Ard Mhacha v An Mhí 29-3-09

Started by TacadoirArdMhacha, March 22, 2009, 07:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rionach 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard to know about yesterdays match. Its a kinda of glass half empty or half full syndrome . There were a good few positives but also a few worrying points .  Goalkeeper a point in case. He has improved with every game and is realistically staking his claim for the championship. Good shot stopper and kickouts good. His punching of the ball sometimes shows a lack of confidence but I think this can be easily eradicated.
Full back line . very nervy first half . Lost their man, allowed him to gain possession , Tackled and resulting free. Finnian was the chief culprit here . Barry Shannon must also feel he is in with a big shout for his place . Did a real good job on Bray when switched.

Aoran Kernan was excellent . He is comfortable on the ball, rarely looses possession and his distribution was again excellent.  We have about four or five players like that , AIdan O Rourke. Martin orourke Aaron  Keran Mc Keever Stephen Mc Donnell. All good ball players who don't usually get caught in possesion. Tyrone have a good few players like that as  do Kerry.

Midfield battled manfully against a much physicaly stronger opposition that cleaned out the monaghan midfield of Clerkin and Lennon in the previous game. This looks to be the blend . Charlie is starting to come to the fore .

Brian Mallon I agree was disappointing yesterday. His distribution was poor. He does get invloved quite a bit and gets a fair share of possesion but we need to make more use of it..
Martin for me was possibly man of the match. And in the past I have been very critical of him. I always felt he got more possession than any other three men but not enough came of it .Yesterday he was the playmaker in chief and along with stevie would battle for man of the match. Very encouragng.

Kevin O rourke does feel hard done by he was called ashore after 13 mins and immediatley after he fluffed a ball on the fourteen yard line . He missed two before it but I felt over his performances  from the league began he was worth more than 13 mins. We can all have a bad start. It wont do his confidence any  good. His tantrums won't help his case either.
Joe feeney did well. Only fumbled one possesion but won quite a bit of ball. But Joe don't look round for someone to give it to everytime you get it . Shoot urself . at times yesterday it was infuriating to see you gain good possesion and then turn around and look for somebody to off-load. Take on the responsibilty yourself. Any way my first time seeing you in a full game and well done good contribution.

My other bright spot  was seeing Ryan Henderson come on and play the way he did. Four times he gained vital possesion scored one point and made another. Ryan has had it tough since the wexford game. The tag of one  hit wonder was floating about. I feel he has a lot to offer
As to the game as a whole we gave away possesion quite easily on a few occassions and we didn,t put Meath away when we had the chances to do so. Again we were involved in Frantic goalmouth scrambles to save the game and could have ended up losing it. We need to be more ruthless and clinical in our finishing. Anyway thats the rant over .
Is Paddy McKeever of the panel?? We Birds are talking.   

Benny Barnaveld

Late reply, but it has taken me until this morning to defrost! Got a real foundering!

We definitely deserved to win although they could have nicked a goal at the end. Thought overall we played well, great to see Donaghy back in the side, and thought the back six seemed to be much more solid than they have been of late.

C.McKeever star man again, excellent display I thought, really tight marker, and not only that made a few great dispossessions, hope his injury is not serious. Don't know how Morarty stayed on or was not moved out sooner, was destroyed on Sunday, gave away some frees too, very naïve. Having said that he buried a good goal chance, and made a slight improvement in the second half.

Thought Vernon was very solid, and really drove on when in possession.

Half forward line was shocking. I know I have been critical of some aspects of MOR at times, but he was excellent today, SK and BM were major disappointments.

Stevie put in his best shift in a while, and Feeney was keen. Not sure what happened KOR, I hope his was injured, because would not like to think he was swapped after 15 when others, like SK and FM are playing far worst and are changed late, or not at all.

We do not have such a multitude of riches in the forward line that we can afford to treat people the way KOR was on Sunday.

The GAA

Sunday was a real mixed bag and while i was disappointed with aspects of it the part you'd have to be pleased with is the grinding out of the win. to be fair, meath deserved something from the game.

