Catholics the majority in Schools in NI

Started by SuperMac, April 02, 2009, 05:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Quote from: Rossfan on April 03, 2009, 06:20:01 PM
In my opinion when the new "All Ireland" comes about it will be some form of Confederacy of 2 Semi autonomous States(26 Cos/6 Cos) each having control of many internal and day to day affairs while the Confederacy will look after major things like foreign affairs etc.
There will be a bland National Anthem( Our beautiful Island/Ar Oileán Alainn/ Oor Gron wee b it o' groon in the meddle o watter) and some kind of neutral flag -- white with a green outline of Ireland in the middle.
Then the 26 Cos can still have the Tricolour/Amhrann na bhF,Dáil etc while the 6 Cos can have its State flag and anthem ( whatever they will be  ::))
Residents of the 6 Cos could have Brit and Irish citizenship and it could remain part of a Commonwealth.
Then take it from there.

That could probably work, especially the bit about irish and british citizenship, throw in a national health system and you'd be laughing.

Rossfan

I suspect Health could well be an Internal Function due to the major differences in the 2 systems. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ardmhachaabu

If joining the Commonwealth was going to feature as some sort of political deal to achieve re-unification, it would be the whole 32 counties involved.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Rossfan

Not necessarily. A new situation you make your own system.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ardmhachaabu

See, this was touted before by none less than Desmond Boal and has also been talked about by some political parties since then (though none publicly).

Trust me on this, without the whole island joining the Commonwealth, it's a non-starter.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Maguire01

Quote from: delboy on April 03, 2009, 05:48:00 PM
A bit of irony that the best hope for a unified ireland may rest in the hands of the tories (soon to be in power) and English nationalism  :o
I think the new arrangements between the Tories and Ulster Unionists make that much less likely.

Hardy

Just for anyone who mightn't know - my quote above about hearts and minds, trust and fear, etc. was from John Hume.

Donagh

Quote from: Hardy on April 04, 2009, 07:24:50 AM
Just for anyone who mightn't know - my quote above about hearts and minds, trust and fear, etc. was from John Hume.

Very tactfully put. Must say I had a giggle at some of those replies last night.

slow corner back

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 03, 2009, 07:10:05 PM
A bit of irony that the best hope for a unified ireland may rest in the hands of the tories (soon to be in power) and English nationalism  :o
I think the new arrangements between the Tories and Ulster Unionists make that much less likely.
I would not be so sure, in case none of you have noticed there is currently an SNP government in power in Scotland. They  are a minority government and were recently knocked back in an application for a refurendum on scottish independence however nothing will hasten the pace of Scottish independence quicker than a tory government in Westminster which will probably happen by about 2010/11. Following a Tory victory at Westminster I would fully expect the SNP to win a majority at the next scottish election in 2012, with a majority they will push through a referendum for scottish independence. How can any Ulster Scots expect to maintain a union when there is no UK left?

magickingdom

maybe you should have pointed that out at the time? .....next time  ;)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Ahh John, you'll always have a place in history as the man who shook Gerry Adam's hand.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Fair dues to John Hume he did the right thing.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Really!, is that one UU seat going to make an ounce of difference?  ::)
Tbc....

Maguire01

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 05, 2009, 02:48:29 AM

Why then did the Tories even bother?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 05, 2009, 11:57:28 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 05, 2009, 02:48:29 AM

Why then did the Tories even bother?

No idea, Conservatives might know though.
Tbc....