The Official Derry City FC thread

Started by TacadoirArdMhacha, April 19, 2009, 11:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 08, 2009, 10:58:41 PM
Quote from: nifan on November 08, 2009, 10:21:25 PM
lrtf, i dont know what business you are in but if you where in a position where you did some work for a gaa company, and they refused to pay you, would you leave it be even if it meant you and your family losing your house.
Id have an affection for Derry City, and have many mates devestated by the news (maribor kev who used to post on here is probably the biggest DC fan there is!) so i take no pleasure in this, but Dungannon where an injured party, not the baddies in this.

WTF?!!!  ??? what family was going to lose their home?

If your a player with a mortgage who isn't getting his wages paid you could be in danger of losing your home. Of course the complicating factor is that it now seems that the players were complicit in signing dishonest contracts.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Main Street

Quote from: MW on November 08, 2009, 10:27:09 PM
Very sad for Derry City fans, and for their sake I hope they don't lose their team.

Likely, unless they stay and play for free.

QuoteDerry's board seem to have behaved poorly from what detail I know of all this - though they're now threatening legal action against the FAI and claiming they've been hard done by.

http://www.derrycityfc.net/cityweb/
Taking issue with the due procedure of the FAI show trial and the withholding of the prize money for finishing 4th.

nifan

In this case Dungannon players could very easily lose money.

And my point was more general - if you where a tradesman and did a significant amount of work for a gaa club, and they owed you a lot of money, would you let them away with it because they are a gaa club? Even if you couldnt pay your emplyees or your own mortgage?

Leo

This issue is wider than just Derry City its the whole shambles of the League of Ireland.

Since the demise of Drumcondra in the 80's there has been a succession of clubs folding, goin g into administration, reforming, etc.
It all boils down to the failure to understand that the population of this country cannot support professional sport on the one hand and the poor calibre of people some of these clubs attract on the other.

Also gone by the board are Cork Hibernians, Cork Celtic, Limerick Utd (and various reiincartnations) and Dublin City.

"Prestige" clubs like Shelbourne , Drogheda Utd. and Cork Utd have been relegated  for irregularities or gone through legal examinership in order to survive.

Kildare County is on the brink, Finn Harps are broke, Cork are in trouble again - look out for a collapse coming soon at Bohemians - if the whole picture is not a fiasco, someone tell me what is.
The Irish Sports Council should be making an inquiry into this whole set up.
Fierce tame altogether

longrunsthefox

Quote from: nifan on November 09, 2009, 08:31:19 AM

In this case Dungannon players could very easily lose money.

And my point was more general - if you where a tradesman and did a significant amount of work for a gaa club, and they owed you a lot of money, would you let them away with it because they are a gaa club? Even if you couldnt pay your emplyees or your own mortgage?

Fair enuff.. can't really get my head around the whole idea of playing for the Swifts being a job!

Main Street

It makes you wonder just how deep in the mire is the mindset of the Derry fc board.

After Derry fc threw a few shapes of resistance on Saturday pleading persecution beyond belief, Delaney lines up his artillery and fires a couple of rounds to quell the dissenters.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1109/derrycity_delaneyj.html

'FAI Chief Executive John Delaney has alleged that Derry City Football Club has withheld details of payments to players over a period of years.

Financial statements shown to RTÉ indicate that over 20 Derry City players held dual contracts.

Delaney called for a clear-out of the current Derry City board and announced that players had until next Thursday to give full financial information about their pay to the FAI or the Player's Union.
Should they fail to do this, Delaney says that they will not be registered to play with any club here or abroad next season.'

orangeman

The more I see and read about this, Derry city directors have a lot to answer for - it seems to me that they are going to insist that the standard contract was the only one they operated and that these other payments were deals that the players had with others and not part of their contract of employment - it would all have been so different if the players had been getting a brown envelope - that way, it would have been harder to prove.
It will be interesting to see how the players respond this moring to Delayney's ultimatum.

