will mickey harte ever keep quiet?

Started by shamateur gaels, April 09, 2009, 01:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

For some reason people think managers/players in the gaa shouldn't be entitled to opinions. Mickey Harte writes a newspaper column and as the current manager of the All Ireland champions is regularly asked questions by the media. Of course his views are going to be made public. As the Tyrone manager of course he was going to want the Tyrone Armagh game in the venue Tyrone play there best football in. He put the interests of the team he manages first. Of course he is going to highlight when his players are treated differently to all other players in the country as was also acknowledged by Paddy Heaney today. Unless someone is giving a view that is in line with other people's views then they are criticised for having an opinion which is wrong.

ardmhachaabu

Harte writes a very bland column with nothing new offered, regurgitation of his views seems to be the order of the day.  He hasn't offered an insight in to being an All-Ireland winning manager which many of us were hoping he would... maybe he's keeping that sort of information for his book
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

SidelineKick

Talking about books I see he helped one of his holy-joe friends launch his new book. MH must be closer to God than many people will ever get (no Peter Canavan jokes please).  I am sick at looking at the man, if he would even tidy himself up a bit.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 10, 2009, 12:03:18 AM
Harte writes a very bland column with nothing new offered, regurgitation of his views seems to be the order of the day.  He hasn't offered an insight in to being an All-Ireland winning manager which many of us were hoping he would... maybe he's keeping that sort of information for his book

Mickey Harte never claimed he was going to offer such an insight and to expect a current manager to be writing about that sort of stuff in a weekly column was naive on your part.

tyssam5

Quote from: SidelineKick on April 10, 2009, 08:28:45 AM
Talking about books I see he helped one of his holy-joe friends launch his new book. MH must be closer to God than many people will ever get (no Peter Canavan jokes please).  I am sick at looking at the man, if he would even tidy himself up a bit.

Didn't they say the very same about Jesus?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 10, 2009, 12:20:27 PM

Mickey Harte never claimed he was going to offer such an insight and to expect a current manager to be writing about that sort of stuff in a weekly column was naive on your part.

Anything you don't defend him on? The man's a great manager but I'd have to question him about certain things he says.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Fear ón Srath Bán

Talking about books I see he helped one of his holy-joe friends launch his new book.

In fairness, that lad who's launched that book seems to be a grade 1 nutter.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Armamike

Quote from: tyssam5 on April 10, 2009, 09:36:30 PM

Didn't they say the very same about Jesus?

Ah for fuxksake, give us a break.

That's just, like your opinion man.

Maguire01

Mickey is definitely suffering from over exposure. I have been a big admirer of Mickey over the past number of years - there's no doubting his success with Tyrone. But this past few months he's becoming unbearable.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 10, 2009, 10:38:30 PM

Anything you don't defend him on? The man's a great manager but I'd have to question him about certain things he says.

What exactly has he said that has upset you? The man is entitled to his opinions just like everyone on here. People might not always agree with his opinion but that doesnt mean he isnt entitled to it. I havent saw anything he has said that could upset anyone. The only problem is that when he says something 3 or 4 media outlets run with it over a few days which makes it seem like he has said it on numerous occasions. He feels strongly about the international rules for example as he obviously see's it as a threat to the game he loves, I'm not sure how that could cause offence to any gaa supporter.

ONeill

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 10, 2009, 11:41:33 PM
Mickey is definitely suffering from over exposure.

Haven't seen signs of Mickey suffering from anything.

Perhaps you mean you are suffering....??
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stephenite

Like any good high profile manager (amateur or professional), he will use his position to try and gain the maximum advantage for his team by using the press. Ger Loughnanne was the master from a Gaelic Games perspective, Billy Morgan was hilariously inept.

There is a fine line however between using it successfully and making a balls of it, but he seems to be sticking to the tried and tested script - creating a seige mentality for his squad by making them believe that everyone is out to get them blah blah etc. etc. It's been going on since reporters started writing about sport

'Tis all fairly standard stuff and not worth getting upset about in fairness.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 11, 2009, 12:30:40 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on April 10, 2009, 10:38:30 PM

What exactly has he said that has upset you? The man is entitled to his opinions just like everyone on here. People might not always agree with his opinion but that doesnt mean he isnt entitled to it. I havent saw anything he has said that could upset anyone. The only problem is that when he says something 3 or 4 media outlets run with it over a few days which makes it seem like he has said it on numerous occasions. He feels strongly about the international rules for example as he obviously see's it as a threat to the game he loves, I'm not sure how that could cause offence to any gaa supporter.

Where have I said he is not entitled to an opinion?

You say Mickey is entitled to his opinion, which is fair enough. But then you act the hypocrite when people have the temerity to disagree with what he says.

For the record I don't agree with him on a lot of the disicpline and anti-Tyrone issues he's bringing up lately but we've been through that on the Tommy McGuigan thread. Sure a manager will defend his team from time to time. Doesn't mean right minded GAA followers have to agree agree with it, in the same way as I wouldn't agree with John O'Mahony if he defended the indefencible (sp).
Also the column is crap. Wasn't expecting much more but I'm entitled to say its crap if we live in a freedom of speech society that you keep harping on about.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Maguire01

Quote from: ONeill on April 11, 2009, 01:09:48 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 10, 2009, 11:41:33 PM
Mickey is definitely suffering from over exposure.

Haven't seen signs of Mickey suffering from anything.

Perhaps you mean you are suffering....??
His reputation is suffering. You might not see that.