Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR99

Quote from: Zapatista on October 19, 2009, 08:34:27 PM
A fantastic final yesterday. Both teams were brilliant. I had accepted defeat with 10 to go but thankfully the Dromore players never did. It was a rollercoaster of highs and lows which I don't think I'll ever be able to explain properly. I think Dromore fitness really showed in the last 5 or 6 minutes. This Dromore team are a product of about 5 years work which stood to them at the end yesterday. I think Ardboe are at the early stages of a long term plan and games like yesterday will help them along that track. Over the last 3 finals I was sure Coalisland and Clonoe wouldn't be contending again in the near future but I think Ardboe certainly will.

Have to agree with you there Zap, brilliant final, best ever, extremely high standard and what balls your boys showed yesterday.  For McCullagh to take that abuse before the kick and still beat a keeper who was 5 yards off his line and with the pressure he was under was incredible.  You must be really proud of the boys in blue.  Ardboe fans must be sick but they can hold their head high as their team was a real credit to surivive that first half blitz and come back like they did was amazing.  I think more than you had given up as I seen some high profile Dromore suporters making their exit with 7 or 8 minutes to go, either that or they had trouble getting back out of the toilet!  As a Westie i was delighted for Dromore and look forward to following them in Ulster, lets hope all of Tyrone can get behind them now, except for your red neighbours of course.  I heard that the champagne was already popped in Packies but there was a big search on for the Cork after Collie buried it in the back of the net.

Zapatista

Quote from: MR99 on October 20, 2009, 11:46:46 AM
Have to agree with you there Zap, brilliant final, best ever, extremely high standard and what balls your boys showed yesterday.  For McCullagh to take that abuse before the kick and still beat a keeper who was 5 yards off his line and with the pressure he was under was incredible.  You must be really proud of the boys in blue.

Proud of McCullagh in particular. His story is some story. He was always overlooked as a young player. While he was always Dromores greatest prospect he never made a good brealthrough which led him to the soccer. It was a big decision to give up the soccer and concentrate on the football. He has been playing senior football with Dromore for about 14 years.The coolness of the penalty summed up his personality. 

WeeDonns

QuoteSurely Ballygawley's 2 titles should be added to the Errigal Ciaran's total in the Roll of Honour? And Strabane and Fintona should also be joint 11th on the Roll of Honour in spite of the differing club names in the early part of the 20th century?

and surely Dungannon weren't called 'Dungannon Thomas Clarkes' in 1908-09 ???

supersarsfields

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 19, 2009, 11:27:14 PM
Thanks for that clarification T86, so it's only taken Dromore 64 years to equal our record of two Championships!  :D

Congrats to Dromore after that clinker yesterday, and commiserations to Ardboe, and as Zap (graciously) said you're at the beginning of something potentially great here, not the end.

I could be wrong here but I reckon Strabane have only one it once. Ditto Fintona.

Zapatista

I think they're only credited for one each on that list. The championships must have spanned two years.

We still don't have any all ireland hurling medals in Dromore Fear. Maybe we should look into that ;)

tyrone86

Quote from: supersarsfields on October 20, 2009, 05:04:09 PM
Thanks for that clarification T86, so it's only taken Dromore 64 years to equal our record of two Championships!  :D

Congrats to Dromore after that clinker yesterday, and commiserations to Ardboe, and as Zap (graciously) said you're at the beginning of something potentially great here, not the end.

I could be wrong here but I reckon Strabane have only one it once. Ditto Fintona.

Strabane Lamh Dhearg 1 1945
Fintona Pearses 1 1938
Fintona Davitts 1 1913-14
Strabane Fag-a-Bealach 1 1905-6

orangeman

Quote from: tyrone86 on October 20, 2009, 06:01:14 PM
Quote from: supersarsfields on October 20, 2009, 05:04:09 PM

Strabane Lamh Dhearg 1 1945
Fintona Pearses 1 1938
Fintona Davitts 1 1913-14
Strabane Fag-a-Bealach 1 1905-6

Where did that name originate from - Castleblayney are the Faughs but I think it was Fag an Bealach as wel ??????

