The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

In fairness, I think that's why he's saying it leans towards Democrats. Because the big states tend to be Blue states, you could potentially get to 270 by just winning California (55), New York (29), Pennsylvania (20), Florida (29), Illinois (20) and a scatter of the new england states. and a couple of other out west.

That's why even in the years Democrats win, the electoral college map looks very red always.  The Republicans have to cover a lot more of the country, as well as trying to take those infamous swing states. If she concentrated just in New England, across new York Pennsylvania and into the northern states of Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio, and then just Florida and California, she'd probably have won.

seafoid

Quote from: Hardy on November 10, 2016, 01:11:21 PM
The thing is, Clinton didn't even talk the talk effectively. It was going to be hard enough to overcome her credibility deficit anyway, but when she seemed to run whole campaign in reaction to Trump she damaged her chances of overcoming it. I don't remember any articulation of a shining vision, of the America she stood for, or of how people's lives would change. Trump set the agenda and she spent her time saying how awful he is.
The Dem elites believed their own bullshit. Obama is also responsible.  The economy does not work for ordinary people with no college education. Trump will betray them as well. Brexit voters will be shafted too.

omagh_gael

Ouch, this clip from the Washington correspondants dinner a number of years back doesn't look too hot for Obama in today's world...

https://youtu.be/k8TwRmX6zs4

The Donald would have a wry smile watching this!

seafoid

I think the electoral college was designed to prevent populists taking over. The Dem superdelegates definitely were. U S elites never trust the people

whitey

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 10, 2016, 02:59:20 PM
In fairness, I think that's why he's saying it leans towards Democrats. Because the big states tend to be Blue states, you could potentially get to 270 by just winning California (55), New York (29), Pennsylvania (20), Florida (29), Illinois (20) and a scatter of the new england states. and a couple of other out west.

That's why even in the years Democrats win, the electoral college map looks very red always.  The Republicans have to cover a lot more of the country, as well as trying to take those infamous swing states. If she concentrated just in New England, across new York Pennsylvania and into the northern states of Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio, and then just Florida and California, she'd probably have won.

But the GOP don't have to cover the vast swathe of rural states. Their support is a given. Similarly, you don't see a Dem nominee campaign much in NYC or LA or SF or Boston, fundraising aside, because those places are locked up for them. We saw very few tv ads in NYC. In Ohio, your phone doesn't stop ringing, and there are literally ads on every three minutes.

The fact is, with Democrats concentrated in big cities and congressional seats gerrymandered to f**k, Dem representation is depressed while GOP respresentation is inflated.

We've already mentioned 2000 and this year's popular vote in the presidential elections. In 2012, a million more people voted for Dems than GOP in house races, yet the GOP held on to a significant majority in the House.

whitey

Dems had a huge (self acknowledged) advantage to begin with and are now crying foul on the electoral college system

www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/the-fix/wp/2016/05/02/republicans-have-a-massive-electoral-map-problem-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-donald-trump/

J70

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 10, 2016, 03:07:44 PM
Ouch, this clip from the Washington correspondants dinner a number of years back doesn't look too hot for Obama in today's world...

Nothing he said wasn't true. That Trump is a joke and a buffoon does not change because of the election. Except of course that the joke is now also on the US people and the world.

Don't forget this was right when Trump was on his birth cert "quest".

seafoid

It was like Kildare in the 98 final. All Clinton had to do was turn up. There's Sean Brady from the New York Times. What do you think Sean? 5 points Hillary. All the money that was on them. And she beat Kerry.

The other thing is the hate machine . The rich don't mind the losers voting for Trump. They will not tolerate them voting for someone who will help them. Welcome to St. Trumpez

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 10, 2016, 03:12:46 PM
Dems had a huge (self acknowledged) advantage to begin with and are now crying foul on the electoral college system

www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/the-fix/wp/2016/05/02/republicans-have-a-massive-electoral-map-problem-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-donald-trump/

That the white population is decreasing doesn't change that rural voters in low population states have a higher weighted vote.

BTW, who is crying foul? Discussing is not complaining.

omagh_gael

Quote from: J70 on November 10, 2016, 03:14:20 PM

Nothing he said wasn't true. That Trump is a joke and a buffoon does not change because of the election. Except of course that the joke is now also on the US people and the world.

Completely agree. I meant that Trump (and his followers) will feel a smug sense of satisfaction looking back on this today, which is hard to stomach.

J70

Quote from: omagh_gael on November 10, 2016, 03:21:11 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 10, 2016, 03:14:20 PM

Completely agree. I meant that Trump (and his followers) will feel a smug sense of satisfaction looking back on this today, which is hard to stomach.

Let them. Doesn't change the facts!

I'm sure he will try to rub Obama's face in it, but Obama shouldn't feel embarrassed or take it personally that Trump will roll back some of his work. That's just simply the democratic process.

seafoid

A lot of Trump material esp online was fact free. Alt right bullshit. You can't run a campaign of fear and hate on facts.
It takes lies to get people to hate brown people. Brexit was exactly the same. Divide and conquer. Trump voters will be so shafted. Afterwards they will be told it is their own fault. Never trust a junkie.

thebuzz

Quote from: stew on November 10, 2016, 11:18:46 AM
Quote from: Far East on November 10, 2016, 07:06:20 AM
Quote from: stew on November 10, 2016, 03:57:46 AM
Whitelash is being blamed On Trump winning the presidency, yes folks some in black America are blaming angr white Americans on Trump being elected, they forget that white America got Obama elected and by the way, ALL Americans should embrace the decision the country made.

I am sick and tired of liberals not owing results, I am tired of their apathy toward the indigenous people of the Americas, I am appalled at their lack,of morality having clinton run representing them, I am sickened by Obamacare and it's skyrocketing costs and I am tired of the lack of respect people have for the office of President, thanks Billy.

Never had you down as advocate of the plight of the native Americans! Please inform us of your activism in this area. I assume you're in North Dakota protesting the destruction of sacred land?  And all this time I thought you were a bitter, right wing plastic Paddy!  I apologise....

You should apologise 2 posts! all this time )

I am bitter toward Clinton, I was, she is politically finished and I have let that go.

As for my leaning 2 posts, I am a social liberal and fiscal conservative and I would love it if both left and right moved to the centre.

President Trump, wow!

Bye bye 2 posts!

I don't have many more posts than Far East and I'm on here back and forward for 7 or 8 years.

There aren't many of 'the indigenous people of the Americas' about at the moment as Far Post is implying so why not admit that this particular phrase doesn't fit instead of being so insulting?

Esmarelda