The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on March 15, 2021, 06:51:27 PM
Quote from: Gmac on March 15, 2021, 06:45:59 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 15, 2021, 06:26:26 PM
I see the WaPo are covering themselves in glory again.....no better than Fox News or Breitbart imho

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-call-georgia-investigator/2021/01/09/7a55c7fa-51cf-11eb-83e3-322644d82356_story.html#click=https://t.co/8We1LtgEhS

correction: Two months after publication of this story, the Georgia secretary of state released an audio recording of President Donald Trump's December phone call with the state's top elections investigator. The recording revealed that The Post misquoted Trump's comments on the call, based on information provided by a source. Trump did not tell the investigator to "find the fraud" or say she would be "a national hero" if she did so. Instead, Trump urged the investigator to scrutinize ballots in Fulton County, Ga., asserting she would find "dishonesty" there. He also told her that she had "the most important job in the country right now." A story about the recording can be found here. The headline and text of this story have been corrected to remove quotes misattributed to Trump.
bit late now that the loons have taken over the asylum.

Loons with high approval ratings. The country is liking what it is seeing so far. 8)
what policies are popular?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on March 15, 2021, 06:49:50 PM
I see the WaPo are covering themselves in glory again.....no better than Fox News or Breitbart imho

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-call-georgia-investigator/2021/01/09/7a55c7fa-51cf-11eb-83e3-322644d82356_story.html#click=https://t.co/8We1LtgEhS

correction: Two months after publication of this story, the Georgia secretary of state released an audio recording of President Donald Trump's December phone call with the state's top elections investigator. The recording revealed that The Post misquoted Trump's comments on the call, based on information provided by a source. Trump did not tell the investigator to "find the fraud" or say she would be "a national hero" if she did so. Instead, Trump urged the investigator to scrutinize ballots in Fulton County, Ga., asserting she would find "dishonesty" there. He also told her that she had "the most important job in the country right now." A story about the recording can be found here. The headline and text of this story have been corrected to remove quotes misattributed to Trump.

So instead of "finding the fraud", she would find "dishonesty" and instead of being a "national hero" she had "the most important job in the country right now" finding the fraud dishonesty.

That puts a very strikingly different tone on the story there whitey. ;D ::)

Funny how 100% of these mistakes fall one way isn't it?

And yes....big bloody difference between what was initially "reported" and what was actually said on the call.

Not surprised you're poo pooing it though, given you fell hook line and sinker for every debunked Democratic fraud allegation surrounding the 2016 election

Gmac

FEMA heading for the southern border to try help in the humanitarian disaster joe Biden's comments and policy caused .

Main Street

Quote from: omochain on March 12, 2021, 05:56:31 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 12, 2021, 05:32:41 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2021, 02:34:12 PM
Quote from: whitey on March 12, 2021, 02:29:21 PM
The issue I see is that Democrats are very quick to cry voter suppression when in  oftentimes the things they are objecting to are identical to laws enacted by Democratic Secretaries of State in other states.

Well if the Dems are trying to do things like limit early and election day voting and demand notaries for mail-in ballots, fire away and show us where.

So in MA, which has a Democratic Secretary of State, mail in ballots have to be received by Election Day. When Republicans tried to advocate for that in PA they were accused of voter suppression.

Are you saying that the GOP are not working to suppress minority voting?

Florida 1940

omochain

Quote from: whitey on March 13, 2021, 03:07:15 PM
Quote from: omochain on March 13, 2021, 04:41:33 AM
Quote from: whitey on March 13, 2021, 03:05:36 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 13, 2021, 01:43:29 AM
Quote from: whitey on March 12, 2021, 10:32:33 PM
You said they sued after the election and after the votes had been cast

That is incorrect....they sued before the election

And based on what the PA Supreme Court ruled they were dead right to sue

"In its ruling, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court said that ballots could be counted if they were received by 5 p.m. Nov. 6, as long as they were mailed by Election Day, Nov. 3. It also said that ballots without a postmark would "be presumed to have been mailed by Election Day" unless there was strong evidence to the contrary."

