Create a 'Soccer Discussion' section!

Started by Tankie, April 19, 2009, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisowc

Quote from: fred the red on April 19, 2009, 11:05:57 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on April 19, 2009, 11:03:38 PM
Gnevin I would say opposed is too strong a word but it amuses me that with football being the one game where players use their feet, that it somehow finds itself being called soccer.  Strange.

Fred, relax man.

That line might have worked for you last night, but it won't work tonight.

It took a minute.  Very good :D
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Gnevin

Gnevin I would say opposed is too strong a word but it amuses me that with football being the one game where players use their feet, that it somehow finds itself being called soccer.  Strange.

Fred, relax man.
I assume you mean the one game where most of the players don't use their hands as all codes of "football" have some sort of kicking . It always amuses me when Soccer lads feel they have ownership of the word football. A lot of these codes developed at the same time and shared rules. Football was as natural a name for a game which had the mark but no hacking later to become soccer as the game had the mark and hacking later to become Rugby
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Gnevin on April 19, 2009, 11:09:34 PM

Fred, relax man.
I assume you mean the one game where most of the players don't use their hands as all codes of "football" have some sort of kicking . It always amuses me when Soccer lads feel they have own the word football. a lot of these codes developed at the same time and share rules. Football was as natural a name for a game which had the mark but no hacking later to become soccer as the game had the mark and hacking late to become Rugby

It is a world game.  The word football is not owned.  Just logical.

Fußball
Fútbol
Futebol
Футбол
足球
フットボール

Oh, and soccer in Spanish?  
fútbol

Gnevin

Quote from: Chrisowc on April 19, 2009, 11:20:37 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on April 19, 2009, 11:09:34 PM

Fred, relax man.
I assume you mean the one game where most of the players don't use their hands as all codes of "football" have some sort of kicking . It always amuses me when Soccer lads feel they have own the word football. a lot of these codes developed at the same time and share rules. Football was as natural a name for a game which had the mark but no hacking later to become soccer as the game had the mark and hacking late to become Rugby

It is a world game.  The word football is not owned.  Just logical.

f*ßball
Fútbol
Futebol
Футбол
足球
フットボール

Oh, and soccer in Spanish?  
fútbol
How is it any more logical than Football for Rugby or American or Gaelic.
Rugby is a world game too ,maybe not a widespread as soccer but still a world game.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Chrisowc

err? because they run with the ball in their hands?

It's not complicated.

Gnevin

Quote from: Chrisowc on April 19, 2009, 11:28:47 PM
err? because they run with the ball in their hands?

It's not complicated.
Originally the soccer lads did too or at least caught the ball

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Rules . These rules are similar to the rules of Union than the rules we know for soccer today.

Chrisowc

Gnevin

Quote from: Chrisowc on April 19, 2009, 11:39:27 PM
'The abolition of the fair catch'

Your hopeless ,you clearly can't grasp the fact that when all these sports where formed  they all allowed the use of the hands and as such your argument about Soccer  being "pure" doesn't apply.

Chrisowc

Read your own link!

Six years after the creation of the Sheffield Rules the Football Association rules were created.

J70

The board is quiet enough for decent topics these days without cordoning off the soccer threads into their own little section. Leave them where they are. There is only a few of them anyway.

Gnevin

Quote from: Chrisowc on April 19, 2009, 11:54:53 PM
Read your own link!

Six years after the creation of the Sheffield Rules the Football Association rules were created.
You mean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_the_Game#1863_rules "If a player makes a fair catch, he shall be entitled to a free kick, providing he claims it by making a mark with his heel at once; and in order to take such kick he may go back as far as he pleases, and no player on the opposite side shall advance beyond his mark until he has kicked."?

Chrisowc

ffs!  You are going over a law abolished over 130 years ago to justify why football should be called soccer.

Anyway, good to see you are contributing to the 'soccer' discussions on the board  ;)

Jim_Murphy_74

May be if you said that "football" is the one game that players only use their feet you'd be closer to the truth (leaving the keepers out....).  However I think that rugby, gaelic, australian and even American footballers do actually use their feet on occasion.

I notice that similar to Ireland countries like the US and Australia that have other popular codes regularly use the term soccer.  Indeed the Australian had a "soccer associations" and their international team was called the "socceroos" until order to change it by FIFA.  Maybe it's a convenience thing???????????

It's certainly seems to be an "OWC" habit to bristle every time soccer is mentioned (and indeed prompts the question "What's soccer").  I suspect that this comes from a reluctance to accept Gaelic football as a valid sport because it is run by the GAA.

/Jim.

nifan

Jim, they get annoyed when rugby people call it soccer too.

I dont get the issue. When someone says soccer or gaelic we all know what they mean. Football can be used for either but it is generally obvious in most contexts, or can be quickly clarified when not.

Some people are way to parochial over the names of things.

BennyHarp

Would this thread be considered a soccer disussion thread and therefore be included in the proposed new section - or is it a general discussion about a new section! Its all getting a bit confusing - we'll be under so much pressure to decide which section to post in incase we get shouted at! Would a disussion on a tv programme related to football (soccer) be in the soccer section? Say for example Jossy's Giants came back on tv - which section would i put a discussion about it on?
That was never a square ball!!