Tommy Mc Guigan Ban

Started by Oakleafer93, April 01, 2009, 11:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: AFS on April 02, 2009, 02:35:19 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 02, 2009, 02:26:59 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 02, 2009, 02:24:53 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 02, 2009, 01:35:52 PM
Tommy is not a dirty player and Sean Marty was giving him plenty of stick - I'm not trying to defend his actions but surely there has to be a consistent approach with regard to all of this video evidence stuff -

Last year Meath and Dublin played in the national league - it was on TG4 - there was a bit of a melee and very, very hefty suspensions were handed down. On the exact same day, Armagh played Cork in the national league in Crossmaglen and there was a melee but no action was taken as it wasn't on TV.

Surely the system needs changed ??

This is a complete myth propagated by people who didn't see the incident, in order to make Dublin and Meath seem like some sort of victims. There wasn't one punch thrown in Cross that day, a few fellas (8 or 10) barging into each other (definitely not the 27 man pile in as some Dublin gutter journo tried to paint it as). It was the type of handbags incident you'll see a dozen times in this year's Championship.

So how many got suspended for this "barging" into each other ?

None. Since when do you get suspended for giving someone a nudge? If you start that half of the intercounty footballers in the country will be suspended by the middle of June.

True - but are we going to examine EVERY single indiscretion whether it is dealt with at the time or not or are we going to simply examine those caught on camera ??

In other words, if there is no camera about is it open season ??

The GAA

Basically The tyrone complaint here is that its not fair their players get caught all the time?

orangeman

No it's not.

Quote from: The GAA on April 02, 2009, 04:06:02 PM

Basically The tyrone complaint here is that its not fair their players get caught all the time?

Last year Meath and Dublin played in the national league - it was on TG4 - there was a bit of a melee and very, very hefty suspensions were handed down. On the exact same day, Armagh played Cork in the national league in Crossmaglen and there was a melee but no action was taken as it wasn't on TV.

screenexile

Exactly!

The GAA

Quote from: orangeman on April 02, 2009, 04:07:18 PM
No it's not.

Are you saying its unfair that the dublin, meath and tyrone players were caught and suspended but the cork and armagh players were not?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Deal_Me_In on April 02, 2009, 12:11:20 PM
If the authorities are going to use TV for what are essentially minor incidents then they need to be consistent. Can anyone explain why Rory Woods was not brought before the CCCC when it was clearly caught on TV him kicking a Kildare player lying on the ground? I agree that it was not a hard kick and more of a jab to get the player to get up again , but by definition it was kicking and technically deserved a ban. I don't think it did, but if the CCCC are going to review situations they need to apply it fairly accross all games/teams and not be selective in their punishment.

P.S. I have not condoned what McGuigan did and agree that if a ban is issued it is waranted, but i do feel that the incident was addressed by the referee at the time and that should be the end of the matter.

Completely agree.
lets either have  video evidence or dont.
you can't pick when you decide to use it and when not to.if we are going to go down that road then a citing commissioner needs to review video evidence of every single inter county game and treat them all the same, not just the incidents highlighted by a pundit on the box
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

SidelineKick

Quote from: rrhf on April 02, 2009, 12:04:48 PM
You could do well to hold your council on this one sideline kick,  on the Francie Bellew thread you are literally blowing smoke up his arse - Is it too much to expect a little consistency please even though Tommy is fromTyrone. 

Can't see where I have done this.

If you had a look through my other posts however I have already said I don't want a witch hunt and that Tommy is not that type of player usually, also that I enjoy watching him.  I am getting at you for saying its fair game because Sean Marty was mouthing. By that logic most players in every team in every game should be allowed to knee McMeniman in the balls as he is never done mouthing.  I also did say that in a different scenario one might say Lockhart deserved what he got as he was mouthing, but you simply cannot justify kneeing someone in the balls because of this.

Get your white and red blinkers off, this is not a Tyrone bashing thread but yet again I will ask, this must be the tenth time, why do you think Tommy was ticked?  Nothing he did warranted a tick.  it happened in front of me and also infront of the linesman who could not have missed it (and before you go off on one I have already said our very own Barry McGoldrick kneed Joyce in the leg, again in front of the linesman, and got away with it.  He had no call to do it and should have walked.)  Linesmen also need to grow a set.

Quote from: ziggysego on April 02, 2009, 01:54:15 PM
Tyrone don't like 'erry teams.

