The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

They're simple questions and very relevant.

You're arrogantly sitting up there on your high horse accusing me of having lost the plot and more, so you should have no problem answering them.

We have two different things here:

1.   Twitter, for some period between one and two days, stopped the sharing, by anyone, of the original Hunter Biden story on its platform due to serious doubts over its provenance. That is both the original tweets from the NY Post, AND the sharing of links to the story.

2.   The second issue is, given the freeze on the official NY Post account, whether Twitter ALSO prevented the sharing of the story (and follow up stories) from other sources, whether it was links to the Post website; secondary reporting from other organizations; opinion pieces providing details; personal tweets providing details/commentary.

You said that the Post's revelations were "stopped dead in their tracks for two whole weeks".

Well were they or not?

whitey

WERE DISCUSSING TWITTER.....not webpages and not print newspapers not what other people were or weren't able to do

The NY Post was the got to source for the story because they were the only ones I believe who had the hard drive in their possession 

New revelations could not be shared on Twitter by the NY Post because their account was suspended

That's flat out suppression of the story.....

If Twitter did nothing wrong why did they say it was a mistake and apologize for freezing their account?

https://nypost.com/2021/03/25/dorsey-says-blocking-posts-hunter-biden-story-was-total-mistake/amp/

" But Dorsey dodged a question from Rep. Steve Scalise about who decided to freeze the 200-year-old newspaper's account."

J70

So leaving aside the initial 1-2 day hold-up of the story, this whole bruhaha is over whether the NY Post could THEMSELVES tweet the story?

Its not about whether they could publish their findings?

Not about their revelations being stopped "dead in their tracks for two whole weeks" LOL?

Not about others not being able publish links to the Post's website editions of the stories?

Not about others not being able to publish secondary reporting or opinion pieces or independent musings which detailed the findings.

This is ALL about whether the dissemination of the story came via official NY Post tweets instead of Fox News or WSJ tweets or Breitbart's website or Trump himself or any of the thousands of other sources and channels out there, whether print, email, tweet, Facebook/Instagram/Tik Tok, radio, cable news etc. etc. etc.?

Ok then.

On the freezing of the Post's account, I've already said I don't give a bollocks about it, but I'll expand.

Dealing with online misinformation was a hot and pertinent issue at the time with no manual to refer to. This was a story with problematic written all over it from the beginning. If Dorsey later felt he couldn't defend what they did in retrospect, so be it, but it was something they were basically making up as they went along. Musk himself came out about a month ago and said, in advance, pleading for patience, that they (Twitter) would be f**king up here and there in the coming months as they try to figure out, through trial and error, how to operate the platform according to his wishes.

Second, the actual consequences of what Twitter did had little suppressive effect on the story. If anything, it blew the story up even more. It was all over the place, even being discussed here on a bloody website populated by Irish people here to discuss, primarily, GAA. But, as with so much of the overhyped nonsense that comes out of the US right, many people just didn't give a shit or see it as particularly relevant. They were less concerned that Joe Biden's son was a basket case trading on his father's name than they were about getting the actual basket case racist, covid-denying president out of the White House.

whitey

So by your standards locking their account for 2 weeks (while they were in sole possession of the hard drive) was not an attempt at suppression?

Fair enough

Gabriel_Hurl

You lads off for the holidays already?

Wildweasel74

You lads need give this forum a break, bound help your blood pressure. The constant back and forth stopped any poster dipping in with the odd comment to stop long ago.

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 12, 2022, 04:39:45 PM
So by your standards locking their account for 2 weeks (while they were in sole possession of the hard drive) was not an attempt at suppression?

Fair enough

No, I didn't say that.

I said it was inconsequential and had no real effect. And may have been perfectly defensible at the time from Twitter's perspective.

J70

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 12, 2022, 05:52:46 PM
You lads need give this forum a break, bound help your bloody od pressure. The constant back and forth stopped any poster dipping in with the odd comment to stop long ago.

Well sure stick us on ignore then.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 12, 2022, 06:25:58 PM

Fair enough

No, I didn't say that.

I said it was inconsequential and had no real effect. And may have been perfectly defensible at the time from Twitter's perspective.

LOL

Probably the biggest October surprise in the History of Presidential campaigns and the shuttering of their access to Twitter "was inconsequential and had no real effect"

How convenient

Was it suppression?

Yes or no?

J70

Quote from: whitey on December 12, 2022, 06:47:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 12, 2022, 06:25:58 PM

Fair enough

No, I didn't say that.

LOL

Probably the biggest October surprise in the History of Presidential campaigns and the shuttering of their access to Twitter "was inconsequential and had no real effect"

How convenient

Was it suppression?

Yes or no?

Yes.

Now how about you be honest and acknowledge that it had f**k all effect on the spread of a story which was otherwise out there both on and off Twitter?

GAABoardMod5

Thread might be locked and a few posters given time off until January...just a thought at this stage, but might gain traction quickly.

J70

Eamonnca1

I'm torn about this thread. It's a topic that's worth discussing, but the constant repetition of conservative talking points by two Fox News-heads makes it terribly tedious.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 12, 2022, 07:46:47 PM
Fair enough. Have at it lads.

Good luck J70

I think we have devoted more than enough time to this

Have a great Christmas with your family

Gmac

A discussion forum that wants to stop discussion