I thought McEvoy was good in goals again. on the punching aspect of his game, i feel its a better option if he's not 100% sure of the catch. armagh should know better than most on recent experiences that even a point is a better result than a goalkeeper fumble. he's very alert compared to hearty - who looks to be the size of a house - and a much better shot stopper. in fact, i think McEvoy / McKinney would be a great battle for the keeper jersey.

As has been said, Moriarty was a disaster again in the full back line. donaghy and shannon did very decent jobs - even though donaghy doesn't look that sharp yet - and shannon did very well on bray after the switch. although moriarty supported and took his goal brilliantly its all he contributed when he was in the half back line. he's not good enough, its as simple as that. he must have compromising photos of McDonnell to stay on the pitch last week and this week.

Same old problem with aaron in the half back line for me. he kicked his frees and got forward well when the opportunity arose but his man got on so much ball it wasn't funny. thankfully he didn't use it well and kicked loads of ball away but as we've seen so often in the past, the right player will destroy him. i really think he has to make the wing forward position work for the good of the team - not least because we don't seem to have any effective wing forwards at present. McKeever was strong and aggressive, tackling brilliantly as usual. i was surprised to see his man get by him a couple of times but overall he won the battle comfortably. McClelland is a solid work horse. he battles hard and seems to give everything but his lack of pace and poor distribution leave him a bit short for county football in my opinion.

I thought Vernon's performance was very good on sunday. great to see him putting back to back displays like that together and his confidence seems to be building nicely. toner had a torrid day but i like his work rate and application, which was great even on a day when things weren't going that well for him.

mor seems to be vacating the centre forward slot to allow stevir to operate there and it has worked well now in kildare and against meath. stevie is very clever and is picking up good positions and using the ball well (this week). Its also getting him into scoring positions and there's no better man coming onto the ball  facing goal. mor covered great ground and his battle with moyles was good to watch. his kick passing has also improved quite a bit and as a consequence he's the only man in the half back / midfield / half forward area capable of delivering quality kick passes inside. this is a major area of worry for a team that were often feted for that quality.

Both wing forwards were dire in my book. SK got a fair bit of possession (which he goes extremely deep to get so as his marker won't be on him) bu i can't remember him using a siingle ball productively. does our half back line need a wing forward to hand the ball to coming out? because of his make up he understandably avoids contact but in county football you can't get thrugh 70 minutes like that and every time an opponent threatens a tackle he drops the ball. not good enough in my opinion and there are countless better on the line and even not on the panel. Mallon is a mystery. since his injury he just hasn't been good enough and i think all of us are judging him on the brian mallon of 4 years ago and waiting for glimpses of that type of form. there is no evidence in the last 3 years that this is realistic. his league form thins year has not been that of a starter yet he has started every game?

I thought young feeney showed well for his first national league start. plenty of pace and good movement. he should a fair bit of naivity and maybe a bit of hesitancy at times but that's to be expected. i think he'll be a big player for armagh over the next 2-3 years. there's a fair bit of defending of kor on here but i'm not sure i agree. i haven't thought he's been great overall. a few very good moments against monaghan and kildare but those were highlights which disproved the normal run of things with him. he doesn't show for / want the ball often enough for me and puts men out the field under pressure as a consequence. sure he an score when he gets the ball but thats only the final 10% of an intercounty forward's game. his worst trait is when he doesn't go for the ball when its there for him. that has been too often in my book - an i thoght that was the signal he was giving out early on sunday. maybe he should have been given more time to demonstrate a better attitude but not in my book. This is the highest level of football we have and if you're not committed enough to go for the ball in the first 10 mins you don't deserve "settling in time".

McDonnell has a bit of bullet biting to do which includes leaving out moriarty, McClelland, mallon, sk and kor, and persevering / making it work with ak in the wing forward position.

