Create a 'Soccer Discussion' section!

Started by Tankie, April 19, 2009, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

One the first page here alone of 'General Discussion' there are 8 soccer threads, would it not be better to create a new section 'Soccer Discussion' section so that people will know where to go when they want to talk about soccer as there clearly is a demand to discussing it on the board. I assume the soccer boys would support this?

Mods, any chance of you could create this section?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

I know this has been suggested before but I for one would like to see this happening . The current affairs and other general discussions are falling off the 1st and sometimes 2nd page too fast.   Threads like http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=11937.0 which are quite popular  only seem to last on the 1st page for about  10 minutes.

A Soccer discussion would be much appreciated .

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Lecale2

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Maguire01

If there was a new sub-forum to be created, it would probably be best to call it 'other sports' (i.e. non GAA). No point in having a soccer forum and still have rugby, cricket etc discussed in the general forum.

Ping Pong Santa

Not a good idea.

Would they have to change the name to Gaa_and_soccer_board.com?

Gnevin

Quote from: Chrisowc on April 19, 2009, 08:09:39 PM
What is this soccer?
The word soccer is a colloquial abbreviation of association (from assoc.) and first appeared in the 1880s. The word is sometimes credited to Charles Wreford Brown, an Oxford student said to have been fond of shortened forms such as brekkers for breakfast and rugger for rugby football. (See Oxford -er)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 19, 2009, 08:09:56 PM
If there was a new sub-forum to be created, it would probably be best to call it 'other sports' (i.e. non GAA). No point in having a soccer forum and still have rugby, cricket etc discussed in the general forum.

But other sports wouldnt get a look in then, i think there is one cricket, one rugby thread that are very really discussed except if something major happens so it would come in under general discussion. But there is clearly a demand for a soccer section with so many soccer threads that are taking over General Discussion and always the dominant discussion on the first page.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Chrisowc

Quote from: Gnevin on April 19, 2009, 08:16:16 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on April 19, 2009, 08:09:39 PM
What is this soccer?
The word soccer is a colloquial abbreviation of association (from assoc.) and first appeared in the 1880s. The word is sometimes credited to Charles Wreford Brown, an Oxford student said to have been fond of shortened forms such as brekkers for breakfast and rugger for rugby football. (See Oxford -er)

Well, I'm just about to get din dins so I'll look it up later.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on April 19, 2009, 07:56:51 PM
One the first page here alone of 'General Discussion' there are 8 soccer threads, would it not be better to create a new section 'Soccer Discussion' section so that people will know where to go when they want to talk about soccer as there clearly is a demand to discussing it on the board. I assume the soccer boys would support this?

How about just have the team threads and then one general soccer thread to discuss general topics, like transfers or who's going to be relegated etc?
I know what you're saying with the suggestion but if you made a soccer section there's an argument for a political section and this is a GAA Board.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 19, 2009, 08:25:49 PM

How about just have the team threads and then one general soccer thread to discuss general topics, like transfers or who's going to be relegated etc?
I know what you're saying with the suggestion but if you made a soccer section there's an argument for a political section and this is a GAA Board.
I don't think having a soccer or even a political section is inconsistent with being a GAA Board unless rule 42 some how applies?   ;D ;)

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on April 19, 2009, 08:28:49 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 19, 2009, 08:25:49 PM

I don't think having a soccer or even a political section is inconsistent with being a GAA Board unless rule 42 some how applies?   ;D ;)

I can see what POG is saying but this is only a discussion board and if there is a clear need for a soccer section i see nothing wrong with having one.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Orior

Quote from: Ping Pong Santa on April 19, 2009, 08:10:53 PM
Not a good idea.

Would they have to change the name to Gaa_and_soccer_board.com?

Agreed. Not a good idea.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tankie

Quote from: hardstation on April 19, 2009, 09:32:52 PM
Fcuk off Tankie. Let's make a rugby section.

Or, just fcuk up, ya wee dick.

I dont think that there is demand for a Rugby section. But it is clear that you all have a huge interest in soccer and it has taken over the general discussion section, i really do not see what your problem is.

Also no need for the name calling - another poster would report you for that type of insult but i wont as you will probably end up banned and you aint the worst!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

Quote from: hardstation on April 19, 2009, 09:45:29 PM
Why do you complain so much?

It's a thread.

Open......Don't open

I is not a matter of open or close, the main page is full of soccer threads and other discussions get pushed down and then just dropped. If there is such and interest in one particular subject (English Soccer) that take up 8 threads on the main page alone well there there is a case for a soccer section.

What is peoples problem with it? it will make the board easier to use.
Grand Slam Saturday!