The Premier League relegation thread.

Started by Ping Pong Santa, April 18, 2009, 11:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

To me it all comes down to can Newcastle beat Villa. Villa haven't been great but are at home and Newcastle are pretty muck. Don't see Hull beating even a weakened United (draw most likely) and not a hope of Sunderland getting a thing off Chelski I'd venture.

I would really enjoy seeing the barcodes go down if only for the scenes of fat Geordies bawling their eyes out! To be fair their supporters deserve a lot better than the shambles that has been served up to them for many years now. In a way, relegation might actually be good for them. I don't like Shearer but if they got relegated and he stuck with them he'd go up in my estimation.

Archie Mitchell

Will be hard to call. Out of the 4 teams, can only see Hull managing a point and the rest all losing.

Would love to see Newcastle go down as they think they are too big a club to go down. The whole set up of the club is a joke, which is why they are in that situation. Probably similar situation to Man City in the mid 90's when the people who ran the club didn't have a clue and resulted in the club being in the situation it was in.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2009, 05:53:42 PM
To me it all comes down to can Newcastle beat Villa. Villa haven't been great but are at home and Newcastle are pretty muck. Don't see Hull beating even a weakened United (draw most likely) and not a hope of Sunderland getting a thing off Chelski I'd venture.

I would really enjoy seeing the barcodes go down if only for the scenes of fat Geordies bawling their eyes out! To be fair their supporters deserve a lot better than the shambles that has been served up to them for many years now. In a way, relegation might actually be good for them. I don't like Shearer but if they got relegated and he stuck with them he'd go up in my estimation.

Not a chance I'd say. He'd be off before you could say 'I couldn't get the owner to guarantee the necessary transfer funds'

Minder

Out of curiosity where has the intense dislike for Shearer originated from? Nationality?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Minder on May 22, 2009, 10:11:04 PM
Out of curiosity where has the intense dislike for Shearer originated from? Nationality?
England captain, jealous envy, shit pundit, keith gillespie, neil lennon's face, successful sportsman, dour, mary poppins, murdering U2 song in his car, record goalscorer to name a few.

Minder

He should have been knighted for lamping Keith Gillespie. . . . .

Doogie Browser

Gillespie is a top drawer knobhead alright.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2009, 10:05:15 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 22, 2009, 05:53:42 PM

Not a chance I'd say. He'd be off before you could say 'I couldn't get the owner to guarantee the necessary transfer funds'

Is Shearer not just a interim manager? I presumed Joe Kinnear was coming back next season
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on May 22, 2009, 10:11:04 PM

For the United fans I'd say its because he turned down the chance to play for Man United twice..
Probably the nationality thing too with some which would be strange IMHO as some that don't like him wet themselves over other English players,I don't see why it should matter where anyone comes from to be honest(unless their Dubs  ;) )
I met him once and he was very genuine and down to earth,he was a great player one of the best the Premiership has seen imo
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Donnellys Hollow

Lost all respect for Shearer when Neil Lennon headbutted his boot and then Shearer threatened to withdraw from the England 1998 squad if he was banned. Always struck me as a very sneaky sort of a player.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

deiseach

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 23, 2009, 12:28:40 AM
Lost all respect for Shearer when Neil Lennon headbutted his boot and then Shearer threatened to withdraw from the England 1998 squad if he was banned. Always struck me as a very sneaky sort of a player.

Exactly. All this sheet-metal-worker's-son nonsense conceals a right sly dog. I freely admit that it's possible he's the nicest man alive in the real world, but the public persona exemplified by the incident you mention puts me off.

Minder

He couldnt be as big a tool as Neil Lennon

Ping Pong Santa

The Guardian did an excellent thing recently called 'The Seven Deadly Sins of Football'. Anyway, I read their 'Greed' edition and just fished it out here to add to the debate on Shearer:

"The Shearer Clause
Premier League footballers earn a considerable amount of money. But like many people, players often measure themselves not by how much they get paid, but by how much their colleagues are getting. This is perhaps the reason why Tyneside legend Alan Shearer reportedly had a clause in his contract during his time at St James' Park that would maintain his position as the highest-paid player at Newcastle United no matter what sum the Magpies agreed to pay new arrivals, such as the big money Dutch underachiever Patrick Kluivert. Little wonder, then, that Super Al always looked so pleased being Super Al."

Minder

Thats a nice bit of negotiating. . . . . . . In fairness whatever club be was at he always stuck it in the net.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 23, 2009, 12:28:40 AM
To be fair he was first in a very long queue of people dying to give Lennon a booting.