The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 28, 2017, 03:07:13 PM
Forbes link does work on 3 of my devices and I have pulled 2 quotes off it for good measure

if you want to deny they are creating false outrage about a non issue....that's on you

Politicians exaggerate and grandstand and push buttons. Where have I ever denied that?

And I read the link that did work. It wasn't exactly supportive of your apparent dismissal of the reality that women earn less for the same work.

whitey

Whatever....it's a big issue for Democrats and it's all based on lies and bullshit and victimhood

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 28, 2017, 03:33:29 PM
Whatever....it's a big issue for Democrats and it's all based on lies and bullshit and victimhood

Whatever indeed. All you've done is addressed the inaccuracy of the 77cent figure, not the fact that the disparity exists.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on July 28, 2017, 03:36:37 PM

Whatever indeed. All you've done is addressed the inaccuracy of the 77cent figure, not the fact that the disparity exists.

According to research I have read the disparity exists due to the fact that men are more likely to be engaged in dangerous jobs like police and fire which pay a premium due to danger.

Secondly spend longer in the workforce because women take time off to rear kids

There are logical and structural reasons for the difference....it has very little if anything to do with inequality or misogyny, but that's the card Dems play.

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 28, 2017, 03:48:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 28, 2017, 03:36:37 PM

According to research I have read the disparity exists due to the fact that men are more likely to be engaged in dangerous jobs like police and fire which pay a premium due to danger.

Secondly spend longer in the workforce because women take time off to rear kids

There are logical and structural reasons for the difference....it has very little if anything to do with inequality or misogyny, but that's the card Dems play.

Dude, I'm not arguing the overall difference. Of course some jobs dominated by men, by necessity, carry larger pay. But the very link YOU posted ends in the following (there are other stats throughout the piece).

Why is there any difference at all?

THE BIG PICTURE

Just before Obama took office in 2009, the Department of Labor released a study because, as a deputy assistant secretary explained it, "The raw wage gap continues to be used in misleading ways to advance public policy agendas without fully explaining the reasons behind the gap." The study by CONSAD Research Corp. took into account women being more likely to work part-time for lower pay, leave the labor force for children or elder care, and choose work that is "family friendly" with fuller benefit packages over higher pay. The study found that, when factoring in those variables, the gap narrows to between 93 cents and 95 cents on the dollar.

"The raw wage gap should not be used as the basis to justify corrective action," said Charles James, the deputy assistant secretary. "Indeed, there may be nothing to correct."

Still, a study by the American Association of University Women controlled for a number of factors, including college major, occupation, age, geographical region and hours worked, and found a persistent 7 percent wage gap between men and women a year after graduating college.

The report explored discrimination and reluctance among women to ask for raises as reasons for the remaining gap, though those factors are hard to measure.

J70

Fox and Friends apparently were puzzled and not very happy to discover how health insurance is supposed to work.

While showing images of Democrats celebrating, the genius that is Steve Doocy comes out with "congratulations, the healthy people are now paying for the sick people". :o ;D

whitey

I'm sure good looking people get paid more than ugly people

Tall people get paid more than short people

Thin people get paid more than fat people.

There will probably never be 100% equilibrium in gender pay even though there should be. 

My problem is that the Democrats have conned people into thinking that the difference is $0.23 not $0.05-$0.07 (through lies and bullshit) and that Republicans are either to blame or at the very least are complicit.

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 28, 2017, 06:43:31 PM
I'm sure good looking people get paid more than ugly people

Tall people get paid more than short people

Thin people get paid more than fat people.

There will probably never be 100% equilibrium in gender pay even though there should be. 

My problem is that the Democrats have conned people into thinking that the difference is $0.23 not $0.05-$0.07 (through lies and bullshit) and that Republicans are either to blame or at the very least are complicit.

5 cents or 7 cents is still substantial enough, and it is, after all, an overall figure. The disparity is much larger in some fields, as your link outlined. Some of that is unconnected to discrimination, no doubt. That it should exist at all in a female-dominated field such as nursing is ridiculous though.

