The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Trump's GOP Primary win as mad as it was is not an indication of how the country will vote... given the fact that Obama won the Whitehouse by smashing up Romney with the women & ethnic vote it has to be said that Trump's chances of winning the Whitehouse are quite remote.

It would be some kind of miraculous turnaround for it to come to pass!

muppet

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  21h21 hours ago
Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism, I don't want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  17h17 hours ago
What has happened in Orlando is just the beginning. Our leadership is weak and ineffective. I called it and asked for the ban. Must be tough

The killer was born in New York. Trump's ban wouldn't have done a thing to protect anyone. Just a few simple words can refute his boasts. But yet his crass attempt at the exploitation of the deaths of 50 Americans will be seen as a good thing by his supporters.

Besides being the ultimate narcissist he is extremely dangerous. I don't know if he is actually as ignorant on the issues as he pretends to be, but looking at Facebook and Twitter there seems to be no end of people unable to think for themselves following him.
MWWSI 2017

heganboy

Quote from: stew on June 13, 2016, 11:54:21 AM

What have you to say about Clinton's past, compared to that  Trump is a choirboy.
Stew,
Which part of the Clinton history do you wish to discuss?

T

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 13, 2016, 03:02:08 PM
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  21h21 hours ago
Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism, I don't want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump  17h17 hours ago
What has happened in Orlando is just the beginning. Our leadership is weak and ineffective. I called it and asked for the ban. Must be tough

The killer was born in New York. Trump's ban wouldn't have done a thing to protect anyone. Just a few simple words can refute his boasts. But yet his crass attempt at the exploitation of the deaths of 50 Americans will be seen as a good thing by his supporters.

Besides being the ultimate narcissist he is extremely dangerous. I don't know if he is actually as ignorant on the issues as he pretends to be, but looking at Facebook and Twitter there seems to be no end of people unable to think for themselves following him.
Adlai Stevenson was told he'd have the thinking people of the US on his side v Eisenhower "Yes, but I need a majority"

J70

Quote from: heganboy on June 13, 2016, 03:07:11 PM

What have you to say about Clinton's past, compared to that  Trump is a choirboy.
Stew,

T

Well, at least Trump had no one (that we know of) murdered!  ::)

johnneycool

Quote from: J70 on June 13, 2016, 03:25:02 PM

Stew,

T

Yet!

NAG1

Stew,

T

Who did Hilary have murdered? I must have missed this on the news

screenexile

Quote from: NAG1 on June 13, 2016, 03:44:41 PM

Stew,

T

Ah jaysus don't be opening that can of worms again . . .

dec

Stew,

T

You obviously don't read the right wing conspiracy loon websites.

NAG1

Quote from: dec on June 13, 2016, 03:54:17 PM

Stew,

T

You obviously don't read the right wing conspiracy loon websites.

Yeah for two very good reasons - right wing and conspiracy

Crazy what some people will actually believe

J70

Stew,

T

You haven't heard of Vince Foster?!

Don't worry, you will! Trump has already said it was all very suspect. Stew has brought in up a few times here too. It's probably why he calls her "Killery"!

Just one of many cloak and dagger conspiracy theories which will be rejuvenated by Trump to stir up a bit of anger and resentment among the knuckle-dragging element of the GOP.

heganboy

How many investigations do you want?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Oraisteach

Well, the yuge orang-utan has apparently rescinded the Washington Post's press credentials, a further sign that he is a threat to free speech.  I am so disheartened by the droves of followers his neo-Fascist stance attracts, and by his words following the Orlando massacre.

Rossfan

Similarities with the late Herr Hitler are worrying
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Elizabeth Drew is one of the best
http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2016/06/09/trump-hidden-psychology-election-crisis/

It's by now clear that the presidential election of 2016 is something larger than and apart from just another quadrennial contest for the highest office; it's a national crisis. The crisis will last as long as there's a possibility that someone totally unsuited for that office could win it.

