The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: screenexile on August 03, 2016, 04:49:42 PM
A lot of reports today citing a possible Trump withdrawal. . . is it just rumour or is there an actual chance of this?

I'm presuming it's a withdrawal as Republican nominee to run as an independent and not a total withdrawal. That would be awesome Hillary can sit on the sofa until November chilling out with a big fat cigar  ;)

Regardless of the possible Republican implosion, I think all civilised society (not just the US) needs a credible 3rd option. The polarisation created by these two candidate elections gets worse and worse every time, despite the relatively minor differences between most of their representatives (Trump being the greatest exception of my lifetime). One of these years there will be a major conflict growing out of a US election.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

The GOP should put up a cute cat picture as the candidate.

seafoid

A lot of reports today citing a possible Trump withdrawal. . . is it just rumour or is there an actual chance of this?

I'm presuming it's a withdrawal as Republican nominee to run as an independent and not a total withdrawal. That would be awesome Hillary can sit on the sofa until November chilling out with a big fat cigar  ;)
it's on nbcnews.com
Sounds like the wheels are coming off.
Even if they did get him to pull out the GOP is trína chéile.  The voters do not support the policies.

seafoid

Nbcnews.com has a report saying the Muslim ban is pie in the sky.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on August 03, 2016, 02:10:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 03, 2016, 11:43:16 AM
Joe Scarborough discussing with former Bush NSA Director Michael Hayden whether there are enough safeguards in place to stop a pissed off Trump launching nukes. Hayden says there aren't as the system is built for a quick response. He acknowledges Trump is far too erratic, but he still won't back Hillary!

Have such concerns ever been raised before about a presidential candidate?
trump has kids and grandkids of his own do u really think he would start a nuclear war ?
He's talking about banning Muslims entering the U.S. if they can't be vetted properly
Stopping millions of illegal immigrants coming over the border from Mexico  and putting some pride back in the military which Obama has deballed and turned into a social experiment.
Why would he start a nuclear war ? And the media talk about trumps scaremongering .

Hey, I'm just reporting what two Republicans were discussing on the news this morning! ;D

J70

Joe Scarborough discussing with former Bush NSA Director Michael Hayden whether there are enough safeguards in place to stop a pissed off Trump launching nukes. Hayden says there aren't as the system is built for a quick response. He acknowledges Trump is far too erratic, but he still won't back Hillary!

trump has kids and grandkids of his own do u really think he would start a nuclear war ?

I didn't say it. Fellow Republicans are worrying out loud about it! Allegedly, Trump asked three times in some briefing why the US has nukes if they can't use them! Apparently doesn't get the whole deterrent thing!

He's talking about banning Muslims entering the U.S. if they can't be vetted properly
Stopping millions of illegal immigrants coming over the border from Mexico  and putting some pride back in the military which Obama has deballed and turned into a social experiment.

How has Obama deballed the military? What social experiment?

This whole Muslim thing arose over ISIS fighters from Syria posing as refugees. Do you how long it takes Muslim refugees from Syria to be vetted right now? Do you think the Obama administration is just letting these people stroll in through Terminal 4 in JFK?

Are you seriously supporting the idea of a 2000 mile wall along the Mexican border?

Why would he start a nuclear war ? And the media talk about trumps scaremongering .

The issue is Trump's temperament. All through his campaign, again and again and again, he has demonstrated that he doesn't have what it takes to be president. He is obsessed with every little thing that the press and the Clinton campaign and its surrogates and fellow Republicans say about him. Even today, when he was supposed to be focussing on Hillary, he just couldn't help himself and started on about all these perceived slights again, even going all the way back to the Megyn Kelly blood thing again, disingenuously saying he was referring to her nose. It's got to the point where you start to forget what last week's mess was all about, never mind a few months ago! And he really pissed off his fellow GOPers with his refusal to endorse Paul Ryan, instead using Ryan's exact words from a few months ago when he was hesitating on endorsing Trump. Talk about petty! Instead of brushing it off and moving on, he has to hit back each and every time. He looks like a complete narcissist who is apparently afraid that if he doesn't come down hard on each and every criticism, even if legitimate, that he will be seen as weak. Like some teenage bully. He's all balls and no thought or consideration.
You can't have a man as president who will spend all day, every day, obsessing on each and every thing being said about him and then launching twitter tirades (or worse, using the executive branch). We already had a, for the time, something similar, in Nixon, and look how that ended. You think Trump would put up with what Obama gets from the GOP and Fox News and right wing talk radio and internet? Or what Bush got from the Dems and the liberal press, once they found their balls after being compliant sheep in the run up to the Iraq war?

And that is the reason Joe Scarborough was discussing the nuke issue. I don't know if he is really fearful about nukes per se, but it and his temperament are legitimate questions for discussion given what we've seen, especially in the last week.

And all this is before you even begin to look at his policies and their lack of detail. Or the conspiracy theories... this week he's even claiming that the election may be stolen from him in November.

J70

He won't withdraw. His ego couldn't take it.

What will happen is that a large proportion of the GOP candidates will go their own way in this election in the hope of winning their own races. Its already started.

Because no matter what latest intervention Giuliani and Christie et al. try to pull together, Trump just can't help himself. HE might behave for a few days, but the next freakout is just around the corner.

I was worried a few months back that he would move to the center and start "acting" like a normal candidate. I'm not anymore. We're less than 100 days out. The pressure from the Dem side is only going to increase, and he will not be able to resist flying off the handle, time and again.

