The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: five points on January 12, 2021, 02:39:35 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 01:41:20 PM
Quote from: five points on January 12, 2021, 01:25:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 01:17:32 PM
How is any of that, including Biden giving the eulogy for a long time Senate colleague, relevant to the GOP's current status as the party of the confederacy?

Because your claim to that effect is bogus.

How?

Because the GOP is clearly not the party of the Confederacy.

That's not clear at all, especially since the Trump years began.

What is clear is that there are no confederate flags at Biden events, no tiki torches or Auschwitz sweatshirts, no rabble rousing about "erasing history" by renaming a school or base or relocating a statue.

J70

Quote from: whitey on January 12, 2021, 02:43:22 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on January 12, 2021, 02:38:55 PM
A slight deviation from the topic at hand and I am sure it has been answered but can someone remind me why we use to see a confederate flag at cork games?

The "Rebel" County

Confederates were also known as Rebels

And a good dollop of either ignorance or indifference on the meaning of the flag too.

Of course that goes for a lot more than Cork supporters.

Dukes of Hazard, Lynyrd Skynryd, Tom Petty even used it as his stage backdrop during an 80s tour...

J70

Quote from: five points on January 12, 2021, 02:44:22 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on January 12, 2021, 01:57:35 PM

Specifically on Biden, he didn't endorse the racist views of Thurmond, who, remember, left the Dems for the GOP the minute LBJ signed the civil rights act in 1964. The Senate was a different place back then, where politicians of all stripes built relationships even where they were ideologically bitterly opposed. People can be personally close, even where they may have serious disagreements philosophically. Look at the late US Supreme Court justices, RBG and Antonin Scalia. About as diametrically opposed politically and philosophically as you could imagine, yet personally extremely close, to the extent that they spent New Year's Eves together for decades.

See the thing with lads like "five points" is they "debate" from an obviously bad faith position

If a Democrat (or somebody on the broad left) is friends with a Republican (or somebody on the broad right), or says something nice about them, that to "five points" and his like is something to be jumped on in a cynical manner

If a Democrat personally dislikes Republicans because the Democrat cannot separate the Republican as a person from their hateful beliefs, the likes of "five points" also tries to seize on that

So nothing is good enough for "five points" - damned if you do,  damned if you don't

Basically "five points", like pretty much all right-wingers these days (because right-wing politics has descended into such a shitshow) doesn't really have any sort of constructive world view whatsoever, cannot verbalise what they believe in in any positive sense whatsoever, and really has nothing only a Putinist ultra-cynicism where everything they say is about creating some sort of imagined "gotcha" against people they dislike

It's a really, really, sad, unhealthy mindspace to be in - and sadly that is right-wing ideology in a nutshell

Right-wing ideology has failed, so the only thing it has is to try and drag everything else down with it - its a form of nihilism

If a 21st century Republican Presidential candidate had delivered Thurmond's eulogy, you wouldn't be trying to explain away their friendship and you would most definitely be condemning that act as an endorsement of his racism.

And you're wasting your time insulting me. Nobody here has the first clue who I am anyway.

That may or may not be the case (Sid can speak for himself), but that doesn't invalidate the point with respect to Biden.

The motives of the person and content of the eulogy, as well as the stance of the person in their political career, would obviously be pertinent.

The Senate comity thing was real back then. Deal making, pork barrel politics, respect for the institution and its traditions. Whereas in this hyper-partisan age, they're basically not allowed to publicly show friendship and personal respect.

trailer

Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 03:39:56 PM
How is any of that, including Biden giving the eulogy for a long time Senate colleague, relevant to the GOP's current status as the party of the confederacy?

How?

What is clear is that there are no confederate flags at Biden events, no tiki torches or Auschwitz sweatshirts, no rabble rousing about "erasing history" by renaming a school or base or relocating a statue.

Those T-Shirts with Auschwitz on them and "Staff" on the back... like in the name of God. How anyone can align themselves with that is beyond me.
Getting into an argument over which party is the party of the confederacy is pure distraction tactics. I don't believe any true Democrat or indeed Republican can stand over the Confederacy and what it stood for. What that flag stands for now is white supremacy, slavery and torture of your fellow man. All right people reject it and reject what it stood for. It was of a different time. Last weeks events should be looked at through the prism of today and today only. If Republicans cannot see what happened was wrong and that it could lead to more then America is in an even worse place that I imagined.

Rossfan

A slight deviation from the topic at hand and I am sure it has been answered but can someone remind me why we use to see a confederate flag at cork games?

The "Rebel" County

Because it has a lot of red on it?
I seem to recall seeing a WW2 Japanese flag among them at one stage.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

How?

The Confederacy was founded and sustained by Democrats and opposed by Republicans. Nothing that has happened in the past decade or any decade can rewrite the history of a century and a half previously, and even the history of Strom Thurmond's era.

No wonder you and the left in general want to dump all the historical evidence in school names, statues etc.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 03:41:31 PM

The "Rebel" County

And a good dollop of either ignorance or indifference on the meaning of the flag too.

