The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: gallsman on October 27, 2020, 06:34:21 PM
Quote from: five points on October 27, 2020, 05:04:52 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 27, 2020, 04:54:43 PM

When you establish the rules about how that chair can be filled, and then proceed to fill it in direct contravention of your own rules, then yes, it is.

Which "rules" exactly?

The ones that Lindsey Graham proudly announced could be turned against him if he went against him.

Take it up with him when there are 4 complete constitutionally appointed new liberal justices on the bench next year. He'll be out of a job, so he'll have plenty of time to chat with you.

If only.  In my 25 years here, the Democrats have never shown themselves to have the kind of "f**k you, you can't stop us, so we're doing it" approach that McConnell, and before him Gingrich, exemplify. 

Gmac

Just saw a little bit of Tucker's interview with tony bobulinski , seems joe is compromised very badly .

omochain

Quote from: Gmac on October 28, 2020, 01:11:34 AM
Just saw a little bit of Tucker's interview with tony bobulinski , seems joe is compromised very badly .

Nobody cares... not even Ted Cruz.
You need to step out of your Tucker bubble and go for a walk on the Baylands. The air might be a bit iffy at the moment but the view is still good and it can be a perspective altering experience.

J70

Compromised how, exactly?

Is Biden up to his ears in debt to who knows who like Trump is?

I'm more concerned about the White House official statement that they've "ended" the COVID pandemic, right as cases are sky rocketing again. Talk about gaslighting!

five points

Quote from: gallsman on October 27, 2020, 06:34:21 PM
Quote from: five points on October 27, 2020, 05:04:52 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 27, 2020, 04:54:43 PM

When you establish the rules about how that chair can be filled, and then proceed to fill it in direct contravention of your own rules, then yes, it is.

Which "rules" exactly?

The ones that Lindsey Graham proudly announced could be turned against him if he went against him.

You're mixing up rules (the law of the land) with operational procedures that can be varied according to the will of the Senate.

gallsman

Rossfan

I presume "gmac" hasn't condemned the right terrorists who were about to launch a "putsch" in Michican (or Minnesota?)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

I did a mock-up of the election result, leaning slightly to the Red in the very close battleground states to take some account of those who will vote Trump but are too embarrassed to admit it to a pollster, as follows.

Trump: Arizona (11), Florida (29), Georgia (16), Iowa (6), North Carolina (15), Ohio (18), Wisconsin (10)

Biden: Michigan (16), Minnesota (10), Nevada (6), New Hampshire (4)

I appreciate many of those are up for grabs and I haven't been overly scientific (and there might be other tights ones too), but they're my calls at the moment, with Wisconsin being the hardest call of the above for me.

I haven't called Pennsylvania (20), and the above leaves the score at Trump 260, Biden 258 - with the 20 from PA to decide who hits the magic 270 figure ..... (and even if I switched Wisconsin blue, my guesses would still leave Trump winning if he took PA).

I think Biden will definitely win the "popular vote" by more than Hillary did, but that won't guarantee winning the election.

J70

Quote from: Hound on October 28, 2020, 11:29:22 AM
I did a mock-up of the election result, leaning slightly to the Red in the very close battleground states to take some account of those who will vote Trump but are too embarrassed to admit it to a pollster, as follows.

Trump: Arizona (11), Florida (29), Georgia (16), Iowa (6), North Carolina (15), Ohio (18), Wisconsin (10)

Biden: Michigan (16), Minnesota (10), Nevada (6), New Hampshire (4)

I appreciate many of those are up for grabs and I haven't been overly scientific (and there might be other tights ones too), but they're my calls at the moment, with Wisconsin being the hardest call of the above for me.

I haven't called Pennsylvania (20), and the above leaves the score at Trump 260, Biden 258 - with the 20 from PA to decide who hits the magic 270 figure ..... (and even if I switched Wisconsin blue, my guesses would still leave Trump winning if he took PA).

I think Biden will definitely win the "popular vote" by more than Hillary did, but that won't guarantee winning the election.

Yep, it very easily could come down to waiting a few days for PA, while Trump cries foul and fraud and incites trouble.

If only the PA GOP hadn't insisted on blocking the state from even processing, never mind counting, mail-in ballots before election day.

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2020, 11:03:54 AM
I presume "gmac" hasn't condemned the right terrorists who were about to launch a "putsch" in Michican (or Minnesota?)

They were actually anarchists weren't they? (Which explains why the news channels soon dropped the story.)

J70

Quote from: five points on October 28, 2020, 11:50:22 AM

They were actually anarchists weren't they? (Which explains why the news channels soon dropped the story.)

So these militias as anarchists now?

Someone should tell Trump. He was equivocating yesterday in Michigan on whether the kidnapping plot was a bad thing or not.

(And I'm not sure what news you watch. This story has been all over the news in the states. However, given that we are counting the days until a historically important election and, well, you know, Trump and his multiple head-scratching stories per week, and also COVID, its never going to stay top of the headlines).

five points

Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2020, 12:51:06 PM

Yes, apparently. https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/whitmer-conspiracy-allegations-tied-boogaloo-movement-n1242670

(And I'm not sure what news you watch. This story has been all over the news in the states. However, given that we are counting the days until a historically important election and, well, you know, Trump and his multiple head-scratching stories per week, and also COVID, its never going to stay top of the headlines).
Thanks for agreeing with me.

J70

Quote from: five points on October 28, 2020, 12:59:08 PM

Yes, apparently. https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/whitmer-conspiracy-allegations-tied-boogaloo-movement-n1242670

You might want to read that piece again.

Looks like a description of bog-standard right wing, anti-government, ammosexual, militia guys to me.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Come on now.

The point I was clearly making was that the news was NOT being suppressed or "dropped". Instead, we're living through a very active and quickly refreshing news cycle. What is headline news today will be page 5 tomorrow, unless seriously ground-shaking.

There is also the not-insignificant fact that any other president fomenting and equivocating on threats to the life of a governor would be massive, shocking news.

With Trump, its merely the latest in a litany of outrageous and thuggish statements and at this point elicits no more than a collective shrug, because tomorrow he'll have said something else.

five points

Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2020, 01:10:37 PM

Looks like a description of bog-standard right wing, anti-government, ammosexual, militia guys to me.

You too. Especially these bits.

"In a social profile verified by date of birth, Croft wore a tricorn hat and a sweatshirt with the insignia of the Three Percenters, an armed anti-government movement. "

"In a YouTube video from May, Caserta claimed in a 30-minute diatribe that "the enemy is government." Caserta recorded the video in front of an anarchist's flag and a map of Michigan. He did not post on YouTube again until three weeks ago. In that video, Caserta does not speak and simply loads and poses with a long gun while wearing a shirt that says "F--- The Government.""

Then check the definition of "anarchist".

J70

Quote from: five points on October 28, 2020, 01:23:20 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2020, 01:10:37 PM

You too. Especially these bits.

"In a social profile verified by date of birth, Croft wore a tricorn hat and a sweatshirt with the insignia of the Three Percenters, an armed anti-government movement. "

"In a YouTube video from May, Caserta claimed in a 30-minute diatribe that "the enemy is government." Caserta recorded the video in front of an anarchist's flag and a map of Michigan. He did not post on YouTube again until three weeks ago. In that video, Caserta does not speak and simply loads and poses with a long gun while wearing a shirt that says "F--- The Government.""

Then check the definition of "anarchist".

Are you're trying to make some sort of point based on the anarchist flag?  How about the trihorn hat and the 3 percenters shirt? Their ties to the so-called boogaloo boys?

These guys are stereotypical American, armed to the teeth, right-wing, anti-government militia morons.