Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Was impressed today by many in the Tyrone side. Cavanagh seemed to play just in front of the midfield picking up scraps, and doing plenty with it. McGuigan, deservedly won the TG4 MOTM, and is that really the same Mickey Murphy that played last. Definately played better, but I thought he had black hair??
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Redhandfan

Like O'Neill, I have to say that I feared the worst when I heard the teams being called out just before the start of today's game in Omagh.  I thought Mickey was maybe playing too many new faces against what was a fairly experienced Derry side.  However, the Harte man got it right again and it was a very encouraging day all round for the Red Hands.  A very impressive first half showing from just about everyone in a Tyrone jersey and, bad and all as Derry were, Mickey Harte and his backroom team can take a lot of positives from this derby match.  

Pascal McConnell...Didn't have much to do, but safe and reliable nonetheless. 7
Damien McCaul...Had a good joust with the lively Eoin Bradley.  Broke even.  A sound debut. 7
Cormac McGinley...Did as well as could be expected on a much speedier Paddy Bradley. 7
Paul Marlow...Ran into trouble once or twice but tackled well and can be satisfied with his day's work.  7
Davy Harte...Impressed big time in the first half and used his experience well. 7.5
Dermot Carlin...Outstanding in the first half and stood firm in the second.  Excellent as always going forward. 8
Brendan Boggs...Another of those who showed up well on his debut.  Showed no fear.  7.5
Michael Murphy...Scored a couple of nice points but possibly could have done more to support his midfield partner. 7
Sean Cavanagh...Captain for the day and led by example at midfield.  Outshone everyone in this sector. 8
Tommy McGuigan...Brilliantly lived up to his family name in the first half but did fade a bit after the break. 8
Owen Mulligan...A marked improvement from last week.  Much sharper and played the CHF role very well. 7.5
Colm Cavanagh...Took a number of big hits but still succeeded in making a big impression.  Always involved. 8
Damien McDermott...Some nice touches in the first half but not as impressive as the other debutants. 6.5
Paul Rouse...A big man who carried a major threat.  Excellent ball handling and use of possession. 8
Cathal McCarron...Took his goal well at the second attempt and can be pleased with his first senior outing. 8
Ryan Mellon...Replaced his injured Moy clubmate Sean Cavanagh in the second half and showed up well. 7
Enda McGinley...Replaced his injured EC clubmate Daisy McDermott in the second half and also did OK. 7
Martin Penrose...Came on for Davy Harte right on the stroke of full-time.  Not on long enough to be rated!  

Competition for places in the squad is now really hotting up and the only two new recruits we haven't seen in action yet are Galbally's Ciaran McCrory and Errigal Ciaran's Paul Quinn.  Fintona's Aidan McCarron should also be due a start next week.  The team selection should again be very interesting for the Cavan game next Saturday evening.

It is of course early days yet, and it should be remembered that we were probably every bit as optimistic this time last year about Tyrone's squad and prospects.  As 2006 proved, our fortunes can change very quickly.  However, so far so good.

Redhandfan

Quote from: ONeill on January 14, 2007, 09:28:01 PM
I was thinking today at half time, who would you introduce onto the 2005 team, and who would you replace:

P McConnell;
R McMenamin, J McMahon, M McGee;
D Harte, C Gormley, P Jordan;
E McGinley, S Cavanagh;
B Dooher (cpt), B McGuigan, R Mellon;
P Canavan, S O'Neill, O Mulligan.

Take Peter out of the equation.

Today's team:

P McConnell,
D McCaul, C McGinley, P Marlow,
D Harte, D Carlin, B Boggs,
M Murphy, S Cavanagh,
T McGuigan, O Mulligan, C Cavanagh,
C McCarron, P Rouse, D McDermott.

Add Gourley, Holmes, Justin McMahon, Mulgrew, Penrose, N Gormley, Murray, Devine, Curran, McCullagh (?), Hughes x 2, .......prob missing a few more

Would you like to be in Mickey's shoes?

It is perhaps a bit too early yet to be asking those kind of questions, O'Neill.  The new faces who impressed today and last week would need to be stringing a number of those type of displays together in this season's National league before we could start to make a strong case for them taking the places of the class of 2005.  However, Mickey does face some really big decisions over the next couple of weeks as to who he keeps in the squad for the NFL.

In saying that, one man who I do expect to break onto the Tyrone team and make a big impression in this season's league and championship is Justin McMahon.  It is hard to see him disrupting the established half back trio of Harte, Gormley and Jordan but the Omagh man could become a regular feature at midfield for Tyrone in 2007. 

Gerard Cavlan is another who will surely come into the reckoning.

Turfsmoke

Any reports about the Tyrone dinner on saturday night?

Norf Tyrone

QuoteAny reports about the Tyrone dinner on saturday night?

Yeah my mate was at it. He said it was nice, but the spuds were a wee bit cold, and the turkey was a tad bland, but not too bad. States the desert was lovely.

Over the Bar

QuoteAny reports about the Tyrone dinner on saturday night?

Was at it myself.  Other than the steak being cremated is was a great night with each captain from the 1950's team through to 2000's being interviewed by Micheal O'Muirheairtaigh although Frank McGuigan wasn't there so Mickey Harte spoke on behalf of the 70's team.  The Bardic theatre group did a short play based on a grandfather in the 1950's looking forward to Tyrone's success and his grandson in the present day looking backwards.   Everyone got a set of Tyrone Top Trumps cards on their seat.  Credit to Niall Laird for his sterling work.

