Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

do any of you think its a coincidence that the club teams have become more defensive since the county team started it?

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 27, 2017, 09:57:47 PM
watched omagh v clonoe in champ first round last year and was shocked by how negative and defensive both were. short kick outs and running game from both teams. 3 years previous both team played great attacking football and won county titles doing so. same players and management on both sides but style of play had changed fundamentally. and not for the better.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story, or twist it to suit your agenda, when we won the championship last we played with a permanent sweeper. In both games V Omagh there was a massive breeze blowing down Dungannon pitch, as is normal for a pitch on high ground, we pressed up the pitch when we had that breeze, in the first half of the game with the breeze we pressed high, we missed two goals to put the game out of sight, instead we went in 6 up I think,  the second Half we were  against a massive breeze and defended deeper, Omagh pressed with the breeze.

southtyronegael

what agenda? im only saying what i seen. omagh and clonoe drew in dunmoyle in champ 3 or 4 years ago and it was a brilliant high scoring game. last year was muck. finished 10 points each. not having a go at omagh or clonoe but something has changed in the last 3 or 4 years.

In hiding

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 27, 2017, 10:47:44 PM
do any of you think its a coincidence that the club teams have become more defensive since the county team started it?

Here's an interesting story.
Around about 2011/12 when jimmy was starting to win matches with his system,  tyrone decided to copy it a wee bit and ended up in an all ireland semi final in 2013.
Then in 2014 mickey seemed to decide that the blanket was the ruination of football and he went 15 v 15. It didn't work too well and we got beat by armagh in a qualifier in healy park in early June.  Meanwhile in the club scene omagh won a county title playing defensively and live on tg4 before the  Omagh crossmaglen  ulster club game, mickey criticised omaghs style of football saying than he feared for them unless they adopted a more expanaive style.
Fast forward now to January 2015, tyrone vs monaghan at healy park, first game of the nfl. Tyrone (still playing 15 v 15) were well beaten by monaghan (floodlights went out) and performed poorly being incredibly naive offering no protection at all for the full back line.
Mickey and horse (or one or other or both) obviously had a week of sleepless nights as 8 days after the monaghan game in castlebar tyrone produced the most defensive performance ever up to that point by playing 14 men behind the ball and leaving cathal mc shane up front on his own. Tyrone won and the rest as they say ....

is history

In hiding

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 27, 2017, 11:15:36 PM
what agenda? im only saying what i seen. omagh and clonoe drew in dunmoyle in champ 3 or 4 years ago and it was a brilliant high scoring game. last year was muck. finished 10 points each. not having a go at omagh or clonoe but something has changed in the last 3 or 4 years.

Funnily enough that game was in 2012, neither omagh or Clonoe won the championship that year, errigal did

southtyronegael

Where did I say omagh or clonoe won the champ in 2012?

In hiding

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 28, 2017, 12:05:34 AM
Where did I say omagh or clonoe won the champ in 2012?
I've no idea. Is that a trick question

seanmc123

Football has changed, football is not how it was years ago open and free flowing.

Get used to it

southtyronegael

Quote from: seanmc123 on April 28, 2017, 09:16:36 AM

Football has changed, football is not how it was years ago open and free flowing.

Get used to it
shut up mickey.

The Bearded One

SouthTyroneGael, as a matter of interest (not ridicule) do you coach any of your club teams? Do you try to influence the younger playing members of your club to play a more open and attacking style of football?
It is what it is. Presumably.

seanmc123

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 28, 2017, 12:57:43 PM
Quote from: seanmc123 on April 28, 2017, 09:16:36 AM

Get used to it
shut up mickey.

Suck my left one you dungbag

WT4E

Quote from: The Golden Years on April 27, 2017, 10:20:58 PM
Quote from: leenie on April 27, 2017, 09:27:19 PM
Div 1 a lot more defensive than div 2

Golden years what's your prediction for carmen the year ?

i honestly think if Brendan McLaughlin comes home when he says he is and mark Donnelly continues his good form then we will be there or there abouts. Seamus Seams to have the lads back enjoying their football and it's great to see some of last years minor team getting game time. My concerns would be our lack of ability to break a packed defense but hopefully this something they are working at in training and come the business end of the season with will have a solution.

This is by far my favourite post in a while - Carrickmore struggled to beat Greencastle in last years championship but all of a sudden they have turned into the equivalent to Dublin trying to master breaking down those defenses that have been keeping Carmen out hi!

Next thing you'll be telling me the Carrickmore A's v Carrickmore B's is the most competitive game in Tyrone!

The Golden Years

Quote from: WT4E on April 28, 2017, 03:26:44 PM

i honestly think if Brendan McLaughlin comes home when he says he is and mark Donnelly continues his good form then we will be there or there abouts. Seamus Seams to have the lads back enjoying their football and it's great to see some of last years minor team getting game time. My concerns would be our lack of ability to break a packed defense but hopefully this something they are working at in training and come the business end of the season with will have a solution.

This is by far my favourite post in a while - Carrickmore struggled to beat Greencastle in last years championship but all of a sudden they have turned into the equivalent to Dublin trying to master breaking down those defenses that have been keeping Carmen out hi!

Next thing you'll be telling me the Carrickmore A's v Carrickmore B's is the most competitive game in Tyrone!

Your point about struggling to beat greencastle has no relevance to this year imo.  Many a time I have seen carrickmore win championships after struggling to beat the so called lesser teams in the early rounds. 

My comment about devising a method to break the blanket defence was a bit tongue in cheek but  maybe humour is not is a bit beyond you.

WT4E

Quote from: The Golden Years on April 28, 2017, 04:57:07 PM
Quote from: WT4E on April 28, 2017, 03:26:44 PM

Your point about struggling to beat greencastle has no relevance to this year imo.  Many a time I have seen carrickmore win championships after struggling to beat the so called lesser teams in the early rounds. 

My comment about devising a method to break the blanket defence was a bit tongue in cheek but  maybe humour is not is a bit beyond you.

Hmmmmm Okay - I'll take it your just having a laugh then fair play!

skeog

Great honour for Mickey today been recognized for his contribution to society.Doctor Harte sounds good.