Create a 'Soccer Discussion' section!

Started by Tankie, April 19, 2009, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on April 20, 2009, 08:42:27 AM
Quote from: Chrisowc on April 19, 2009, 11:03:38 PM
Gnevin I would say opposed is too strong a word but it amuses me that with football being the one game where players use their feet, that it somehow finds itself being called soccer.  Strange.

May be if you said that "football" is the one game that players only use their feet you'd be closer to the truth (leaving the keepers out....).  However I think that rugby, gaelic, australian and even American footballers do actually use their feet on occasion.

I notice that similar to Ireland countries like the US and Australia that have other popular codes regularly use the term soccer.  Indeed the Australian had a "soccer associations" and their international team was called the "socceroos" until order to change it by FIFA.  Maybe it's a convenience thing???????????

It's certainly seems to be an "OWC" habit to bristle every time soccer is mentioned (and indeed prompts the question "What's soccer").  I suspect that this comes from a reluctance to accept Gaelic football as a valid sport because it is run by the GAA.

/Jim.
I never call it soccer and it seems foreign when I hear people say it.  Don't bristle at it mind, it's just no one in the UK that I know ever calls football that. As a member of a rugby club that was officially called a football club I would often refer to rugby as football too which means I often have to change my terminology so as not to confuse others.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on April 20, 2009, 08:42:27 AM
Quote from: Chrisowc on April 19, 2009, 11:03:38 PM
Gnevin I would say opposed is too strong a word but it amuses me that with football being the one game where players use their feet, that it somehow finds itself being called soccer.  Strange.

May be if you said that "football" is the one game that players only use their feet you'd be closer to the truth (leaving the keepers out....).  However I think that rugby, gaelic, australian and even American footballers do actually use their feet on occasion.

I notice that similar to Ireland countries like the US and Australia that have other popular codes regularly use the term soccer.  Indeed the Australian had a "soccer associations" and their international team was called the "socceroos" until order to change it by FIFA.  Maybe it's a convenience thing???????????

It's certainly seems to be an "OWC" habit to bristle every time soccer is mentioned (and indeed prompts the question "What's soccer").  I suspect that this comes from a reluctance to accept Gaelic football as a valid sport because it is run by the GAA.

/Jim.

In Australia they can't decide what is or isn't 'footy'.  Depending in what state you are in it could be Rugby League or Aussie Rules.

I'm certainly not bristling at the mention of soccer.  My original question was made in jest.  
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

ludermor

At least with the soccer threads you know what you are getting into when you open it but i wish there was a warning in each thread that Tankie has contributed to.

ziggysego

Quote from: Chrisowc on April 19, 2009, 08:09:39 PM
What is this soccer?

Chris is right, we should call it by it's proper name

Association Football ;)
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on April 20, 2009, 12:20:21 AM
The board is quiet enough for decent topics these days without cordoning off the soccer threads into their own little section. Leave them where they are. There is only a few of them anyway.

Agreed, their are really only 4 main soccer threads that regularly surface, Celtic, Man U, Liverpool and FAI/Ireland thread, as has been said already by another poster, the reason for the large number of threads atm is primarially (sp) the time of year. So bad idea, having visited OWC and seen the way a board cvan end up being segmented to death, it's just confusing and not worth it.
Tbc....

whiskeysteve

Terrible idea. This is a GAA discussion site and whilst other things should have their place in the general section no other sport should have its own section.

Besides who the f**k wants a load of inane soccer chat on here. There are thousands of soccer forums out there. If you are so desperate for a 'soccer only' corner of the net then jog on there
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Mario

If there was a soccer section, i am convinced it would get more views/replies than the hurling section.

whiskeysteve

probably because there are more teams/matches/hyped up things to crow about. But anyway which would get more posts is irrelevant
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

bcarrier

Please mod No.

Other sports would just about be acceptable.

Orior

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 20, 2009, 11:06:11 AM
The board is quiet enough for decent topics these days without cordoning off the soccer threads into their own little section. Leave them where they are. There is only a few of them anyway.

Agreed, their are really only 4 main soccer threads that regularly surface, Celtic, Man U, Liverpool and FAI/Ireland thread, as has been said already by another poster, the reason for the large number of threads atm is primarially (sp) the time of year. So bad idea, having visited OWC and seen the way a board cvan end up being segmented to death, it's just confusing and not worth it.

Oh jeez no. Are you okay? Did they try to knock your windows in? Did you wash afterwards?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Orior on April 20, 2009, 12:03:32 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 20, 2009, 11:06:11 AM

Oh jeez no. Are you okay? Did they try to knock your windows in? Did you wash afterwards?

All very cloakn'dagger Orior, sneak in under an appropriate moniker eg: TrueBlueBilly1690, post a few innocent comments and settle in for the long haul.
Tbc....

Main Street

Quote from: Roger on April 20, 2009, 09:30:34 AM
I never call it soccer and it seems foreign when I hear people say it.  Don't bristle at it mind, it's just no one in the UK that I know ever calls football that.
In Ireland we use gaelic and soccer.
Mostly people use the word gaelic and soccer, what's the big deal? Ever since I can remember it was soccer and gaelic.
Soccer is a vaild acceptable term in Ireland. Nevertheless the common use of word soccer, say in the USA, appears to attract a degree of condescension and snobbery from those in the BBC, those who can't get their heads around that over the world there are plenty of other popular games played with a ball which also use the term football.

FWIW doing an Evil Genius 'google search test'  using the search term "soccer uk"  brings up 14.4m hits.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Main Street on April 20, 2009, 01:50:59 PM
I never call it soccer and it seems foreign when I hear people say it.  Don't bristle at it mind, it's just no one in the UK that I know ever calls football that.
Mostly people use the word gaelic and soccer, what's the big deal? Ever since I can remember it was soccer and gaelic.
Soccer is a vaild acceptable term in Ireland. Nevertheless the common use of word soccer, say in the USA, appears to attract a degree of condescension and snobbery from those in the BBC, those who can't get their heads around that over the world there are plenty of other popular games played with a ball which also use the term football.

FWIW doing an Evil Genius 'google search test'  using the search term "soccer uk"  brings up 14.4m hits.

Aye but search "soccer ni" and you don't get any hits!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

nifan

:D

breaking out the pseudo science

soccer Ireland brings up 11.3m.
Adjusting for population, the term soccer is approx 8 times more popular in ireland than the uk   :P

QED

Roger

Agree with valid and acceptable.  I can't see why it would be unacceptable.   In the GB and NI football means association football.  I don't think snobbery and condescension comes into it as I imagine in places where other ball sports are termed football there is a terminology requirement to differentiate.  In GB & to a lesser extent NI there is no need really and that is why it sounds a bit strange to hear the term soccer. When someone says soccer, I know exactly what they mean so it's not something to "bristle" at.