Survival instinct will no doubt kick in !

tyroneman

Was there any fallout over cancelling the celtic game? Is compensation due to celtic?

ludermor

Quote from: orangeman on November 10, 2009, 09:17:23 AM
The more I see and read about this, Derry city directors have a lot to answer for - it seems to me that they are going to insist that the standard contract was the only one they operated and that these other payments were deals that the players had with others and not part of their contract of employment - it would all have been so different if the players had been getting a brown envelope - that way, it would have been harder to prove.
It will be interesting to see how the players respond this moring to Delayney's ultimatum.

Survival instinct will no doubt kick in !
I think this has the potential to bring down th ewhole league, if what Delaney is saying is correct ( and he would be very stupid to say it if he didnt have solid proof) then the directors should be jailed. If it is widespread at Derry it would make you suspisious of other clubs doing the same fiddling. It also makes a shambles of th enew licencing arrangment brought in by the FAI over the last few years when clubs could hide something so basic and it wasnt found out. Who is going to believe that a player for one of the tops clubs was earning 50/week!!!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: tyroneman on November 10, 2009, 09:59:51 AM
Was there any fallout over cancelling the celtic game? Is compensation due to celtic?

Well Derry would be claiming I'm sure that compensation would be due to them since, in their eyes, the strength of side proposed to be brought over by Celtic wasn't what was agreed. Can't see anything coming of it but there was talk that Cliftonville were looking Derry to pay for part of Celtic's accomodation costs.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

dublinfella

Quote from: Leo on November 09, 2009, 05:36:55 PM
This issue is wider than just Derry City its the whole shambles of the League of Ireland.

Since the demise of Drumcondra in the 80's there has been a succession of clubs folding, goin g into administration, reforming, etc.
It all boils down to the failure to understand that the population of this country cannot support professional sport on the one hand and the poor calibre of people some of these clubs attract on the other.

Also gone by the board are Cork Hibernians, Cork Celtic, Limerick Utd (and various reiincartnations) and Dublin City.

"Prestige" clubs like Shelbourne , Drogheda Utd. and Cork Utd have been relegated  for irregularities or gone through legal examinership in order to survive.

Kildare County is on the brink, Finn Harps are broke, Cork are in trouble again - look out for a collapse coming soon at Bohemians - if the whole picture is not a fiasco, someone tell me what is.

I can't agree with that.

Drogheda and Cork were never relegated - you are factually incorrect. Clubs fold all over the world all the time, thats the sad nature of the beast. Sure they haven't even started the Argentinian league, Portsmouth in the worlds wealthiest league are in imminent danger and West Ham are £1bn in debt. What are you benchmarking Irish football against?

The as a league  LoI is quite well run, thats why you are seeing the sanctions. Clubs cannot get away with what they did before and some are slow learners. What Derry were up to is the most naked cheating I have ever seen in any sport and the second the FAI got wind of it, they hammered them.

Its a huge pity and I hope the DCFC board back off with the threats so they can stay in the LoI at some level, either in the second or third tier, but this sort of fraud cannot be tolerated.

Norf Tyrone

West Ham are £1 billion in debt! Are you sure? Is that 'factually correct'??
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

mountainboii

Quote from: dublinfella on November 10, 2009, 12:07:39 PM

I can't agree with that.

Drogheda and Cork were never relegated - you are factually incorrect. Clubs fold all over the world all the time, thats the sad nature of the beast. Sure they haven't even started the Argentinian league, Portsmouth in the worlds wealthiest league are in imminent danger and West Ham are £1bn in debt. What are you benchmarking Irish football against?

The as a league  LoI is quite well run, thats why you are seeing the sanctions. Clubs cannot get away with what they did before and some are slow learners. What Derry were up to is the most naked cheating I have ever seen in any sport and the second the FAI got wind of it, they hammered them.

Its a huge pity and I hope the DCFC board back off with the threats so they can stay in the LoI at some level, either in the second or third tier, but this sort of fraud cannot be tolerated.

Any chance of some sanctions for the match fixing at the weekend?

Hardy

The as a league  LoI is quite well run, thats why you are seeing the sanctions. Clubs cannot get away with what they did before and some are slow learners.

Does anyone remember Comical Ali?

saffron sam2

I can't agree with that.

I would suggest that the emboldened bit is somewhat exagerrated. Either that or you haven't watched much sport.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet