The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

It was not thought through correctly at all.

Instead of saying "from now all applications for green cards/visas from these certain countries will not be given consideration for 120 days" he just banned everyone from those countries so people who have been granted green cards and visas were fucked when they landed at the airport and still will be as far as I can see?

It's a total clusterfuck and the first of many... but hey let's give him a chance  ::)

heganboy

QuoteSince the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, no one has been killed in the United States in a terrorist attack by anyone who emigrated from or whose parents emigrated from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, the seven countries targeted in the order's 120-day visa ban, according to Charles Kurzman, a sociology professor at the University of North Carolina
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Declan

Powerful New York Times Magazine front cover

omaghjoe

Quote from: heganboy on January 30, 2017, 04:36:38 PM
QuoteSince the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, no one has been killed in the United States in a terrorist attack by anyone who emigrated from or whose parents emigrated from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, the seven countries targeted in the order's 120-day visa ban, according to Charles Kurzman, a sociology professor at the University of North Carolina

Your signature has never rang more true heganboy

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on January 30, 2017, 04:17:30 PM

Instead of saying "from now all applications for green cards/visas from these certain countries will not be given consideration for 120 days" he just banned everyone from those countries so people who have been granted green cards and visas were fucked when they landed at the airport and still will be as far as I can see?

It's a total clusterfuck and the first of many... but hey let's give him a chance  ::)
Why do you think he is a serial bankrupt?
He doesn't think anything through

stew

Quote from: screenexile on January 30, 2017, 04:17:30 PM

I have that useless f**ker Obama a chance, everyone deserves a chance, I would even have given that tur d Clinton a chance, but not you, I don't think itcwoukd have mattered who won the Republican primary, many on here would have given mine of them a chance.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

seafoid

http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2017/01/we-real-conservatives-warned-you-trump-will-not-get-better-heres-what-you-can-do/134967/?oref=defenseone_today_nl

We have yet to see what happens when Trump tries to use the Internal Revenue Service or the Federal Bureau of Investigation to destroy his opponents. He thinks he has succeeded in bullying companies, and he has no compunction about bullying individuals, including those with infinitely less power than himself. His advisers are already calling for journalists critical of the administration to be fired: Expect more efforts at personal retribution. He has demonstrated that he intends to govern by executive orders that will replace the laws passed by the people's representatives.
In the end, however, he will fail. He will fail because however shrewd his tactics are, his strategy is terrible—The New York Times, the CIA, Mexican Americans, and all the others he has attacked are not going away. With every act he makes new enemies for himself and strengthens their commitment; he has his followers, but he gains no new friends. He will fail because he cannot corrupt the courts, and because even the most timid senator sooner or later will say "enough." He will fail most of all because at the end of the day most Americans, including most of those who voted for him, are decent people who have no desire to live in an American version of Tayyip Erdogan's Turkey, or Viktor Orban's Hungary, or Vladimir Putin's Russia.
There was nothing unanticipated in this first disturbing week of the Trump administration. It will not get better. Americans should therefore steel themselves, and hold their representatives to account. Those in a position to take a stand should do so, and those who are not should lay the groundwork for a better day. There is nothing great about the America that Trump thinks he is going to make; but in the end, it is the greatness of America that will stop him.

foxcommander

Is it too late to nominate these two for this years Oscars for best lead actor/actress? What performances! The crocodile tears flowing touching the hearts of millions, a bit like that scene in Jerry Maguire.

"As the Statue of Liberty holds her torch of welcome high, there are tears in her eyes as she sees how low this Administration has stooped in its callousness toward mothers and children escaping war-torn Syria," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi,

"Tears are running down the cheeks of the Statue of Liberty tonight as a grand tradition of America, welcoming immigrants, that has existed since America was founded has been stomped upon," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer,

Bravo! Take a bow.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

sid waddell

Quote from: foxcommander on January 30, 2017, 11:00:41 PM
Is it too late to nominate these two for this years Oscars for best lead actor/actress? What performances! The crocodile tears flowing touching the hearts of millions, a bit like that scene in Jerry Maguire.

"As the Statue of Liberty holds her torch of welcome high, there are tears in her eyes as she sees how low this Administration has stooped in its callousness toward mothers and children escaping war-torn Syria," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi,

"Tears are running down the cheeks of the Statue of Liberty tonight as a grand tradition of America, welcoming immigrants, that has existed since America was founded has been stomped upon," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer,

Bravo! Take a bow.

Is it too late to nominate yourself, Stew and Whitey for the Golden Raspberry Award for "worst portrayal of a knowledgeable poster about US politics"?

whitey

Keep it up.....you are right and anyone who has a different opinion to you  is wrong (and a fascist/rascist/islamophobe/homophobe/minsogynst to boot)

The American people have woken up and seen through the bullshit the press and the Democrats have been spoon feeding them for years.  The Democrats haven't been at such a low ebb politically since the 1920s.

I actually think a healthy and robust opposition is good for democracy, but as long as Democrats keep focusing on important issues such as transgender bathrooms and the Cleveland Indians mascot I don't hold out too much hope.

Just started a new job so I won't have as much time for posting. 

Be well and keep safe everyone

sid waddell

This is a very, very disturbing article.

The bit at the end of it is only opinion, but Andrew Sullivan (who is a writer I really respect) has consistently maintained Trump wants to run the US like Putin runs Russia, most specifically for his own personal enrichment, and the pieces are starting to fall into place.

This is real fascism and a real threat to democracy. It's one of the greatest con jobs of all time.

https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5#.fll4kgamn

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on January 30, 2017, 11:37:47 PM
The American people have woken up and

...and about 3 million more people voted for Hillary than voted for Trump. Don't give me your "the people have spoken and they love Trump" BS. This is a coup d'etat and you know it.

Eamonnca1

Bravo! Take a bow.

I have seriously come to the conclusion that you don't actually believe any of the fascist bile that flows forth from your mouth. You've just adopted this uber-nationalist persona online to wind people up, haven't you?

sid waddell

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 31, 2017, 12:31:56 AM

Bravo! Take a bow.

I have seriously come to the conclusion that you don't actually believe any of the fascist bile that flows forth from your mouth. You've just adopted this uber-nationalist persona online to wind people up, haven't you?

I bet they thought that about the chap who shot six people dead in a mosque in Quebec last night.

He was a right-wing internet troll too.

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 31, 2017, 12:29:58 AM
Quote from: whitey on January 30, 2017, 11:37:47 PM
The American people have woken up and

...and about 3 million more people voted for Hillary than voted for Trump. Don't give me your "the people have spoken and they love Trump" BS. This is a coup d'etat and you know it.

Your right....Democrats are going to sweep the decks at the next election.  They have way more support than Republicans have.