But honestly, I'll take your concerns about political exaggeration and scaremongering more seriously if and when you come on here expressing disgust at the multitude of areas where Republicans are guilty of outright lies, never mind exaggeration. Democrats may have misused the stats for effect in this case, but that pales in comparison to the overall level of bullshit the GOP campaigns and governs on.

whitey

So you can't just admit that Democrats lie and make shit up just like Republicans do?  (I admit Republicans do it)

You can't acknowledge that the senior Democrats who lead the party, are enermous beneficiaries of the very policies they claim cause and perpetuate inequality. Yet when push comes to shove they go ahead and object to that wind farm or take advantage of that tax loophole in exactly the same way the Republicans do.

HiMucker

Quote from: sid waddell on July 28, 2017, 01:35:05 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 27, 2017, 11:02:10 PM
This new Comms guy sounds level headed hahahahahaha

An actual WH employee gave this interview to a journalist

http://www.newyorker.com/news/ryan-lizza/anthony-scaramucci-called-me-to-unload-about-white-house-leakers-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

Quote"I'm not Steve Bannon, I'm not trying to suck my own c**k," he said, speaking of Trump's chief strategist. "I'm not trying to build my own brand off the f**king strength of the President. I'm here to serve the country." (Bannon declined to comment.)

Quote"Reince is a f**king paranoid schizophrenic, a paranoiac. 'Oh, Bill Shine is coming in. Let me leak the f**king thing and see if I can c**k-block these people the way I c**k-blocked Scaramucci for six months.'"

"They're trying to resist me, but it's not going to work. I've done nothing wrong on my financial disclosures, so they're going to have to go f**k themselves."

You can clearly get good coke in Washington.

Scaramucci is trying to literally sniff out the truth.
;D ;D cracker

J70

Quote from: whitey on July 28, 2017, 08:16:46 PM
So you can't just admit that Democrats lie and make shit up just like Republicans do?  (I admit Republicans do it)

You can't acknowledge that the senior Democrats who lead the party, are enermous beneficiaries of the very policies they claim cause and perpetuate inequality. Yet when push comes to shove they go ahead and object to that wind farm or take advantage of that tax loophole in exactly the same way the Republicans do.

You're presenting two different issues.

1. I absolutely concede that the Dems will exaggerate and, I'm sure, from time to time, make shit up. They're politicians. I have never claimed otherwise.

2. We've been over the hypocrisy thing already. And I don't really give a bollocks. Policies matter. I care more that the Republican Party, on the whole, wants to cast gays back into the closet than I do that some "devout" GOP politician is screwing around with a male prostitute on the sly. Individuals can be idiots and hypocrites. What the party wants to do is what matters. I'd prefer that a hypocritical Kennedy was eased aside in favour of a less entitled person, but the party policy is more important.

I've already said this several times.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on July 28, 2017, 09:05:18 PM

1. I absolutely concede that the Dems will exaggerate and, I'm sure, from time to time, make shit up. They're politicians. I have never claimed otherwise.

2. We've been over the hypocrisy thing already. And I don't really give a bollocks. Policies matter. I care more that the Republican Party, on the whole, wants to cast gays back into the closet than I do that some "devout" GOP politician is screwing around with a male prostitute on the sly. Individuals can be idiots and hypocrites. What the party wants to do is what matters. I'd prefer that a hypocritical Kennedy was eased aside in favour of a less entitled person, but the party policy is more important.

So if your candidate has low or no integrity (such as Ted Kennedy or Trump) do you not care as long as they promote causes you support?

gallsman

Oraisteach

omochain

Quote from: whitey on July 28, 2017, 10:02:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 28, 2017, 09:05:18 PM

So if your candidate has low or no integrity (such as Ted Kennedy or Trump) do you not care as long as they promote causes you support?

If Tony Fearon made the world a better place  I could live with it.