Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

I don't like the way people are so quick to write players off. If Micky Harte and Dooher himself still think he has something to offer then I believe it. There's no guarentee at this stage of his career but if he can stay injury free and get a few decent months training behind him he could have another decent season.

It has to be remembered that he missed a large portion of last year through injury which would explain why he wasn't at his best come championship. A lot of people had him finished in 2007 as well but he bounced back in style the next year. It will be great to see him back playing for Tyrone again.

ziggysego

Dooher's his own man and he knows what his body is capable of. If he feels he has another year in him, then I say let him. If he wants to retire, then that's his decision. He has given a lot to Tyrone football over the years and I for one will not be making the decision for him.
Testing Accessibility

nothingbettertobeat

Fear ón Srath Bán your spot on. brian dooher is no mug. lets be honesy hes probably nt gonna be the 70 minute player that hs been in previous seasons but if Tyrone were struggling in a game and point or two down i know who the first man id have coming on to give the side a lift. he empties the tank everytime he crosses the white line.
he had a below standard year last year like so many of the tyrone team jordan, davy, conor gormley, and this team seems to bounce back every second season so let them at it. the end of 2010 will be the end for a few of them if they are not successful. be realistic when i mean nat been successful i mean nat lifting sam maguire cause anything else in these players eyes that have had decorated careers would be seen as failure.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

EC Unique

Agree with you all that if he and Mickey feel he has something to offer then how can we question it. I would however question why he is made captain. The Captain IMHO should be a player that is likely to starting most of the games and not somebody who is likely to be struggling and coming on as an impact sub. Brian is obviously a very good talker in the changing room etc and being captain or not should not effect this. Time for the armband to move on I think.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: EC Unique on January 22, 2010, 12:01:34 AM
Agree with you all that if he and Mickey feel he has something to offer then how can we question it. I would however nwhy he is made captain. The Captain IMHO should be a player that is likely to starting most of the games and not somebody who is likely to be struggling and coming on as an impact sub. Brian is obviously a very good talker in the changing room etc and being captain or not should not effect this. Time for the armband to move on I think.

Probably made him captain to entice him to stay on.

Gaffer

Quote from: nothingbettertobeat on January 21, 2010, 11:19:08 PM
Fear ón Srath Bán your spot on. brian dooher is no mug. lets be honesy hes probably nt gonna be the 70 minute player that hs been in previous seasons but if Tyrone were struggling in a game and point or two down i know who the first man id have coming on to give the side a lift. he empties the tank everytime he crosses the white line.
he had a below standard year last year like so many of the tyrone team jordan, davy, conor gormley, and this team seems to bounce back every second season so let them at it. the end of 2010 will be the end for a few of them if they are not successful. be realistic when i mean nat been successful i mean nat lifting sam maguire cause anything else in these players eyes that have had decorated careers would be seen as failure.

Hate that expression. It's so McEneaney   ( Seamy...not Paddy )
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

never kickt a ball

Quote from: randomtask on January 21, 2010, 09:04:06 PM
i really do think dooher should retire, i really don't think he can cut at such a high level any more, he will not only do damage to his body but he may put in a few poor performances which may slightly tarnish an extremely successful inter county career. He has been a class player for Tyrone in the last decade and a half and i think he should call it a day
Quote from: mick the master on January 21, 2010, 09:38:47 PM
Quote from: randomtask on January 21, 2010, 09:04:06 PM
i really do think dooher should retire, i really don't think he can cut at such a high level any more, he will not only do damage to his body but he may put in a few poor performances which may slightly tarnish an extremely successful inter county career. He has been a class player for Tyrone in the last decade and a half and i think he should call it a day
i think the same his county days are over no harm to him he was great for tyrone football but just think he should call it a day and let the young guns at it!plus i think mickey should move the captaincy one to give some of his most senior players the honour to captain tyrone.personally i would love to see brain mc guigan made captain for all the sacrifices he has made through injury's etc

Looks like two more for this diet in September;

Baile an tuaigh

I'm going to say something that will sound crazy but I would love to see Brian Dooher try out at full forward. Imagine having a man with his brain, no all and composure 15 yards from the scoring zone. Would be worth a try for me. Think he would cause serious havoc.

10 Sean Cavanagh
11Brian Mc Guigan
12  Cooney
13 Marty Penrose
14 Brian Dooher
15 Stephen O Neill

When Wexford won the All-Ireland in 96 almost half the team were in there 30's. Hard to beat experience calms a team in times of need.

Zapatista

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on January 21, 2010, 11:11:47 PM
If Brian Dooher feels he has something to offer, he will have something to offer, and it won't be a pale shadow of his 'former self'. If he feels he's not up to it, he won't even attempt it.

A bit premature with the County obituary lads  ;)

I would have full confidence in Harte and Dooher to make that call too.

nrico2006

Alot of people are jumping the gun with Dooher here.  Last year the man was injured and missed the league and by the time he was ready to start playing it was summer, so he went into the championship with very little football or sharpness.  If he can recover from injury and get back abit earlier this year to get a run of games again then his season could pan out differently this year.  Anybody here who has played the game would realise that if you were out injured for 7 or 8 months it takes more than a few weeks to get anywhere near your normal level. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Club Rossa

I think he would be a good option coming off the bench,would lift players and supporters alike.

orangeman

Write off iron man Dooher at your peril !!! - Colm O'Rourke did it before and has been eating his hat ever since -

Dooher is a legend of a man who might surprise a few before the year is out.

nothingbettertobeat

nothing this man does will ever surprize me! he owes people of tyrone fuc" all".
had he listened to the men down through the years told him he wasnt good enough to win an all Ireland he'd achieved nothing except for his own mental strength and that off men like mickey harte wo stood by him.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

Tyrone Dreamer

Just betting back to the game the other night, Tyrone could be in trouble if the mark rule is introduced. Gallagher got 4 or 5 the other night in the second half. Couldnt understand though why Hub let him run 3 yards clear of him every time and then claim a free catch. Made no sense, if Hub had got out in front he would have had a chance to block of the simple catches.

Man Marker

Why do you think Mickey is so against the Mark!