Dukes of Hazard, Lynyrd Skynryd, Tom Petty even used it as his stage backdrop during an 80s tour...
I'd hardly compare Cork rebel county supporters use of the flag  with that in the USA.
Context defines their usage of the flag not any agenda,  just as they used the flag of many countries with red white flags,
I see the Union flags outnumber the confed flag by 4-2.

Union flag ain't so hip looking to many people either.

J70

Quote from: five points on January 12, 2021, 04:18:34 PM

How?

The Confederacy was founded and sustained by Democrats and opposed by Republicans. Nothing that has happened in the past decade or any decade can rewrite the history of a century and a half previously, and even the history of Strom Thurmond's era.

No wonder you and the left in general want to dump all the historical evidence in school names, statues etc.

You really do like to cherry pick a tiny detail and base your whole argument upon that, ignoring all other context and relevant detail.

I wasn't around in 1860, nor was I around in 1960.

I wasn't a Democrat back then, nor do I have any ancestral or philosophical connection to the "lost cause" or the old south.

I'm a Democrat today because I am politically liberal, mainly on the grounds of environmental issues and equality/social justice issues, but also, having been raised in Ireland, having no problem with the idea of a social safety net and everyone being entitled to a level of cover from the state in terms of health, education and simple living. The Democrats are the party which best aligns with my beliefs and morals. Basically, I'm a tree-hugging weenie commie to the average GOPer.

I want to see the statues gone because the confederacy and the old south was an evil abomination which is not deserving of honour. I have never denied the abhorrent past of the Democratic Party, nor do I celebrate it. I condemn them utterly. My favourite presidents are Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt and FDR, two of whom were Republicans. If the Dems were still the party of the Dixicrats and Jim Crow, I would NOT be a member. You can cry away about the history of the Dems and the south. That ended more than 50 years ago. And its an object lesson in the evolution towards the better of a political organization.

The GOP, not so much... The GOP is the home of those who do NOT want to see the statues gone and the bases renamed. It is at their rallies and among their supporters that you see the flags, paraphernalia and racist rhetoric. It was THEY who courted and accommodated those conservative southern former Democrats and their counterparts from the rest of the country who do, for whatever reason, cherish the history of the confederacy and the Jim Crow south.

Fiscal conservatives and the likes may not particularly like sharing their party with them, but it doesn't change the fact that LBJ DID lose the south over civil rights and Nixon and Reagan bring that same south into the GOP. For those without very short memories, Ken Mehlman, former RNC chairman no less, apologized in front of the NAACP, for the southern strategy.

Gmac

Quote from: Main Street on January 12, 2021, 04:49:01 PM

The "Rebel" County

I'd hardly compare Cork rebel county supporters use of the flag  with that in the USA.
Context defines their usage of the flag not any agenda,  just as they used the flag of many countries with red white flags,

maybe they are relatives of Patrick cleburne.

Main Street

Quote from: Gmac on January 12, 2021, 04:55:04 PM

The "Rebel" County

There's a supporter donning a mexican sombrera in there, no doubt to recall the memory of  that famous rebel Emiliano Zapata.

Eamonnca1

That the RWNJs are still clinging to the old "Democrats were the racist party 60 years ago" defense is just hilarious.

five points

Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 04:53:42 PM
You really do like to cherry pick a tiny detail and base your whole argument upon that, ignoring all other context and relevant detail.

I wasn't a Democrat back then, nor do I have any ancestral or philosophical connection to the "lost cause" or the old south.

I'm a Democrat today because I am politically liberal
The GOP, not so much... The GOP is the home of those who do NOT want to see the statues gone and the bases renamed. It is at their rallies and among their supporters that you see the flags, paraphernalia and racist rhetoric. It was THEY who courted and accommodated those conservative southern former Democrats and their counterparts from the rest of the country who do, for whatever reason, cherish the history of the confederacy and the Jim Crow south.

The Confederacy and the Civil War it provoked was never a tiny detail.

Biden's eulogy for a Southern Democrat apologist for both the confederacy and Jim Crow, only 17 years ago, was nothing if not an attempt to court and accommodate the many who venerated that creep. Your criticism of the GOP for doing the same is empty.

whitey

Quote from: five points on January 12, 2021, 05:37:06 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 12, 2021, 04:53:42 PM

I'm a Democrat today because I am politically liberal

The Confederacy and the Civil War it provoked was never a tiny detail.

Biden's eulogy for a Southern Democrat apologist for both the confederacy and Jim Crow, only 17 years ago, was nothing if not an attempt to court and accommodate the many who venerated that creep. Your criticism of the GOP for doing the same is empty.

It's called selective outrage

Gmac

Quote from: Main Street on January 12, 2021, 05:20:02 PM
Quote from: Gmac on January 12, 2021, 04:55:04 PM

The "Rebel" County

There's a supporter donning a mexican sombrera in there, no doubt to recall the memory of  that famous rebel Emiliano Zapata.
pancho villa

bannside

Trump has brought nothing but disrepute to the office. Con man from start to finish and if 75m people dont see that then they get/got exactly what they deserve. Almost single handedly dragged the US into world contempt. Some achievement alright!