The Official Derry City FC thread

Started by TacadoirArdMhacha, April 19, 2009, 11:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 06, 2009, 04:04:43 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 06, 2009, 03:57:03 PM
Sad alright but a damning indictment on the way the club was run in recent times, even with the McGinn and McCourt money they are going bust.  As a club they have been bailed out too many times, relying on John Hume to get teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid over to play.

Well its only happened once before but I suppose two times is two too many. Another harsh lesson for an irish soccer team - you simply have to live within your means.

Is this not the third? They went bust once, and only Hume's intervention stopped the 2nd one.
As Doogie said the money from the two Celtic lads should've kept the club going for years. The £300K plus that was raised here is major money.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 06, 2009, 06:40:31 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 06, 2009, 04:04:43 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on November 06, 2009, 03:57:03 PM
Sad alright but a damning indictment on the way the club was run in recent times, even with the McGinn and McCourt money they are going bust.  As a club they have been bailed out too many times, relying on John Hume to get teams like Barcelona and Real Madrid over to play.

Well its only happened once before but I suppose two times is two too many. Another harsh lesson for an irish soccer team - you simply have to live within your means.

Is this not the third? They went bust once, and only Hume's intervention stopped the 2nd one.
As Doogie said the money from the two Celtic lads should've kept the club going for years. The £300K plus that was raised here is major money.

Would you be surpised to know that some of the supporters I was talking to tonight are of the opinion that Derry's wage bill is over a million euro?

Quite a good performance tonight, irrelevant though it was. Superb Dundalk goal but Derry had the best of it afterwards. Could be a long time before Derry are back in the Premier League.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

magickingdom

it would be an awful tragedy if Derry go, their the only reason i even check loi scores

Main Street

I wonder will it be proven that they cheated their way into receiving a license to compete in the league, finishing in a false 4th position due to the squad assembled on good contracts and expensive match preparations etc.
If it is found after investigation into that murky mess that they did indeed cook the books,
it would be fair enough to expunge all results but probably too awkward to implement.
Prize money for their finishing position should be withheld and disbursed to the clubs who operated within the financial structure.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Derry's contract with the FAI has been terminated due to "under the table" payments to players.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1107/derrycity.html

QuoteDerry thrown out of League of Ireland
Saturday, 7 November 2009 18:52

Derry City's League of Ireland contract has been terminated after the club admitted holding secondary, unofficial contracts with players.

The move sees the club removed from this year's Premier Division and they must now reapply to become part of the league.

An FAI delegation will meet with Derry this week and the various other stakeholders to consider how the Candystripes may participate in senior football in the league, at some level other than in the Premier Division.

It means that Galway United are now safe from relegation, with bottom club Bray Wanderers now facing Drogheda United in the play-offs, starting on Tuesday.

Derry's Setanta Cup match this week has been postponed, pending discussions with the Irish Football Association, through the Setanta Sports Cup Committee.

The Derry board finally came clean with the league's governing body on Thursday when it arranged a meeting with the FAI and admitted that unofficial deals were reached with staff that saw them earn extra funds.

This helped the club find a way around the rule that all clubs under licensing regulation must not spend more than 65percent of their income on wages.

It is the latest blow to the league which has been dogged with financial trouble for the last few years.

Cork City narrowly survived going out of existance earlier this season, and may not get permission to compete in the top division next year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mc_grens

My ould man grew up in the Bogside, and was a Derry City season ticket holder until the day he died, even managing to get in to the matches near the end when he was very ill.

He'll be spinning in his grave. This is a very, very sad day.

longrunsthefox

That is bad news. That bollox Jarlath Faloon chairman of Dungannon Swifts will be celebrating tonight after asking they be wound up earlier this week. hope the Swifts go tits-up too

orangeman

Quote from: mc_grens on November 07, 2009, 07:16:58 PM
My ould man grew up in the Bogside, and was a Derry City season ticket holder until the day he died, even managing to get in to the matches near the end when he was very ill.

He'll be spinning in his grave. This is a very, very sad day.
[/b]

Unbelievable news - but they'll be back - no doubt about it.

slow corner back

Club soccer in Ireland North and South is a complete shambles, just about every successful team in the LOI has been living above thier means and got into trouble. The Irish League is not much better, only Linfields IFA grant keeps them afloat and Glentoran sold their ground years ago but still have not moved out! Coleraine went bust and came back under a different name in the same division!!
If Derry were avoiding the rules by using under the table brown envelopes they deserve what they get. By the way why did they not let Kevin Deery join Hamilton in August and get him off the wage bill?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 07, 2009, 08:20:54 PM
That is bad news. That bollox Jarlath Faloon chairman of Dungannon Swifts will be celebrating tonight after asking they be wound up earlier this week. hope the Swifts go tits-up too

Sure he didn't make the under the table payments?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

orangeman

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 07, 2009, 09:24:02 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 07, 2009, 08:20:54 PM

Sure he didn't make the under the table payments?
[/b]

How so ?

longrunsthefox

He called for them to be wound up... vindictive and knew what he was about being a solicitor. am just saying he'll be celebrating tonite.. bollox that he is.

Cúig huaire

Sad day for football, hope they can sort things out.
Professional football in this country is not really viable.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 07, 2009, 09:34:08 PM
He called for them to be wound up... vindictive and knew what he was about being a solicitor. am just saying he'll be celebrating tonite.. bollox that he is.

How will this help Dungannon's cause now ?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2009, 09:36:09 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 07, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

How will this help Dungannon's cause now ?

Ask Jarlath Faloon, Dungannon Swifts chairman -he wanted Derry wound up.

Dungannon Swifts in plan to wind up Derry City FC The Dungannon Swifts Board has decided to commence winding-up proceedings against cash-strapped Derry City.
Derry owe the Swifts £30,000 from the selling on clause of Niall McGinn to Celtic and a missed payment deadline has prompted Dungannon to take action.
City's Board held talks with community representatives, business leaders and politicians on Monday night to discuss the extent of the financial problems.
Derry players and backroom staff are owed several weeks' wages by the club.
Swifts took legal action and agreed an out of court settlement with the Brandywell club in October over the money owed from a sell-on clause resulting from McGinn's transfer to Celtic.
The parties reached an agreement but the exact amount Dungannon was to receive was not revealed.
McGinn moved from Dungannon to Derry in January 2008 and then signed for Celtic in December 2008.
In a statement Derry City said the club was "aware of its obligations and is working towards meeting them".
Swifts chairman Jarlath Faloon said that Dungannon had "absolutely no second thoughts" at pursuing liquidation."The board of Dungannon Swifts is absolutely infuriated with the treatment we have received from the Derry City board," he said