The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/29/trump-account-retweets-anti-muslim-videos-of-british-far-right-leader

Trump retweeted a handful of anti-Muslim videos posted by the deputy leader of a British far-right group, prompting a rare condemnation of the US president by Theresa May whose official spokesperson called Trump's actions wrong.

One of the videos Trump highlighted to his 43.6 million Twitter followers from the feed of Jaydan Fransen of Britain First purported to show a group of Muslims pushing a boy off a roof. Another claimed to show a Muslim destroying a statue of the Virgin Mary, and a third claimed to show a Muslim immigrant hitting a Dutch boy on crutches.

The credibility of the last video was immediately undermined when the the Dutch embassy in the US said the perpetrator of the violent act in the video was born and raised in the Netherlands.

Theresa May's spokesman said on Wednesday: "Britain First seeks to divide communities by their use of hateful narratives that peddle lies and stoke tensions. They cause anxiety to law-abiding people. British people overwhelmingly reject the prejudiced rhetoric of the far right which is the antithesis of the values this country represents, decency, tolerance and respect."

By retweeting Britain First, Trump offends a decency he cannot understand | Brendan Cox

Read more

The US president retweeted the videos without comment, before turning to more familiar territory, suggesting a boycott of "Fake News CNN", celebrating the level of the stock market, and commenting on the firing of NBC anchor Matt Lauer.

Trump's decision to share the tweets was labelled "abhorrent, dangerous and a threat to our country" by the Labour party leader, Jeremy Corbyn, while several other members of parliament said his planned state visit should be cancelled.

Fransen, 31, is deputy leader of Britain First, a minor anti-Islam party with an estimated 1,000 followers that has had no electoral success. Fransen lost her deposit when she stood for parliament in a 2014 byelection, receiving just 56 votes.

She has been charged with using threatening or abusive language following an appearance at a far-right rally in Belfast this summer. She is due to appear at a Belfast court next month.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2017, 01:18:55 AM
Quote from: whitey on November 30, 2017, 01:15:34 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 29, 2017, 10:59:24 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 29, 2017, 07:54:13 PM
Quote from: Declan on November 29, 2017, 05:12:35 PM
Matt Lauer lost his job.
Charlie Rose lost his job.
Mark Halperin lost his job.
Glenn Thrush lost his job.
Billy Bush lost his job.
Harvey Weinstein lost his job.
Kevin Spacey lost his job.
But in politics...
Conyers still in Congress.
Moore still running.
Trump still President.

You forgot Al Franken......and not unrelated, you forget that millions of Democrats were out CHEERING  Bill Clinton on the campaign trail last year

In that spirit, I guess YOU forgot the likes of Ailes and O'Reilly and those other boys from Fox News. ;)

But at least the Dems are reckoning with their Clinton issues since things have come to a head. The GOP base (and ultimately the party) are still behind Trump and Moore...

I didn't forget anything........I'm not the one posting up a one sided list!

And for the record, I have never defended Fox News or O Reilly......never once!

How is the list one-sided?

The only two who would be considered conservative are Trump and Moore? So they forgot Franken. They also forgot O'Reilly and the other three or four lads from Fox News.

And did someone not already say that the list came from a Republican??

2 of the 3 of the people who didnt lose their jobs are Republicans.

She included the senile almost 90year old Democratic congressman from a safe blue seat who will probably never face any consequences due to health issues. If he resigns, theres no impact on the balance of power.....his constituency vote 80% + for the Democrat in the last 5 General Elections

Franken is by far the bigger and more relevant story here (by a factor of about 10) because of the National ramifications, yet she conveniently left him out of the equation

And as for her being a Republican......Google her and see what Republicans think of her.  I think she is a much a Republican as Roy Moore is a Christian

seafoid

Donald J. Facepalm

@realDonaldTrump

.@Theresa_May, don't focus on me, focus on the destructive Radical Islamic Terrorism that is taking place within the United Kingdom. We are doing just fine!

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 30, 2017, 03:10:21 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2017, 01:18:55 AM
Quote from: whitey on November 30, 2017, 01:15:34 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 29, 2017, 10:59:24 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 29, 2017, 07:54:13 PM
Quote from: Declan on November 29, 2017, 05:12:35 PM
Matt Lauer lost his job.
Charlie Rose lost his job.
Mark Halperin lost his job.
Glenn Thrush lost his job.
Billy Bush lost his job.
Harvey Weinstein lost his job.
Kevin Spacey lost his job.
But in politics...
Conyers still in Congress.
Moore still running.
Trump still President.

You forgot Al Franken......and not unrelated, you forget that millions of Democrats were out CHEERING  Bill Clinton on the campaign trail last year

In that spirit, I guess YOU forgot the likes of Ailes and O'Reilly and those other boys from Fox News. ;)

But at least the Dems are reckoning with their Clinton issues since things have come to a head. The GOP base (and ultimately the party) are still behind Trump and Moore...

I didn't forget anything........I'm not the one posting up a one sided list!

And for the record, I have never defended Fox News or O Reilly......never once!

How is the list one-sided?

The only two who would be considered conservative are Trump and Moore? So they forgot Franken. They also forgot O'Reilly and the other three or four lads from Fox News.

And did someone not already say that the list came from a Republican??

2 of the 3 of the people who didnt lose their jobs are Republicans.

She included the senile almost 90year old Democratic congressman from a safe blue seat who will probably never face any consequences due to health issues. If he resigns, theres no impact on the balance of power.....his constituency vote 80% + for the Democrat in the last 5 General Elections

Franken is by far the bigger and more relevant story here (by a factor of about 10) because of the National ramifications, yet she conveniently left him out of the equation

And as for her being a Republican......Google her and see what Republicans think of her.  I think she is a much a Republican as Roy Moore is a Christian

Come on, it's not like Franken is yesterday's news and no one knows about him. You're looking for bias where none exists.

Anyway, what would Republicans think of YOU, whitey? You don't like Trump or Moore either. Does that make you a bleeding heart liberal?

J70

Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2017, 08:06:30 AM
Donald J. Facepalm

@realDonaldTrump

.@Theresa_May, don't focus on me, focus on the destructive Radical Islamic Terrorism that is taking place within the United Kingdom. We are doing just fine!

Just...can't.... let...any... criticism...legitimate or not... pass!

You can just picture him fuming away, stewing over May making him (in his mind) look bad.

Gabriel_Hurl

That was his 2nd attempt at it as well. He tagged the wrong Theresa May first time around.

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2017, 11:13:15 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 30, 2017, 08:06:30 AM
Donald J. Facepalm

@realDonaldTrump

Just...can't.... let...any... criticism...legitimate or not... pass!

You can just picture him fuming away, stewing over May making him (in his mind) look bad.
In Feb the UK speaker of Paliment called him racist and said no state visit. The Tory press savaged him.  Now it is very interesting

TabClear

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 30, 2017, 11:48:18 AM
That was his 2nd attempt at it as well. He tagged the wrong Theresa May first time around.

Christ, lets hope he can operate the nuke codes better than twitter.

The man is a clown. Its like J70 said, he cannot let anything go, always has to have the last word and logic or any semblance of sense is completely irrelevant . There are a few posters on this site that are the same. If we could get The Don to register on here and point him in their direction with a  bit of luck both parties could talk shite to each other and be too busy to annoy anyone else!.

whitey

See Franken (Stein) has a new accuser......now up to five

If Moore is unfit (and I think he is) to serve.....so is Franken

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 30, 2017, 03:26:58 PM

Yep, he should resign, although unless I've heard wrong, at least Franken's were adults and not school kids.

What's with the reference to Trump's slur BTW?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2017, 03:36:56 PM

Yep, he should resign, although unless I've heard wrong, at least Franken's were adults and not school kids.

I didnt know Trump had copyrighted the term Frankenstein.....in fact I never even heard him say it, but I wouldnt be surprised if he did

And for the recors, Elizabeth Warren was called Fauxchontas or Pocahontas for years in Boston, long before Trump started using it. It started in 2011 when she and Scott Brown were competing for the MA Senate seat

Puckoon

Quote from: whitey on November 30, 2017, 04:04:28 PM

I didnt know Trump had copyrighted the term Frankenstein.....in fact I never even heard him say it, but I wouldnt be surprised if he did

And for the recors, Elizabeth Warren was called Fauxchontas or Pocahontas for years in Boston, long before Trump started using it. It started in 2011 when she and Scott Brown were competing for the MA Senate seat

What's the relevance here? He's the President of the United States of America! He threw it out in front of a native American group receiving an honor.

J70

Just a bit strange, that's all, given your stated contempt for Trump and his breath taking hypocrisy in going after Franken like that when he himself stands accused of far worse and is on the record time and again over his attitude towards women.

J70

Pelosi is calling on Conyers to resign. That should be that for him.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2017, 04:25:08 PM

Just a bit strange, that's all, given your stated contempt for Trump and his breath taking hypocrisy in going after Franken like that when he himself stands accused of far worse and is on the record time and again over his attitude towards women.

As I said.....I had no idea Trump had ever used that word. I pretty much turn off and tune out whenever I hear him speak.

Dont be trying to tie me to Trump because.  You are giving him way too much credit if you think he came up with that on his own.....hes never had an original thought in his life