The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Just some disenfranchised Americans desperate for change because the country hasn't been working for them ;) ;)

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2016, 07:17:59 AM
This is very f**king scary for Jewish people. Because when the political language is reduced to draining swamps it's a dog whistle. And there has been vile antiSemitism on social media.
I wouldn't be surprised if Trump was assassinated. Nobody knows what happened Kennedy.

the people voted but the people don't really matter in the big picture of senior American hurling. It's not like the system was ever about them at any time in the last 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOuf69G7AQU

A fairly likely scenario I think.

Milltown Row2

So how will this effect you personally??

Financially, environmentally, and whatever else?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2016, 08:57:31 AM
So how will this effect you personally??

Financially, environmentally, and whatever else?

1) Serious questions posed as regards US multinationals FDI in Dublin.

2) Have a look at the markets, combined with Brexit there is a hell of a lot of uncertainty ahead.

3) Any friends or family living as illegals in the US? Might be time to get the spare room sorted.

4) The man carries the potential of a diplomatic crisis every time he opens his mouth and voices his ridiculous opinions.

5) Serious kick in the groin for anyone who respects women.

Is it really a question that any sane individual needs answering? Then again, sanity isn't something that goes together well with Trump supporters and the lunatic right.

Farrandeelin

Any chance that he won't be as radical as his soundbites?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 09, 2016, 09:35:46 AM
Any chance that he won't be as radical as his soundbites?
The Brexit crowd changed their tune as soon as the vote was known

I was just thinking about the image of the US we get from telly and movies all the time. The glamour. The potential.
I wanted to be one of these lads if I didn't make it as a Galway hurler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5-bD372v5s

Even now it's the same shite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbIuNqj_ueQ

The UK is similar. Loads of flash. But there's a world they never show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2eGmsfbyHs
And that world voted

AZOffaly

That implies the voters regretting what they've done Declan. I actually think there is a proper support for Trump and his populist messages. Whether they regret it when he doesn't do some of the stuff he said he will (hopefully), is another thing.

I think the one thing this election has shown, if Brexit and the previous UK election didn't, is that pollsters and political experts haven't any more of a clue than the rest of us. I was listening to the coverage most of the night on FOX radio, CNN radio, NPR radio and BBC World Service. They were *ALL* calling Pennsylvania for Clinton, even as the night was going against her. I went to sleep when I heard Wisconsin was called for Trump by AP, because I guessed at that stage that she'd lose one of the states that she now needed to run the table on.

But in general I think most of the prognosticators got egg on their faces because they refused to believe that Trumps populism would hit a chord with what is still the biggest voting demographic in the US. All the media coverage and stupid celebrity tweets don't change the fact that Trump was saying things that like it or not struck a chord with a lot of people. The fact he also said other things which would appear to make him unfit to be leader of a Weightwatchers class, never mind president of the US should have ruled him out of the race, but because he was against such a deeply unpopular opponent herself, they didn't hurt him as much as they should have, except with people who probably weren't going to vote for him anyway.

The media need to go away and re-evaluate how they cover elections and what they thought they knew. We need to basically ignore opinion polls until they prove themselves worthy of belief again.

One of the exit polls which struck a chord with me was the voting population one. At the time it said that 70% of voters where white, 12% of voters were black and 11% of voters were Hispanic. That immediately says to me that while going after the minority vote *is* important, it should not be done at the expense of the majority vote if you want to win an election. Trump fished in a bigger lake, and he caught the more fish.

Canalman

May in the long term be a good thing for democracy around the world. The working and struggling classes have by and large spoken in the Uk and now America.

Governments will now have to pay more attention to that section of the population very often disregarded and sad to say very often sneered at ( including some posters on this forum). Absolutely nothing wrong with people who left school early to earn a living/ work a trade etc  having a say in democracy .

Victory yesterday for the people who like their coffee to come from a kettle / coffee pot as opposed to coming  frothy from a machine.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Canalman on November 09, 2016, 10:13:00 AM
May in the long term be a good thing for democracy around the world. The working and struggling classes have by and large spoken in the Uk and now America.

Governments will now have to pay more attention to that section of the population very often disregarded and sad to say very often sneered at ( including some posters on this forum). Absolutely nothing wrong with people who left school early to earn a living/ work a trade etc  having a say in democracy .

Victory yesterday for the people who like their coffee to come from a kettle / coffee pot as opposed to coming  frothy from a machine.

The problem is that the people who will really do work for the poor in society weren't selected in the primaries (Sanders), or are attacked by the media in an attempt to not let them anywhere near power (Corbyn, SF, Podemos in Spain etc). 

Keyser soze

This surely must be the most surreal statement on this thread.

AZOffaly

I had that thought too. I think this is a reality check. The silent majority is still the majority and you have to cater for their concerns, not just the popular causes, to win big elections.