Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.A.G. Lover

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on November 03, 2022, 10:06:21 AM
Quote from: Throw It Up Ref on November 03, 2022, 10:00:49 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 03, 2022, 09:23:52 AM
Quote from: ClubScene13 on November 02, 2022, 08:34:50 PM
Interesting to see what should come of it now. In terms of guidelines and rule books I really don't know what can be done outside of the obvious lengthy individual suspensions, which will likely be handed out.

Anything beyond this would be breaking new ground and more than likely result in appeals.
Worth noting the Moy had a player sent off for striking in the same incident, so that adds another layer to how this is dealt with.

Bottom line, the injuries incurred are unacceptable. I do struggle however to differentiate between one incident and another purely down to "damage caused" per se.

If a game this weekend has a similar one punch striking incident, are we to say this is fine as long as the player felled gets back on his feet and carries on? Obviously it is not fine, but this is normally the attitude with these things, as they happen regularly throughout a year's football. This one is especially tricky due to what happened the two lads, which again, should never happen at a football match.

All in all I wouldn't foresee much more than the usual lengthy individual punishments, what else can you do within the realms of sensible application of rules?

You know what will happen. Same as with every other incident, sweet FA and then it will all happen again somewhere else and somewhere else and the GAA will wonder why they have a problem. I understand Doris from Clonoe is finished now anyway.
The issue is much bigger than Moy v Clonoe or Tyrone GAA. It needs a national strategy, coupled with heavy sanctions from HQ for player and club. Stamp it right out before there is a fatality.

I would assume the same problems occur all over the country. No linesmen or neutral umpires at league games meaning the referee has no chance of seeing many of these incidents unfold. A lot of the time even when there are neutral officials and incidents are seen yellow cards are issued rather than the appropriate action. We're effectively telling our club players that we can't guarantee their wellbeing because our referees can't see everything that is going on.

One of the incidents in the weekends game was seen and a red card issued but the punishments don't tally with the actions.

Referee was assisted by linesmen and umpires last weekend

A Kildress man told me 2 of their officials had to act as "neutral" umpires with no officials sent to assist the referee in Edendorks play-off win v Gortin

WT4E

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on November 03, 2022, 10:57:41 AM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on November 03, 2022, 10:06:21 AM
Quote from: Throw It Up Ref on November 03, 2022, 10:00:49 AM
Quote from: trailer on November 03, 2022, 09:23:52 AM
Quote from: ClubScene13 on November 02, 2022, 08:34:50 PM
Interesting to see what should come of it now. In terms of guidelines and rule books I really don't know what can be done outside of the obvious lengthy individual suspensions, which will likely be handed out.

Anything beyond this would be breaking new ground and more than likely result in appeals.
Worth noting the Moy had a player sent off for striking in the same incident, so that adds another layer to how this is dealt with.

Bottom line, the injuries incurred are unacceptable. I do struggle however to differentiate between one incident and another purely down to "damage caused" per se.

If a game this weekend has a similar one punch striking incident, are we to say this is fine as long as the player felled gets back on his feet and carries on? Obviously it is not fine, but this is normally the attitude with these things, as they happen regularly throughout a year's football. This one is especially tricky due to what happened the two lads, which again, should never happen at a football match.

All in all I wouldn't foresee much more than the usual lengthy individual punishments, what else can you do within the realms of sensible application of rules?

You know what will happen. Same as with every other incident, sweet FA and then it will all happen again somewhere else and somewhere else and the GAA will wonder why they have a problem. I understand Doris from Clonoe is finished now anyway.
The issue is much bigger than Moy v Clonoe or Tyrone GAA. It needs a national strategy, coupled with heavy sanctions from HQ for player and club. Stamp it right out before there is a fatality.

I would assume the same problems occur all over the country. No linesmen or neutral umpires at league games meaning the referee has no chance of seeing many of these incidents unfold. A lot of the time even when there are neutral officials and incidents are seen yellow cards are issued rather than the appropriate action. We're effectively telling our club players that we can't guarantee their wellbeing because our referees can't see everything that is going on.

One of the incidents in the weekends game was seen and a red card issued but the punishments don't tally with the actions.

Referee was assisted by linesmen and umpires last weekend

A Kildress man told me 2 of their officials had to act as "neutral" umpires with no officials sent to assist the referee in Edendorks play-off win v Gortin

Why have you neutral in quote marks... sounds like a good story whatever happened with these umpires??

ClubScene13

Quote from: WT4E on November 03, 2022, 10:47:36 AM
Clonoe are bad losers!

Ah now, Kildress are no angels when it comes to the rougher side of the game. Maybe the current team is given the decline, but the Kildress sides I grew up with could always mix it with the best. I almost respected it. Glass houses and all that.

WT4E

Quote from: ClubScene13 on November 03, 2022, 11:53:35 AM
Quote from: WT4E on November 03, 2022, 10:47:36 AM
Clonoe are bad losers!

Ah now, Kildress are no angels when it comes to the rougher side of the game. Maybe the current team is given the decline, but the Kildress sides I grew up with could always mix it with the best. I almost respected it. Glass houses and all that.

Wasn't meant as a dig just an observation given all the commentary wasn't at the game. Moy wouldn't be on my list of all time favourite teams but again that day is gone! :)

Mikhailov

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 03, 2022, 03:41:46 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 03, 2022, 12:48:23 AM
Why no police Involvement Tyrone GAA? These clowns think they can Injure people without consequences. Assaults on the field especially serious ones need reported to the police, same as happen on a Saturday soccer match.
I'm not sure going to the police will do any good anyway.

I know of 2 people who went to the police about nasty incidents that happened on the field (1 football & 1 hurling). The cops basically told them that they had little interest as it was extremely unlikely to go anywhere. Neither did btw. There were literally no repercussions through the law. Just the measly ban from the GAA.
There can be a huge circling of wagons when the police get involved. Not that long ago a high enough profile player in an Antrim club received a nasty injury after getting a doing at his club training. He went the police route, court etc. Nothing. The wagons circled against him. One of the club's stars for about 20 years.

Not aware of that incident. What was the club involved?

the prodigy

Quote from: BIGONE on November 03, 2022, 08:31:58 AM
Prodigy sums Clonoe up.

Pack of snowflakes on here! Doesn't sound like too many of you have ever played the game, or are old enough to remember when football actually was rough! im not saying we should go back to those days at all, but lets not get carried away when a few punches are thrown. Its regrettable they ended up injured but these things happen. I couldn't see any police involvement in the matter.

Under Lights

Listen, you've had 22 posts, I think you should just leave it at that mate

breakingball78

Quote from: Under Lights on November 03, 2022, 04:46:03 PM
You once had 22 posts as well Under Lights. I am in no way taking this man's side but let him at least have his say on the matter like everyone else.

the prodigy

Quote from: Under Lights on November 03, 2022, 04:46:03 PM

I thought forums like these were for giving opinions? I understand you don't agree with mine but there is not a lot you can do about it.

Eire90

Rough football does not involved physically assaulting people with punches to head.

the prodigy

Quote from: Eire90 on November 03, 2022, 05:24:18 PM
Rough football does not involved physically assaulting people with punches to head.

It used to involve that quite a lot and also a lot more dangerous stuff as well. Most of all that is out of the game now.

Eire90

and for the better no room for thugs who are too scared to get into ring or cage but want to use gaa field to live out fantasies.

WT4E

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 03, 2022, 04:54:03 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on November 03, 2022, 03:54:37 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on November 03, 2022, 03:41:46 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 03, 2022, 12:48:23 AM
Why no police Involvement Tyrone GAA? These clowns think they can Injure people without consequences. Assaults on the field especially serious ones need reported to the police, same as happen on a Saturday soccer match.
I'm not sure going to the police will do any good anyway.

I know of 2 people who went to the police about nasty incidents that happened on the field (1 football & 1 hurling). The cops basically told them that they had little interest as it was extremely unlikely to go anywhere. Neither did btw. There were literally no repercussions through the law. Just the measly ban from the GAA.
There can be a huge circling of wagons when the police get involved. Not that long ago a high enough profile player in an Antrim club received a nasty injury after getting a doing at his club training. He went the police route, court etc. Nothing. The wagons circled against him. One of the club's stars for about 20 years.

Not aware of that incident. What was the club involved?
https://courtnewsni.co.uk/gaa-footballer-is-cleared-of-assault-charge-after-being-accused-of-punching-team-mate-on-the-head-at-training-session-in-county-antrim/

Thats mad!

the prodigy

Quote from: Eire90 on November 03, 2022, 05:41:19 PM
and for the better no room for thugs who are too scared to get into ring or cage but want to use gaa field to live out fantasies.

Thats a strange one now. I doubt too many are playing football to live out their mma fantasies! 😆 being a bit dramatic there!

general_lee

I know of a involving an east Tyrone club where a player was brought to court for "assaulting" a member of the opposition.
Said member of opposition had spent the duration of the game bullying a player much physically smaller than him, his teammate swapped positions for a few minutes and gave him a thump resulting in a broken jaw, PSNI called and court case ensued.