Whatever you think about Hillary, her "how can we trust a man, who can be baited with a tweet, with our nuclear codes" succinctly summed him up.

seafoid

The young Trump had a mentor called Roy Cohn. His advice was always attack, always do it in force and never let a personal slight go unanswered. That works in business and in entertainment . Maybe. But not in politics.

stew

Quote from: J70 on August 04, 2016, 02:20:40 AM

I didn't say it. Fellow Republicans are worrying out loud about it! Allegedly, Trump asked three times in some briefing why the US has nukes if they can't use them! Apparently doesn't get the whole deterrent thing!

How has Obama deballed the military? What social experiment?

This whole Muslim thing arose over ISIS fighters from Syria posing as refugees. Do you how long it takes Muslim refugees from Syria to be vetted right now? Do you think the Obama administration is just letting these people stroll in through Terminal 4 in JFK?

Are you seriously supporting the idea of a 2000 mile wall along the Mexican border?

The issue is Trump's temperament. All through his campaign, again and again and again, he has demonstrated that he doesn't have what it takes to be president. He is obsessed with every little thing that the press and the Clinton campaign and its surrogates and fellow Republicans say about him. Even today, when he was supposed to be focussing on Hillary, he just couldn't help himself and started on about all these perceived slights again, even going all the way back to the Megyn Kelly blood thing again, disingenuously saying he was referring to her nose. It's got to the point where you start to forget what last week's mess was all about, never mind a few months ago! And he really pissed off his fellow GOPers with his refusal to endorse Paul Ryan, instead using Ryan's exact words from a few months ago when he was hesitating on endorsing Trump. Talk about petty! Instead of brushing it off and moving on, he has to hit back each and every time. He looks like a complete narcissist who is apparently afraid that if he doesn't come down hard on each and every criticism, even if legitimate, that he will be seen as weak. Like some teenage bully. He's all balls and no thought or consideration.
You can't have a man as president who will spend all day, every day, obsessing on each and every thing being said about him and then launching twitter tirades (or worse, using the executive branch). We already had a, for the time, something similar, in Nixon, and look how that ended. You think Trump would put up with what Obama gets from the GOP and Fox News and right wing talk radio and internet? Or what Bush got from the Dems and the liberal press, once they found their balls after being compliant sheep in the run up to the Iraq war?

And that is the reason Joe Scarborough was discussing the nuke issue. I don't know if he is really fearful about nukes per se, but it and his temperament are legitimate questions for discussion given what we've seen, especially in the last week.

And all this is before you even begin to look at his policies and their lack of detail. Or the conspiracy theories... this week he's even claiming that the election may be stolen from him in November.

Allegedly Hillary is a lesbian and once had a former suitor
executed and is allegedly a crack addict.

Allegedly is a word people hide behind, moral cowards in other words.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

That's it? ;D

You're upset over my use of the word "allegedly" to explain why members of Trump's own party were discussing his potential responsibility for the US nuclear arsenal?

At least I and they're acknowledging it's an allegation stew. You come on here all the time parroting right wing conspiracy theories about the Clintons, calling them murderers and so on.

screenexile

Hillary now 10 pts up on Trump... is there a decent chance the Dems could win back the house?

stew

Quote from: J70 on August 04, 2016, 11:18:10 AM
That's it? ;D

You're upset over my use of the word "allegedly" to explain why members of Trump's own party were discussing his potential responsibility for the US nuclear arsenal?

At least I and they're acknowledging it's an allegation stew. You come on here all the time parroting right wing conspiracy theories about the Clintons, calling them murderers and so on.

The Republican party is not his party, he is not a Republican and you well know it.

It is a moot point, he is ten points behind in the latest poll, he has no chance and I would be delighted by that if it were practically anyone else but killory becoming President.

J70

Quote from: stew on August 04, 2016, 01:45:04 PM
That's it? ;D

The Republican party is not his party, he is not a Republican and you well know it.

It is a moot point, he is ten points behind in the latest poll, he has no chance and I would be delighted by that if it were practically anyone else but killory becoming President.

Give it up stew. Whatever he was in the past when he bought favours from both parties, he is the GOP nominee, and the logical conclusion to the path they have been on for decades i.e. using immigrants, minorities, gays, guns, supposed freeloaders etc. etc. to rile up working class and religious whites. The only difference is that Trump is not afraid to say all this shit out loud, and  has thrown in some economic populism too to seal the deal. The rich business/low tax/small government types are horrified, but Trump or someone like him was inevitable.

seafoid

The GOP is falling apart. The voters don't buy the low tax/ cut entitlements shtick. If they did Jeb would be the candidate

I think they accept Trump will lose but if it is a whitewash he will take House and Senate seats with him especially if there is discord between what he is saying and what candidates are saying.

stew

Quote from: J70 on August 04, 2016, 01:55:27 PM
Quote from: stew on August 04, 2016, 01:45:04 PM
That's it? ;D

Give it up stew. Whatever he was in the past when he bought favours from both parties, he is the GOP nominee, and the logical conclusion to the path they have been on for decades i.e. using immigrants, minorities, gays, guns, supposed freeloaders etc. etc. to rile up working class and religious whites. The only difference is that Trump is not afraid to say all this shit out loud, and  has thrown in some economic populism too to seal the deal. The rich business/low tax/small government types are horrified, but Trump or someone like him was inevitable.

So you mentioned this inevitable trump esque figure when exactly???