Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westender

agree i think owen roes and the tatts could have a good year if they start well, which is always important with young teams.
Also if stevie O'Neill is fit and available for the Clan they wont be far away!!  A lot of club's will fancy their chances - ie Dungannon where nothing special in Div 3 and look at them now!

TabClear

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 26, 2014, 12:09:13 PM
Quote from: westender on November 26, 2014, 10:14:20 AM
Drumragh used to have a decent team. Not that long ago they were top half div 2. What's happened SS?
Who'd be the early favourites for div 3 next year? Teams that come down seem to do well..

Teams change. Think it was 2005 when we were in the play-of positions for promotion to Div 1. We had a few gap years when the progress through from underage wasn't happening. But thankfully that seems to have been fixed as the bulk of our senior team would be made up of U21's at the minute.
Div 3 wise I would say that I'd think Owen Roes (Although a change of management mightn't help here), Tattyreagh (Depending on whether they can keep going for the whole year) would be two I fancy to be challenging. TBH I think the teams that went up this year are of a better standard than the teams coming down. Rock & Derrytresk are two Ivery strong teams.

I used to see youse play regularly SS. Drumragh had a handful of good players who all started around the same time in Quinn, Woods, Colton, taggart etc and they were the backbone of the team for a decade. It happens in every club, and youneed one or two players breaking in each year to give continuity as the old players drop off. If this doesn't happen the club's tend to have a big bang where there is massive changes in a short period and that's usually tough, no matter how good the youngsters.

As you say, a decent u21 team should hopefully get you back on track on the pitch as the work drumragh has done in terms of the facilities they have developed etc is a credit to them.

supersarsfields

Yeah unfortunately a lot of those players are either in retirement or on the verge of it. We were lucky we got a good crop of players around 99-07 (I was lucky enough to be playing at this stage as well), but as you say there wasn't enough underage players feeding in each year to supplement the older players dropping of. But we seem to have that sorted now I hope. At this level you really need at least 2/3 players coming through to the seniors each year from the U21's.
Facility wise we are really happy with the development down in Clanabogan. It's coming along nicely, finally a bit of tar down now as well for the car park which makes a big difference. Just a matter of sorting the on pitch side of things now.  :)

Which club were you Tab?

WeeDonns

Be more specific with the names there TabClear, ss may be thinking you're talking about him ;)

Interesting first post there @Welly Man

I'd like to think the attitude will change as needed. We've seen before in 2003-04 what a change of attitude can do, from finishing 2nd bottom to winning the league unbeaten with the same bunch of players

I heard SS was going for the Reserve Management job, any truth?

supersarsfields

Course it was me he was talking about.  :D

I'll pass on the management this year I think. Might try and kick a bit instead!!

Welly Man

I said drumragh as a club, not neccessarily the players. The committee are more than happy to have nice facilities, big draws, etc... If half the effort was put into the senior team results would be more favourable. The mens senior football team is the benchmark for any club. A successful senior team tends to drag everyone else along. As for the players themselves, i think they have probably detected the apathy towards them and as a result their commitment has faltered. Drumragh are probably five years off mounting any sort of serious league or cship assault. And that is with a serious amount of hard work by lots of different people. Otherwise the good bunch they have coming through will fade to nothing. If ss thinks they can turn things around in a few months of close season then he knows much less about football than i give him credit for. Anyway. Drumragh are a pretty small fish in the grand scheme of things and are probably gettin too much airtime here. Any thoughts on the parish's main club chances on sunday? S'neill will be their toughest game to date id say. Just hope the townies have the stomach for it....

westender

Will the Omagh luck run out on sunday? Think they will win by a few points. Everything seems to be falling into place for them this year and wouldn't be surprised to see another last minute goal. Hard to believe young Clarke is back training!!

supersarsfields

Quote from: Welly Man on November 28, 2014, 05:44:21 PM
I said drumragh as a club, not neccessarily the players. The committee are more than happy to have nice facilities, big draws, etc... If half the effort was put into the senior team results would be more favourable. The mens senior football team is the benchmark for any club. A successful senior team tends to drag everyone else along. As for the players themselves, i think they have probably detected the apathy towards them and as a result their commitment has faltered. Drumragh are probably five years off mounting any sort of serious league or cship assault. And that is with a serious amount of hard work by lots of different people. Otherwise the good bunch they have coming through will fade to nothing. If ss thinks they can turn things around in a few months of close season then he knows much less about football than i give him credit for. Anyway. Drumragh are a pretty small fish in the grand scheme of things and are probably gettin too much airtime here. Any thoughts on the parish's main club chances on sunday? S'neill will be their toughest game to date id say. Just hope the townies have the stomach for it....

I don't intend getting into a detailed discussion on here about the club. As Weedonns mentioned Drumragh finished at 2nd from bottom in 2003 and then won the league the following year. I'll leave it at that.

tiempo

Quote from: westender on November 28, 2014, 09:26:15 PM
Will the Omagh luck run out on sunday? Think they will win by a few points. Everything seems to be falling into place for them this year and wouldn't be surprised to see another last minute goal. Hard to believe young Clarke is back training!!

All those lucky All-Ireland winners at minor and senior for Tyrone, club Ulster minor and U21 winners, all-ireland winners at scor, all-ireland finalists in ladies football in consecutive seasons. A club that while playing in an Ulster club semi-final hosted the second semi-final at the same time. Forget high achievers with a great amount of hard work and dedication (not unlike countless other clubs), lucky sums it up far better.

westender

wow that's some list of achievement's for Omagh. They are an amazing club.
Still, it has taken a few lucky breaks to get them to where they are!! Goodluck to them and their band of loyal supporters in the final  ;D

Mr. Nakata

Good luck to Niamh Eanna tomorrow. Bring home the cup.

Wee Roddy

Fair play to the lads at Teamtalk but that team doesn't seem right. Neither Gormley, Penrose, Big Joey or Mattie Donnelly played in those position at all this year. From a Carrickmore perspective Benny McLaughlin was our best player by a mile and I would have thought some of the Omagh lads, perhaps Tierney, should have got club player of the year. Still it's a great idea and everyone can't be happy I suppose

Aaron Boone

Good luck Omagh today.
Winners will play the Munster champs on Valentines Day.

ose 14

firstly congratulations to rock hopefully we can follow your lead and show how competitive club football in tyrone is. this is an unbelieveable day for our club no matter the result im in dreamland as an omagh supporter loading the car with the oul hang sandwiches to watch omagh in an ulster senior club final. proud no matter the outcome best of luck to larry barry and the boys you have made everyone connected with ose proud and come 5pm today that will be still the same no matter the outcome. thanks to all our neighbours from around the county and beyond with their kind wishes too. omagh and tyrone abu.

Carmen Stateside

Good luck to the Omagh town boys today.  Looking forward to it, be great to see them take Ulster.