Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on November 09, 2016, 05:55:13 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2016, 05:31:10 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 09, 2016, 05:22:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 09, 2016, 04:31:14 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 09, 2016, 03:37:28 PM
And to think Irish politicians thought about banning Donald Trump from visiting earlier this year

That was the UK. And it was because of a petition to ban him.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/18/europe/uk-parliament-debates-trump-ban/

It was Richard Boyd Barrett who was making noises about a ban.
Whats also worse is that Fine Gael and Fianna Fail publically backed Hillary's campaign and snubbed Trump. Not a good policy.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/tnaiste-tds-to-fly-to-us-for-democrats-convention-34908788.html

Show us where 'Irish politicians thought about banning Donald Trump'.

One clown making 'noises' is hardly the same thing.

Here: http://fusion.net/story/255400/ireland-trump-ban-petition/

Enda said he'd meet him but give him an earful about his stances. Like Enda can take someone down with his quick wit...

Did you read your own link?

"..Though they will be discussed by the committee, it seems unlikely that they will result in any action...."

The bold above doesn't con anywhere near proving your claim that 'Irish politicians thought about banning Donald Trump from visiting'.

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: an léirmheastóir on November 09, 2016, 05:56:15 PM
So I don't pretend to know a lot about American politics especially now after the last 18 months goings on but I can't understand why so many people state side are horrified at the thought of trump getting the president gig and equally horrified at the thought of Hillary getting it. There were 12 republican candidates at the start and 2 democrats so obviously the candidate with the highest approval rating within each camp got chosen. I guess my question is there were 5 candidates on the ballot paper yesterday why if so many people were disillusioned with either of the big two did they not pick one of the other 3 as a protest vote. They still had their other candidates to vote for in the senate and I guess that's the more important vote. Maybe it's not possible to vote for say a democratic senator and say the lady who stood for the greens in the presidential race. Someone enlighten me please 🙈

Yes this is a good point.

Even after Trump winning there are those still arguing about how bad Hillary was. That is not a defence. It is a weak cover to avoid admitting their support for a misogynistic, islamophobic, Mexican-hating narcissist.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on November 09, 2016, 05:55:48 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 09, 2016, 12:43:29 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 09, 2016, 12:16:17 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 09, 2016, 11:49:21 AM
While no fan of Trump, the left-wing, pc media over here made little attempt to be objective.
There wasn't much delving into why people were supporting Trump, apart from them being uneducated, rednecks and racists.

If you looked a little bit, which you obviously didn't, there was a ton of coverage about what was motivating voters across the US, and none more so than about what was happening in places like Ohio, Michigan and West Virginia than anywhere else.
Incorrect. The majority of British and Irish media coverage painted Trump supporters in an unflattering light.
Far more vox pops with nut jobs at rallies than discussions with real voters.
Stuff like rust belt and blue collar were  namechecked but rarely quantified.
There's a huge difference between objective fact and bias.

It's an objective fact that Trump, along with a significant proportion of his support, are racist, xenophobic, misogynist, certainly those three, and then whatever you're having yourself.

Reporting objective fact is not bias, it's reporting objective fact.

Trump. Brexiteers and the whole populist far-right movement worldwide pride themselves on "telling it like it is" (their words).

Yet when it is genuinely "told as it is", they're the first to complain, hiding behind a sort of straw man version of the political correctness that they claim to hate to try and protect themselves from these objective facts.

Those that delight in giving offence in such a proudly "politically incorrect" manner are often the very same people that take offence most easily.

Other non-racial issues such as trade which motivated Trump's support were comprehensively covered. This is also objective fact. In an utter shit show of a campaign, light on policy discussion, this was the policy issue that was discussed and covered by the media the most.
It''s not howya Sean Brady Ff/FG. It's more like NI in the 50s. Putting people in their place. Using gender and race and religion as dog whistles.  Jewish journalists got vile alt right abuse. Women were threatened en masse with rape. 

GJL

Serious amount of drama queens around the world. He won. The sky did not fall in. Get over it and get on with your lives. You never know, he may even do a reasonable job. As Clinton said herself, he deserves a chance to lead.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: GJL on November 09, 2016, 07:22:35 PM
Serious amount of drama queens around the world. He won. The sky did not fall in. Get over it and get on with your lives. You never know, he may even do a reasonable job. As Clinton said herself, he deserves a chance to lead.
+1. It won't make a damn bit of difference to my life.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

muppet

He doesn't get the chance to pull the sky down until after the Inauguration on the 20th January next.

Then the fun starts.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 09, 2016, 07:52:52 PM
+1. It won't make a damn bit of difference to my life.

Oh yes it will!
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2016, 01:57:46 PM
The US economy is banjaxed. The people didn't just reject the Dems.  They also rejected the RNC.
Trump was all loved up with Reince Priebus but I don't think the relationship is very solid.
It is very complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pHaBstZQ40

There are no easy answers. The notion of a billionaire draining a swamp of corruption is very American as well.
It's a long way from Atticus Finch.

Dollar is fucked, sterling is fucked, you must be creaming it!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2016, 07:58:12 PM
The US economy is banjaxed. The people didn't just reject the Dems.  They also rejected the RNC.
Trump was all loved up with Reince Priebus but I don't think the relationship is very solid.
It is very complicated.

There are no easy answers. The notion of a billionaire draining a swamp of corruption is very American as well.

Asians love the dollar, MR so it might take a while.
But sterling is banjaxed
God save the Queen

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

Quote from: heganboy on November 09, 2016, 08:17:29 PM
Warren 2020

I'd say Trump would like to be a Putin style open-ended leader.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2016, 08:14:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2016, 07:58:12 PM
It is very complicated.

Asians love the dollar, MR so it might take a while.
But sterling is banjaxed
God save the Queen

Saved?? No need she seems well sorted
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

Regarding the Suwalki gap... Russia are 'trying to annex' the Balkan countries (an easy explanation for dummies like myself) How has Trump got anything to do with this??
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

gallsman