It should have been in the case of Richard Nixon, but before he ran for president again in 1968 (having lost in 1960, and also having been defeated for governor of California in 1962) he managed to convince various journalists that there was a "new Nixon." It was only much later—too late—that we could see that Nixon's psycho-political flaws went very deep; that the combination of his resentments and unscrupulousness, not to mention his attraction to the bottle, would take this country into alarming international and domestic crises. The problem with Nixon was that what he'd shown the public was only the surface of deeper issues—to the point of such abuse of power that this country's constitutional system was at stake. The outcome was less certain than it seems in retrospect.
A big difference between Nixon and Trump is that Trump's flaws—his impulsiveness, his ignorance, his lack of understanding of the important effects of what he says—are right out there before us while Nixon kept his hidden until we discovered them on the White House tapes. Thus, after months of encouraging violence in his rallies, when violence occurs outside of them, even if caused by his opponents, Trump can't see that he has any responsibility for it. Much of Trump's behavior is like that of the schoolyard boy who feels he must punch back when he's been criticized. His cruel mocking of a reporter's disability wasn't something a grownup does. Trump doesn't have mature relationships with women: he views them as objects. His marriages are those of someone who needs a beauty on his arm in a display of his virility rather than an equal partner who can challenge him. (Compare his choice of wives with those of Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.) 

I've talked with medical people, including psychiatrists, about Trump. They all use a somewhat different term: that Trump has a "narcissistic personality disorder," which is a problem several degrees greater than mere narcissism. As opposed to being simply self-centered and pleased with himself, the person with the narcissistic personality disorder has an outsized need for approval, and can become seriously upset if he doesn't get his way. This person, the medical experts tell me, tends to be very immature and has a great compulsion to hit back.

Trump just doesn't appear to have become a fully-formed adult. He is unable to deal in nuance or seem to understand how much of life, and certainly governing, involves compromise. He wants his way and when he doesn't get it the result is a temper tantrum of some sort. The Freudians would say that Trump is all id, the id that's never been brought to heel. Among Trump's other worrisome traits is that he shows no inclination to have a rational discussion of differences; that if someone disagrees with him publicly he attacks. How can such a person deal with Congress, not to mention foreign countries

Trump's verbal assaults on Judge Gonzalo P. Curiel, whom he charged was unable to give him a fair trial because he's "of Mexican heritage" (though the judge was born and raised in Indiana to Mexican parents) and, as Trump repeatedly explained, as if he had to, "I'm going to build a wall," sent the Republican leaders and many of their troops into panic mode.
While Mitt Romney won only 27 percent of the Hispanic vote in 2012, recent polls showed Trump winning just 10 or 12 percent.
Paul Ryan was the most pathetic case of a a Republican politician trying to maintain a moral position in regard to Trump's racist assault on the judge, and failing. After the House speaker became the lone holdout among Republican leaders from supporting Trump, he wrote an op-ed in his local Wisconsin newspaper on June 2 saying he'll vote for him.

It took the direct Lindsey Graham, who'd already made it clear that he didn't find Trump a tolerable nominee, to put it to his party colleagues for rationalizing their continuing support for Trump: he called Trump's comments about Judge Curiel "the most un-American thing from a politician since Joseph McCarthy." Graham urged Republicans to abandon Trump: "If anybody was looking for an off-ramp, this is probably it," Graham said, adding, "There'll come a time when the love of country will trump hatred of Hillary."
The Bush family's turning their back on Trump could be less a matter of principle than of lingering anger for things Trump said about them during the campaign—blaming George W. Bush for allowing the September 11 attacks to happen and assailing the invasion of Iraq, while describing Jeb as "low energy"; the Bushes are world-class resenters.

The real test is whether there are any circumstances under which Republican leaders in Congress will finally stand up to Trump, renounce him as their party's standard bearer even if they can't cancel his nomination. This could mean risking that their party loses the election and their majorities in the House and the Senate. This is a length to which the congressional leaders Ryan, Mitch McConnell, and some others who've endorsed Trump or waffled—not opposing but not endorsing—have thus far been unwilling to go.
Clinton's aides settled on the following lines of attack on Trump: "He is a business fraud who has cheated working people for his own gain, and his ideas, temperament and moves to marginalize people by race, gender and creed make him simply unacceptable as commander in chief."