The Premier League relegation thread.

Started by Ping Pong Santa, April 18, 2009, 11:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 17, 2009, 12:27:14 AM
I'd gove almost anything to see WBA stay up. It's doubtful though.
Well with United winning the league, West Brom's chances of a result against Liverpool have gone from zero chance to some chance.

Ping Pong Santa

Was just thinking earlier, would Newcastle be in this mess if they hadn't sold Shay Given?

I can't think of any specific examples where Harper hasn't been up to it but I'm certain Given would have been worth at least 4-5 points more for them in the second half of the season? His leadership alone would have contributed that.

I know he wanted to go but surely they would have been able to persuade him to stay until the end of the season but instead they wanted to cash in on the January sale before the remainder of his contract got any shorter. What did he go for 6m or something like that? Could turn out to be the worst sale in Newcastles history if they go down.

Hound

Difficult to keep a player who demands to leave and who hands in an official transfer request. But definitely there have been a few goals that Harper let in that I think Given would have saved.

longrunsthefox

To paraphrase former Newcastle manager, I would just love it if they take the drop. I think they will too-Villa will chin them. Will be some girning then.

slow corner back

Villa are in a dire run of form too, one win in 14 or something, think this game has draw written all over it.

longball

Sad to see Boro go. they are gone they have to win at the weekend and hope the other teams get taked. Would love newcastle to go down, but i tipped Hull to go down when they were 7th in the premiership and everyone was saying how great they were as they beat arsenal.
who will jump ship for the drop boys:
Downing- Spurs
Tuncay- a lot of clubs will look at him
Wheater- West Ham
Brunt- Fulham
Owen- Everton
Martins- Arsenal

Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Hound

Hull v United should be an exciting game to watch, with Hull fighting for their lives and United's second string fighting for a place on the bench in the European Cup final. There'll be absolute uproar if Hull win!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 16, 2009, 09:40:20 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 16, 2009, 06:51:51 PM
Boro fans deserve all they get, their biggest game of the year and the place was half empty.

Boro effectively gone, they never broke into anything Europe (apart from winning the League cup in 2004) delighted they're fucked and the fact they have shite attendances means they deserve to be in a lower division.

That's how I feel about Boro too, a nothing club always destined for midtable medocrity, except this time of course. Hopefully the self-styled "big club" from that region takes the fall as well, not that I like Hull or anything, but seeing Shearer take them down would be epic.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: longball on May 18, 2009, 01:26:14 PM
Sad to see Boro go. they are gone they have to win at the weekend and hope the other teams get taked. Would love newcastle to go down, but i tipped Hull to go down when they were 7th in the premiership and everyone was saying how great they were as they beat arsenal.
who will jump ship for the drop boys:
Downing- Spurs
Tuncay- a lot of clubs will look at him
Wheater- West Ham
Brunt- Fulham
Owen- Everton
Martins- Arsenal

As a blue-no thank you re-Owen tho that Martins boy looks good.. we'll take him. 

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Hound on May 18, 2009, 02:11:49 PM
Hull v United should be an exciting game to watch, with Hull fighting for their lives and United's second string fighting for a place on the bench in the European Cup final. There'll be absolute uproar if Hull win!

West Ham beat United on the last day of the season in 2007 to stay up. Think people just accepted that with the title won the competitive edge wouldn't be there for United, although I think they were at full strength against West Ham as it was their last game of the season.

To be honest I'd rather play against a team of superstars going through the motions than a highly motivated team with Park, Evans, Macheda etc. At the end of the day the team that plays against Hull will be fairly similar to the side that won the Carling Cup.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Hound

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 18, 2009, 03:00:09 PM

West Ham beat United on the last day of the season in 2007 to stay up. Think people just accepted that with the title won the competitive edge wouldn't be there for United, although I think they were at full strength against West Ham as it was their last game of the season.

To be honest I'd rather play against a team of superstars going through the motions than a highly motivated team with Park, Evans, Macheda etc. At the end of the day the team that plays against Hull will be fairly similar to the side that won the Carling Cup.
Don't think United were at full strength v the Hammers - think they'd a cup final coming up. Sheff Utd got relegated and Warnock went ballisitc, but nobody likes him anyway so nobody cared!

Agree with your 2nd paragraph, but still think there'll be uproar if Hull win. The English media would have an absolute field day accusing Ferguson of relegating Shearer!

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteCarlos Tevez fired West Ham to a shock win at champions Manchester United to help keep his side in the Premiership.

The Argentine - at the centre of a row over his registration - scored on the stroke of half-time from close range.

Manchester United wasted a string of chances as West Ham fought fiercely for their top-flight status at the expense of Sheffield United who lost to Wigan.

West Ham stood firm to pull-off an amazing relegation escape and spoil Sir Alex Ferguson's title party.

A weakened Manchester United side were celebrating their 16th English league title against a Hammers team who needed a point to guarantee their Premiership status.