Over the Bar

Some great 'debut' performances in Omagh and all our forwards & half forwards got on the scoresheet as did 2 of our half-backs!   If there's a silver-lining to Stephen O'Neill  getting suspended for the Dublin game its that it gives MH a chance to look at other options up front and will blood some of these new lads in Croker.

supersarsfields

Seamus Woods confirmed as manager for Drumragh for 2007.

Norf Tyrone

Updated managers for the ACL....anymore? 28 out of 48 in place to date!

Aghyaran- Mark Henry
An Charriag Mhor- Dominic Corrigan
Ardboe- Roger Keenan
Coalisland- Leo Quinn and Stevie Hughes
Cookstown
Donaghmore- Joe Faloon
Dromore- Noel McGinn
Errigal Ciaran-
Galbally- Paddy Tally
Killeeshil- Peter Baynes and Ollie Kelly 
Killyclogher- Tony Collins
Omagh- Tiffy Quinn/ McCaffrey

Clann na nGael- Ciaran McLaughlin
Clonoe- John Morrison
Derrylaughan
Dungannon
Edendork
Gortin
Kildress
Loughmacrory- Paddy McGuigan
Moy- Peter McArdle and Quinie Mallon
Pomeroy
Stewartstown
Trillick- Pat McNabb

Aghaloo
Augher- Barry Grimes
Brocagh
Drumquin
Eglish
Eskra- Eamon Kavanagh
Fintona-Dermot McGuigan and Paul Reid
Greencastle
Killyman
Moortown-Fred McVey
Strabane- Liam Sweeney
Urney- Gerry Corry and Martin Morgan

Beragh
Brackaville
Castlederg- John Lynch
Clogher- Stephen Quinn/ McCaughey
Derrytresk- Barney Campbell and Patsy Hanna
Dregish
Drumragh- Seamus Woods
Glenelly- Sean O'Kane
Newtownstewart
Owen Roes- Gerard Porter
Rock
Tattyreagh- Declan Armstrong

Rois

Norf, tell me, what are the chances of getting club tickets for Tyrone/Dublin?  Texted my dad earlier but no response as yet.

Norf Tyrone

Aye it should be no problem.
Send you a PM.

loughshore lad

Went to the game yesterday and watched a recording last night. Great first half display yesterday then as often happens when a team is out of sight at half time took the foot of the gas. Most of the new comers played well although was not overly impressed with McCaul - based on yesterday and the couple of club games I have senn him play I am not sure he is ready for county football yet. Harte potentially has a very tricky panel to pick for the National League although knowing him and how he operates he has it picked in his mind reguardless of how the McKenna cup pans out. Great to see Tommy give another good account of himself I think he is certainly good enough to be there but from a club perspective I would much rather see him play weekly for us rather than sit on the bench going stale. Any views on Micky Murphy? I know he scored 3 good points yesterday but he did not contribute much else. This will be his 3rd year around the squad but based on the few outings he has had for Tyrone and the few club games I have seen him in he doesnt strike me as a man who is about to break into the team.

never kickt a ball

Couple of observations. Ricey and yesterday Tommy McGuigan both stated that ALL places were up for grabs in the Tyrone team. Obviously this has been mentioned to the squad and with the good form of the newcomers (and some of the "old timers") this can only be good for the whole Tyrone set up. In addition Mickey Harte in his interview with TG4 stated that with injuries etc you need an initail squad of 30-35. This seems to be a change in direction from the time when he named 30 and that was it. Obviously last years experience and all this subsequent time on their hands has been put to good use.   

ziggysego

QuoteStudents row puts match on hold

Tyrone's game with Cavan this weekend in the McKenna Cup is on hold pending the outcome of an emergency Ulster Council meeting on Tuesday night.

The meeting will determine what, if any, punishment to hand down to Tyrone after they played four university students in Sunday's win over Derry.

Under the competition rules university teams have first preference on players who are also eligible for their county.

Tyrone boss Mickey Harte said the players opted to play for the county.

"The players made that decision. They were asked where did they wanted to go, and they chose Tyrone," said Harte.

However, under the McKenna Cup rules, as determined by the provincial council, Damian McCaul, Colm Cavanagh, Brendan Boggs (all UUJ) and Cathal McCarron (St Mary's) should have declared for their respective colleges.

"The Ulster Council position is that they have broken the regulations, and we'll have to see what to do," said Ulster Council chairman Micheal Greenan.

"It's not a matter for me, it's a matter for the council to deal with, and the council will deal with it."

One option is that the defending champions will be docked points for their controversial stance.

Tyrone are due to meet Cavan in the final and decisive Group B tie under lights at Breffni Park, with the winners going through to the semi-finals.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6263549.stm
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

QuoteMcNaughton is new Red Hands boss

Former Derry boss Kevin McNaughton has been appointed manager of the Tyrone senior hurlers.

The Cushendall man will bid to guide Tyrone to promotion from Division Three of the National League and to victory in the Nicky Rackard Cup.

He brings a wealth of experience to the job, having guided the Oak Leafers to two Ulster senior titles.

Under his guidance Derry almost caused a sensation when they ran Offaly close in an All-Ireland quarter-final.

McNaughton has already begun the task of assembling a squad for the NHL campaign, which begins on February 18 with a home game against neighbours Fermanagh.

He has been impressed by the application shown by the players during training sessions in Cookstown and Omagh.

And in preparation for the NHL, he plans to arrange a series of challenge matches.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6263381.stm

Could this be the kick start that Hurling needs in Tyrone? Lets hope so.
Testing Accessibility