You, yourself said that ballots received after the election should have a valid postmark

I said they "tried... to disqualify the votes " after the election.

Which is exactly what they did, despite the rules having already been approved.

And how many votes were in question over the postmark issue?

Was it the millions that Trump and Giuliani were suing left right and centre for weeks to get thrown out?

You'd be better off picking a better hill to die on than the GOP conduct in PA the election just past.

The standards the Republicans were arguing for before the election were identical to standards for mail in ballots that Democratic Secretaries of State had agreed upon in several other states.

What states and by which democratic Secretaries of State. And the context in which they were levied please?.

The Democrats brought a lawsuit arguing that ballots with non matching signatures, missing/illegible postmarks should be counted

Examples please

You yourself said the signatures should match and the postmark should be legible

BTW what logical conclusion show one come to when you are addressing someone with the handle Whitey.

Answer to your first question.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/absentee-and-mail-voting-policies-in-effect-for-the-2020-election.aspx

Answer to your second question regarding signatures. 2 groups who fronted the lawsuit are heavily affiliated with the Democratic Party. There would be 100% crossover in membership

https://apnews.com/article/pennsylvania-election-2020-pittsburgh-elections-presidential-elections-fc464c287c18823ff57fedc13facf7e5

The ruling regarding postmarks was issues in a response to a lawsuit taken by Democrats

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/19/922411176/supreme-court-rules-pennsylvania-can-count-ballots-received-after-election-day

My username has to do with the color of my hair

Do you really think that supports your conclusions?

J70

Quote from: whitey on March 15, 2021, 07:51:12 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 15, 2021, 06:49:50 PM

So instead of "finding the fraud", she would find "dishonesty" and instead of being a "national hero" she had "the most important job in the country right now" finding the fraud dishonesty.

That puts a very strikingly different tone on the story there whitey. ;D ::)

Funny how 100% of these mistakes fall one way isn't it?

And yes....big bloody difference between what was initially "reported" and what was actually said on the call.

Not surprised you're poo pooing it though, given you fell hook line and sinker for every debunked Democratic fraud allegation surrounding the 2016 election

There is zero difference. He used different words than what where reported, but the point and tone of the call were the same as reported, i.e. to pressure GA state officials to "find" non-existent fraud as part of his months-long anti-democratic campaign to "find" voter fraud and undermine public faith in the elections in all of those five states.

As for falling for "debunked" allegations, go ahead and point out where I have done so.

Unlike yourself, I don't engage in absolutism and certainty when it comes to this stuff. Most of our exchanges take the form of you posting some version of Dems/media-are-evil and my questioning your "interpretation".

J70

Quote from: Gmac on March 15, 2021, 07:46:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 15, 2021, 06:51:27 PM
Quote from: Gmac on March 15, 2021, 06:45:59 PM

bit late now that the loons have taken over the asylum.

Loons with high approval ratings. The country is liking what it is seeing so far. 8)
what policies are popular?

His handling of the COVID pandemic is getting high marks, astronomical, politically speaking, compared to his predecessor.

And the 1.9T package just passed is popular across the political spectrum, despite the newly rediscovered concern among the congressional GOP for spending.

I haven't seen polls yet, but I would expect that the mere change in tone is also popular, as well as things like starting to suspend Trump's assault on environmental issues.

sid waddell

Be interesting to see what sort of weasel words are used to protect white supremacism after this

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1372354134867861504

New: Texas man arrested outside VP Kamala Harris' official residence at the US Naval Observatory Wednesday was in possession of an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, 113 rounds of unregistered ammunition, and five 30 round magazines, according to DC police report.

J70

Quote from: sid waddell on March 18, 2021, 01:18:21 AM
Be interesting to see what sort of weasel words are used to protect white supremacism after this

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1372354134867861504

New: Texas man arrested outside VP Kamala Harris' official residence at the US Naval Observatory Wednesday was in possession of an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle, 113 rounds of unregistered ammunition, and five 30 round magazines, according to DC police report.