Sir Alex Ferguson left a host of star names on the bench and there were no complaints from his West Ham counterpart Alan Curbishley.

West Ham started confidently enough but it was the champions who had the first clear opportunity when Rooney squandered a great chance to open the scoring after Darren Fletcher's through-ball.

Wes Brown was twice called into action at the other end to clear his lines as the Hammers showed plenty of willingness to attack.

The home side looked the more likely to break through and Rooney, Alan Smith and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer all had half chances as West Ham held firm.

Yossi Benayoun rescued West Ham twice in a matter of seconds when he first headed Smith's flicked effort off the line, then stood firm as Kieran Richardson let fly with the rebound.

Tevez appealed for a penalty when his shot flicked off Brown but had to make do with a corner, which Fletcher cleared.

Robert Green then made a superb fingertip save to deny John O'Shea at the other end before Rooney screwed his volley wide after Heinze picked him out with a superb far-post cross.

West Ham took the lead in injury time, the home defence failing to deal with Green's long punt down field and, after exchanging passes with Bobby Zamora, Tevez squeezed his shot home.

The Red Devils were struggling to make any headway and Ferguson made a triple substitution before the hour mark with Patrice Evra, Michael Carrick and Alan Smith replaced by Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Hammers were forced back by wave after wave of red attacks which came to very little before Luis Boa Morte blazed a shot high and wide from a Nigel Reo-Coker cross.

West Ham survived several more near misses as cries of "champions, champions" echoed around Old Trafford.

But it was West Ham who deserved the victory after a lacklustre display from the home side with the FA Cup final just six days away.

For West Ham it was the culmination of a six week-long miracle relegation escape - that is unless the Sheffield United lawyers have their way.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, O'Shea, Brown, Heinze, Evra (Giggs 57), Solskjaer, Carrick (Scholes 58), Fletcher, Richardson, Smith (Ronaldo 58), Rooney.
Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Vidic.

West Ham: Green, Neill, Collins, Ferdinand, McCartney (Spector 28), Benayoun, Reo-Coker, Noble, Boa Morte, Zamora (Harewood 63), Tevez (Mullins 82).
Subs Not Used: Walker, Davenport.

Yep you're right Hound, had forgotten about the cup final against Chelsea and I see Ferguson had to defend himself afterwards. Missing a fair few there, I'd say it was stilla  far stronger team than will play against Hull though.

QuoteFerguson defends team selection
Sir Alex Ferguson
Man Utd rested players ahead of the FA Cup final on Saturday
Sir Alex Ferguson defended his team selection after Manchester United's 1-0 defeat by West Ham helped send Sheffield United into the Championship.

Ferguson fielded a weaker than expected team - much to the fury of the Blades.

"I feel for Sheffield United but we did our best and I don't think anyone can criticise us," argued Ferguson.

"We had 25 strikes at goal, four shots off the line and a penalty turned down. When Neil Warnock sees the stats he will understand we were unlucky."

Ferguson felt the Londoners were the form team heading into the fateful final weekend.

"West Ham have been in championship form," he said.

"They were the team in the best form coming into these fixtures.

"Whether West Ham should be in the league is not for me to say but their keeper made a couple of fantastic saves at the end and we did all we could.

"The first half was a one-horse race, then they scored right at the end of it, which was disappointing for us but they got encouragement from it.

"We had our best team on the field at the end but we won the title last week and it is understandable that it took the edge off our game a little bit, so in that sense it was a good time for West Ham to play us."

Manchester United celebrated their ninth Premiership title by collecting the trophy and parading around the Old Trafford pitch.

And Ferguson is expecting more glory next season.

"We have got a young squad and we can definitely win it again," he stated.

"Winning is a fantastic elixir of life. It's gives you something extra and I think they will go on and do more next year.

"It is a fantastic achievement by the players at the club. We are the best team in the country and play the best football.

"When you see the trophy in our hands you really know you have achieved."
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on May 18, 2009, 03:07:40 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 18, 2009, 03:00:09 PM

Don't think United were at full strength v the Hammers - think they'd a cup final coming up. Sheff Utd got relegated and Warnock went ballisitc, but nobody likes him anyway so nobody cared!

Agree with your 2nd paragraph, but still think there'll be uproar if Hull win. The English media would have an absolute field day accusing Ferguson of relegating Shearer!

I'm sure Fergie would be upset by that!

full back

I would be delighted to see Shearer take the Geordies down

Hound

If there's nothing in the rules against it, then Ferguson would be mad to play any of his first XI in the game v Hull. The only negative is it might tip off Barca as to what his team will be. Does fair play come into it? Ferguson has played weaker teams during the season before/after CL games, and this team will be at least as good as the Carling Cup winners. What will be very interesting will be if Tevez and/or Berbatov are picked. My gut is that neither will start the CL final, though I don't think there'd be a whole lot to gain by asking Berba to play v Hull.