Kieran Donaghy
Darren O'Sullivan (capt)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

oakleafgael

TBH I have very mixed feelings about it. Great to be in a national final and a good test against one of the top two teams in the country but the minds of the team will surely be elsewhere.

Kerry Mike

Their minds will surely be elsewhere after the shocking news out today from Derry, and its extra sad it has happened this week of all weeks but if there is any consolation for Derry its that it may act as a binding force or motivation for the players involved not that it really matters all that much as you say.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Puckoon

Do any of the kerry folks reckon the return of Tadgh Kennelly will be a bit of a damp squid, or will he be in the heat of the action come the days of the short grass?

Kerry Mike

He is still adapting back to football and has done nothing really in the league yet to stake a permanant place on the team, his fitness is good though even if he was injured for the Dublin game, he has the football skills in him and with the championship skelping to come in training it might bring it out of him, he is still a dark horse though but at the moment I can see him making an impact of the bench.
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Oakleafer93

I though for a while we were just going for a day out with most if our key players missing Doc, Niall Mc Cusker (who was already ruled out of the game before the tragic incident at the weekend) and apparently SM Lockhart and Patsy Bradley both were injured in club games. But seeing Kerrys injury list it looks like were in with a shot, I'm not going to Dublin with too high of expectation but what will be will be and its there for the taking. Theres 6-7 people maybe more who don't have a Nat League medal so its worth fighting for, I'm sure DC won't have them busting a gut but I'm sure he's not going to try and lose it. 2-3 points in anyones favour.

Oakleafer93

Kerry Mike is Gooch and Galvin not injured?

Kerry Mike

We are begining to sound like Tyrone moaning about injuries but here goes anyway............

Kerry star Colm Cooper has emerged as an injury doubt for next Sunday's NFL final against Derry after being injured in a weekend club game.

'Gooch' tweaked his hamstring in Dr Croke's victory over Killarney rivals Spa on Saturday, and faces a race against time to be fit for the Croke Park showdown.

Kingdom boss Jack O'Connor is also sweating on the fitness of Paul Galvin who has a groin strain (Fecking McMenimen and his groping  >:( ), while Marc O Se (medial ligaments), Seamus Scanlon (ankle) and Declan O'Sullivan (hamstring) are definitely ruled out.

Also on the doubtful list are Padraig Reidy, Aidan O'Shea, Tommy Walsh, Micheal Quirke and Tommy Griffin.

Jaysus thats 5 out of my selection already and it's only Monday.

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

marym

Cork were the same a few weeks ago with the injuries. Think things are a bit better but  not perfect. Heard one of the selectors on the radio. He put it down to heavy training.

fitzroyalty

Fancy Derry myself with Cassidy playing a few mind games the whole "its nice to be in a final but its a good performance we're looking for" doesn't wash with me. the sneak. both teams depleted but i think derry are able to cause an upset, by one point!

Gaffer

Quote from: Kerry Mike on April 20, 2009, 10:40:56 PM
We are begining to sound like Tyrone moaning about injuries but here goes anyway............

Kerry star Colm Cooper has emerged as an injury doubt for next Sunday's NFL final against Derry after being injured in a weekend club game.

'Gooch' tweaked his hamstring in Dr Croke's victory over Killarney rivals Spa on Saturday, and faces a race against time to be fit for the Croke Park showdown.

Kingdom boss Jack O'Connor is also sweating on the fitness of Paul Galvin who has a groin strain (Fecking McMenimen and his groping  >:( ), while Marc O Se (medial ligaments), Seamus Scanlon (ankle) and Declan O'Sullivan (hamstring) are definitely ruled out.

Also on the doubtful list are Padraig Reidy, Aidan O'Shea, Tommy Walsh, Micheal Quirke and Tommy Griffin.

Jaysus thats 5 out of my selection already and it's only Monday.

So its ok for you to highlight injuries in the Kerry camp but its not ok for Tyrone to do similar?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Main Street

KM was just answering a question, under duress.

Kentucky Blue

I think if derry had have been picking from a full squad they may have very well went full out as cassidy is not a fan of challenge games. So bar, in-house games this would have been the last opportunity for a lot of men to put themselves in the mix for a starting berth. If any man could perform well against the kingdom he would have went a long way towards nailing down a place.

With the injuries in both camps it's hard to gauge what will happen. Would still have to fancy Kerry but thats not to say us Derry folk are only travelling down in hope.

Great opportunity for the likes of Mark Lynch to get some more game time under his belt. The likes of Diver has seemed to slip down the pecking order but with patsy out and muldoon maybe gone too it could be a big chance for him. Things have not been going his way thus far but still a bit asset if he can harness that raw passion and drive in the right manner i feel.

With the injuries it will open the door for other men. Wont be too disappointed if we lose but when you get this far and the cost of going to the games these days i just hope Derry put up a good fight.
(Plus a good chance to check out Monaghan before hand!)

Rav67

Quote from: Kerry Mike on April 20, 2009, 08:42:13 PM
A repeat of last year's final and the makings of a cracking gam, yet not a peep about the second most important final in senior intercounty football. 

Maybe for Kerry lads, provincial championships are still waaaay more important in Ulster, certainly for Derry who have won 4 leagues since last winning an Anglo-Celt.

Injuries considered I'd fancy Kerry, hopefully we'll give them a right good battle though to keep a bit of momentum for the Monaghan game.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Rav67 on April 21, 2009, 01:48:47 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on April 20, 2009, 08:42:13 PM
A repeat of last year's final and the makings of a cracking gam, yet not a peep about the second most important final in senior intercounty football. 

Maybe for Kerry lads, provincial championships are still waaaay more important in Ulster, certainly for Derry who have won 4 leagues since last winning an Anglo-Celt.

Injuries considered I'd fancy Kerry, hopefully we'll give them a right good battle though to keep a bit of momentum for the Monaghan game.

Cassidy will have to make sure and rein in our boys in case they get too excited and rack up a 10 point victory or something in that region. Its not the time to show our hand.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w