Harold Disgracey

There is a fair bit of unwarranted criticism of Brian Mallon without any consideration as to whether or not the role he is being asked to play actually suits his style of play. Personally I would like to see him play in a more attacking role, as traditional chf or sniping around the square, rather than the quasi half back role he seems to be playing at the moment.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 31, 2009, 12:07:46 PM
There is a fair bit of unwarranted criticism of Brian Mallon without any consideration as to whether or not the role he is being asked to play actually suits his style of play. Personally I would like to see him play in a more attacking role, as traditional chf or sniping around the square, rather than the quasi half back role he seems to be playing at the moment.

I think that is a very good point Harold.  If Peter is going to persist with Stevie out the field(which I think he should), why not try Mallon and Clarke in the FF line, with MOR, Peader Toal(if he gets his finger out) and Aaron Kernan in the half forward line.  My only concern about that is that there are no real other options from kick outs apart from the MF.

corn02

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 31, 2009, 12:26:37 PM

I think that is a very good point Harold.  If Peter is going to persist with Stevie out the field(which I think he should), why not try Mallon and Clarke in the FF line, with MOR, Peader Toal(if he gets his finger out) and Aaron Kernan in the half forward line.  My only concern about that is that there are no real other options from kick outs apart from the MF.

Mallon used to be quite a goal threat too, good shout Harold. I also think he is coming in for a lot of unjustified stick. There are a lot of players play the role they are asked to do and because they are not getting the scores they are taken apart.

armaghniac

If AK plays in the HF line then he could fill the role of going back to help the defence, perhaps allowing Mallon play in a more forward position.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mountainboii

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 31, 2009, 12:26:37 PM

I like these ideas. Brian Mallon is in danger of going down the same road as Paddy McKeever, where the excellent, natural attacking flair that he showed in the first couple of years of his career is in danger of being drummed out of him due to the defensive, workmanlike game he's being asked to play. Aaron is a better option for this role if McDonnell is going to persist with it.

The GAA

Whilst i don't necessarily agree that the criticism of mallon is unjustified i think it would be a good idea to play him inside with clarke. an immediate solution to that position is not forthcoming despite the early promise of some of the younger guys. as a half forward you are gonna be tracking men and winning ball - that's just the way it is in the modern game. mallon isn't best suited to this and doesn't appear fit enough to then go an contribute to the attack after he does the initial work.

omagh_gael

would A kernan not make a good chf? Good passer of the ball, can take a score etc.

The GAA

He needs to be in space - away from a marker or tacklers

Benny Barnaveld

Yeah I would concur with that.
It is one thing coming out with a ball and passing the opposition FF line's haf tackles, but another when up against dedicated markers who are all you on the time.
I am not sure of Mallon in the FF line, he isnt even the height of 2 turf. As i recollect he was in that position a few times on Sunday and had not a snowball's chace in hel of getting onto anything.

Did anyone else notice an unwllingness to shoot when about 35 yards out, mostly from Mallon and SK?
Looking for layoffs when maybe they should have been ahaving a go

Armamike

Brian Mallon played a few games for Armagh as corner forward in the league a few years back and didnt do too bad - always handy for a point or 2.   I think Aaron Kernan needs to be in the half forward line - he just doesn't concentrate on the man marking for a wing back, far too open a player, concedes too much space to his man and too many scores. If he's played as half forward he has license to drop deep, sweep up a few balls and go on his runs, i.e. the things he's good at and likes to do. He doesn't have to be standing on the 40 with his back to goal waiting for a high ball into him.  I don't really care if he's not comfortable or keen playing in the half forwards - he needs to adapt his game for the team. IMO if he did so, it would open up a lot of possibilities. And it's just a bug bear of mine, but i don't agree with backs (i.e. Aaron) running up the field to take frees. That's a forward's job.

That's just, like your opinion man.

corn02

I would be in the yes camp for trying Aaron in the half-forward line.

His intelligence on the ball could work at 11. Would be worth trying in a league game anyway. One left for that to happen.

rionach 4

I would also be in the yes camp for Aaron in the half forward line.