Fear ón Srath Bán

True om, Strabane Fág a Bealach (Clear the Road) would have been known as the Strabane 'Faughs' that the time too, in the same way that Castleblayney are really Fág an Bealach.

And when Strabane Fág a Bealach won the 1905/1906 Championship by beating Donaghmore in the final, they actually beat Strabane Lámh Dhearg en route.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ceol agus peil

Quote from: Zapatista on October 20, 2009, 05:44:21 PM
I think they're only credited for one each on that list. The championships must have spanned two years.

We still don't have any all ireland hurling medals in Dromore Fear. Maybe we should look into that ;)

Dromore actually do have an 1 all-ireland hurling medal from the Tyrone u-16 all ireland 'C' championship win this year.
Sent from my iphone

oakleafgael

Now that the dust has settled on a great championship final does who do the great and the good of the gaaboard thing will be in MH's plans for next year?

Having seen a lot of club football in Tyrone this year I wouldnt be rushing any of the most recent minor team into the senior panel just yet. Coney hasnt played much football this year and has a bit more to do before he is ready imo. He looked a little light in the first half on Sunday and was well marshalled, although he showed some great skill in the second half with a great range of passing. Where would his best position be, on the half forward line? O'Neil looks like the perfect wing half back for the Tyrone system, a good footballer with plenty of pace. I think he could force Harte out.

Rocky Mc Guigan

Quote from: oakleafgael on October 20, 2009, 07:36:20 PM
Now that the dust has settled on a great championship final does who do the great and the good of the gaaboard thing will be in MH's plans for next year?

Having seen a lot of club football in Tyrone this year I wouldnt be rushing any of the most recent minor team into the senior panel just yet. Coney hasnt played much football this year and has a bit more to do before he is ready imo. He looked a little light in the first half on Sunday and was well marshalled, although he showed some great skill in the second half with a great range of passing. Where would his best position be, on the half forward line? O'Neil looks like the perfect wing half back for the Tyrone system, a good footballer with plenty of pace. I think he could force Harte out.
Do you not mean force Jordan out? Of last year's minors Mc Nabb a certainty to come into panel. Class player

up tyrone

Quote from: Rocky Mc Guigan on October 20, 2009, 10:23:26 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on October 20, 2009, 07:36:20 PM

Do you not mean force Jordan out? Of last year's minors Mc Nabb a certainty to come into panel. Class player
Think ur writing Jordan of  a bit early.Sean as good as he is going forward we dont know that much  of him defensively,i remember people blowing Decky mccrossan up how good he was he was found out as well.Harte will start whoever he thinks best and not solely on reputation.

under the bar

QuoteO'Neil looks like the perfect wing half back for the Tyrone system, a good footballer with plenty of pace. I think he could force Harte out.

I could see Sean O'Neill switching to half forward for Tyrone

caraghtyrone

True or something I have said for a while is I'd like to see Davy Harte tried in the Mc Kenna cup or league at nos 10 and play the Dooher role winning breaking ball and generally industrious covering every corner of the pitch also has proved he has an eye for goal.  I feel this is a better option than Sean O Neill in the half forwards, if Harte goes to Nos 10 Sean O Neill can slot in at nos 5 and I reckon it could set us up very well on the Right hand side and also Dooher to come in for 20-30 mins!

mick the master

Quote from: caraghtyrone on October 21, 2009, 01:35:36 AM
True or something I have said for a while is I'd like to see Davy Harte tried in the Mc Kenna cup or league at nos 10 and play the Dooher role winning breaking ball and generally industrious covering every corner of the pitch also has proved he has an eye for goal.  I feel this is a better option than Sean O Neill in the half forwards, if Harte goes to Nos 10 Sean O Neill can slot in at nos 5 and I reckon it could set us up very well on the Right hand side and also Dooher to come in for 20-30 mins!
All this raving about sean o neill i thought he had a bad county final dont get me wrong he is a good player but in the 1st half he kicked 3or 4wides in which he could have used the players around him and in the second he was no where to be seen apart from the set up for the penalty.i just dont think he is a that grade of starting for the county just yet anyway and another thing he and some of his fellow dromore players would need to stop gloating into the other players faces,it dosent set a good example for youth who looks up to these players.