:D very good Ziggy, much like the rest of Ireland don't like 'yrone teams  ;) :D
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Maguire01

No it's not.

It's far from perfect, but with the likes of the Cork/Armagh example, it's difficult for the authorities to consider what happened (and base punishments on what happened) if they don't have any reliable (i.e. video) evidence to review.

supersarsfields

Quote from: screenexile on April 02, 2009, 04:08:11 PM

Exactly!

I think the point we're making has been raised above. With only certain games receiving media time this trial by TV is making it an uneven playing field. I'd agree that we'd like to see these incidents stop across the board and not just in the TV games.

SidelineKick

Quote from: supersarsfields on April 02, 2009, 04:30:26 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 02, 2009, 04:08:11 PM

Exactly!

I think the point we're making has been raised above. With only certain games receiving media time this trial by TV is making it an uneven playing field. I'd agree that we'd like to see these incidents stop across the board and not just in the TV games.

Completely agree but as I have said numerous times, if we can't stamp it out on the televised games with video evidence when can we expect to stamp it out?  Its like a celebrity being caught assaulting someone because the press follow them around being compared to a down and out assaulting another person.  Just because the famous person has hard evidence against them we shouldnt persue the case because no hard evidence is available for the hobo?
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Oakleafer93

Quote from: rrhf on April 02, 2009, 11:53:02 AM
But the referee dealt with this and now he is being overruled and nobody got killed.  In the Tyrone championship they video each game by their own people so they are consistent.  At national level they apparently leave it to the whims of TG4 to see what level of discipline enforcement will be used.   ifa nobody from Armagh bates a man to pulp in,  the Tyrone man gets it for a bit of a "knees up" because hes more famous and on TV more often. 

Maybe the standard of morals in Tyrone is just that bit lower then the rest of the country as has been displayed this year.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 02, 2009, 04:28:18 PM
No it's not.

It's far from perfect, but with the likes of the Cork/Armagh example, it's difficult for the authorities to consider what happened (and base punishments on what happened) if they don't have any reliable (i.e. video) evidence to review.

Far from perfect, its a complete joke if Tommy McGuigan gets done. At least 3 worse incidents were caught on camera in the Monaghan game and not another word was said about it. Its always interesting to note the difference of posters reactions on here to. You know rightly if McGuigan gets done he and Ricey have been treated differently because of the county they're from.

ExiledGael

Have quite a bit of sympathy here for Tyrone (for a change). Can't understand at all why McGuigan was hit with a ban yet two weeks ago the Monaghan goalkeeper came charging out of his goal and almost decapitated the Kildare full-forward also on TV.
It was reckless, dangerous and cowardly and pointed out on Sunday Sport. Rory Woods was also shown kicking a fella on the knee (allbeit lightly) while he was lying injured but clinging the ball and Darren Hughes soon after for dropping the knee on a player.
The keeper at the very least deserved a ban, the only reason he didn't must have been either the CCC or whoever didn't watch the highlights that night or they didn't see fit to make an example of a lesser side/player. Either way it's unfair. Either we use all TV coverage where possible to ban dangerous/dirty play or we let the ref deal with it.
Yet again it's not the refs, rules and regulations but the inconsistencies that are the really infuriating thing here.

orangeman

The current system of discilpinary procedure in the GAA seems to be left to the referee.

In some cases, IF there's a camera around, some parts of the GAA will go back and look at video evidence and suspend a player AFTER the game even ( in this case ) where the referee has taken action.

It seems that IF it's brought up in a newspaper or the Sunday Game / Sunday Sport show, then the GAA believe that for the sake of the PR machine, they need to do something.

Surely this isn't right ??

Surely we need a CONSISTENT approach across the board, eg have a panel review EVERY match and decide if the ref has dealt with all incidents fairly. It seems to work in rugby - but this ad hoc / arbitrary way we're doing it now is just making the association and its' rules look silly.

EXILED GAEL makes a very valid point about the Monaghan goalkeeper - if that wasn't a sending off / yellow card offence I don't know. The ref didn't even give a free. Rory Woods puts the boot in a player and on he goes.

Tyrone Dreamer

Would it be to late to ban a Monaghan player? My guess is that it is. If it wasnt it wouldnt suprise me if they suspended 1 of them and made an excuse for the delay. This way they could get away with targeting McGuigan. If McGuigan gets done Tyrone should not take this lying down.