Another lad having a "bad day"?

J70

Will THIS be the final nail in the fraudulent, slanderous James O'Keefe/Project Veritas operation?

Or will Fox News and the rest of the right keep hyping his "sting" operations that continually turn out to be a pile of shit?

I'd forgotten about this PA postal worker "story" amidst the torrent of bullshit coming from Trump and the GOP over election "fraud".

https://www.businessinsider.com/postal-service-finds-no-evidence-project-veritas-mail-ballot-claims-2021-3

I guess you have to hand it to O'Keefe though. He must be swimming in cash and donations from his scams. Not everyone lasts a long as he does as a conman. As long as you're not one of the victims.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on March 19, 2021, 01:14:46 PM
Will THIS be the final nail in the fraudulent, slanderous James O'Keefe/Project Veritas operation?

Or will Fox News and the rest of the right keep hyping his "sting" operations that continually turn out to be a pile of shit?

I'd forgotten about this PA postal worker "story" amidst the torrent of bullshit coming from Trump and the GOP over election "fraud".

https://www.businessinsider.com/postal-service-finds-no-evidence-project-veritas-mail-ballot-claims-2021-3

I guess you have to hand it to O'Keefe though. He must be swimming in cash and donations from his scams. Not everyone lasts a long as he does as a conman. As long as you're not one of the victims.
Sid and Rudy could have teamed up and imagined a better conspiracy that this.  Though it appears the voices coming from inside the head is widely regarded as compelling evidence by most republicans.

"Hopkins  (the main witness) revised his claims, eventually stating that he had not heard a conversation about ballots at all — rather he saw the Postmaster and Supervisor having a discussion and assumed it was about fraudulent ballot backdating," the report says. "[Hopkins] acknowledged that he had no evidence of any backdated presidential ballots."

J70

Quote from: Main Street on March 19, 2021, 01:29:37 PM

Sid and Rudy could have teamed up and imagined a better conspiracy that this.  Though it appears the voices coming from inside the head is widely regarded as compelling evidence by most republicans.

"Hopkins  (the main witness) revised his claims, eventually stating that he had not heard a conversation about ballots at all — rather he saw the Postmaster and Supervisor having a discussion and assumed it was about fraudulent ballot backdating," the report says. "[Hopkins] acknowledged that he had no evidence of any backdated presidential ballots."

Most of the allegations, across the board, came from credulous, paranoid bullshit like this. "Oh, there's a van with out-of-state plates. Must be delivering fake votes!"

Its why they were laughed out of court over and over again, even while they kept spewing the bullshit to the media and their followers.

And even after all of that, Trump holds the entire party and movement in the palm of his hand.

History is not going to treat these people kindly.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: J70 on March 19, 2021, 01:46:33 PM

Most of the allegations, across the board, came from credulous, paranoid bullshit like this. "Oh, there's a van with out-of-state plates. Must be delivering fake votes!"

Its why they were laughed out of court over and over again, even while they kept spewing the bullshit to the media and their followers.

And even after all of that, Trump holds the entire party and movement in the palm of his hand.

Meh. They'll just rewrite the textbooks.

Gmac

must be the same vans that were kidnapping mail boxes
Joe calling Kamala president Harris again yesterday another gaffe I guess

J70

Quote from: Gmac on March 19, 2021, 02:21:48 PM

must be the same vans that were kidnapping mail boxes
Joe calling Kamala president Harris again yesterday another gaffe I guess

I guess I missed the mailbox kidnapping issue, whatever it was.

Its amazing the exposure something gets when the President at the time, an entire party and the entire right wing media are pushing credulous, half-baked nonsense.

On Biden, yes, exactly the same sort of gaffe he's been churning out for decades. But if you find comfort in defining him as a drooling vegetable, work away.