The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Looks like it's a done deal. Congratulations to Joe. He has already made overtures to those who didn't vote for him as one would expect

Maureen Dowd wrote a piece a few weeks ago about how it might be better for Joe if he didn't win the Senate. Her argument was that he'd be forced to go away to far left by the base, and then lose the house in 2022 I'll see if I can post it up

The polls were shocking bad but with record turn out that's not unexpected....that guy from Trafalgar was much closer than anyone

Delighted that Bloomberg didn't buy FL with his $100M in advertising

Glad to see Susan Collins hold her seat-I think the last 10 polls had her losing and she won without breaking a sweat in spite of massive outside spending against her  (as did McConnell and Graham)

Edit-it was Peggy Noonan who wrote the piece in the WSJ

"If Mr. Biden is an extremely lucky man he will win the presidency and his party will hold the House and lose the Senate. If the Democrats win all three they'll be a runaway train fueled by pent-up progressive demand. If the Democrats lose the Senate, Mr. Biden will have a handy excuse for his natural moderation: "You guys may want court packing, reparations and taxes on bovine flatulence but I've got to get it past Mitch McConnell." If the Democrats lose the Senate the Biden presidency will be more moderate, and more popular in a country whose nerves are shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

A Republican Senate will let Biden be Biden"

Captain Obvious

Kayleigh McEnany on Fox news now, the very definition of a blonde bimbo.

mouview

Amazing the parallels between Trumpism and his acolytes in the US and the fantasy of Brexitism in the UK.

If Republicans hold the Senate, does that mean they can green light any trade deals with Britain?

whitey

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 05, 2020, 12:23:33 AM

Georgetown , Oxford University and Harvard Law

She must have a few brain cells to rub together

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 04, 2020, 11:52:06 PM
Looks like it's a done deal. Congratulations to Joe. He has already made overtures to those who didn't vote for him as one would expect

Maureen Dowd wrote a piece a few weeks ago about how it might be better for Joe if he didn't win the Senate. Her argument was that he'd be forced to go away to far left by the base, and then lose the house in 2022 I'll see if I can post it up

The polls were shocking bad but with record turn out that's not unexpected....that guy from Trafalgar was much closer than anyone

Delighted that Bloomberg didn't buy FL with his $100M in advertising

Glad to see Susan Collins hold her seat-I think the last 10 polls had her losing and she won without breaking a sweat in spite of massive outside spending against her  (as did McConnell and Graham)

Edit-it was Peggy Noonan who wrote the piece in the WSJ

"If Mr. Biden is an extremely lucky man he will win the presidency and his party will hold the House and lose the Senate. If the Democrats win all three they'll be a runaway train fueled by pent-up progressive demand. If the Democrats lose the Senate, Mr. Biden will have a handy excuse for his natural moderation: "You guys may want court packing, reparations and taxes on bovine flatulence but I've got to get it past Mitch McConnell." If the Democrats lose the Senate the Biden presidency will be more moderate, and more popular in a country whose nerves are shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

A Republican Senate will let Biden be Biden"

Aside from my anxiety that Trump might still snatch it, I agree with a lot of that.

I'm not too down about the Senate, assuming Biden wins of course. All I give a f**k about really is that Trump is kicked out.

Hopefully Biden would be able to work with his old colleague McConnell on getting bipartisan stuff like the proverbial infrastructure up and running. A lot of the damage Trump has done can be turned around through the agencies.

And the House and Senate being offset might prevent a spiral of retaliatory partisan investigations bogging everything down.

A bit of moderation would do good all around after the past four years. Something like court packing would absolutely guarantee the loss of the House in '22. If the new GOP court goes crazy in the meantime, then see what options there are to run on legislative solutions.

screenexile

Quote from: mouview on November 05, 2020, 12:31:50 AM
Amazing the parallels between Trumpism and his acolytes in the US and the fantasy of Brexitism in the UK.

If Republicans hold the Senate, does that mean they can green light any trade deals with Britain?

Probably yeah but there would be a trade deal either way... also the protection of the GFaA would still be a thing and Biden could veto if he wasn't happy it's not being observed.

Watched McEnaney on Fox... it was a sad glimpse into the future. Literally 5 minutes worth of absolute bullshit spoken with an arrogance and authority that went unchallenged. You can see how uninformed people might believe the pretty girl on the TV with the big title who sounds like she knows what she's talking about.

These kind of pricks are showing up everywhere now it's only going to get worse!!

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on November 04, 2020, 10:17:12 PM
Georgia very much in play again for Biden. About 400k still to be counted, Trump's lead down to 68k.

The Atlanta counties have some votes to be counted and an lot more people there than some of the other counties. Some of the Atlanta counties are 80%+ for Biden, hence the he is slight favourite to win Georgia.

Is she related to Banty?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Quote from: armaghniac on November 05, 2020, 12:56:08 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 04, 2020, 10:17:12 PM
Georgia very much in play again for Biden. About 400k still to be counted, Trump's lead down to 68k.

The Atlanta counties have some votes to be counted and an lot more people there than some of the other counties. Some of the Atlanta counties are 80%+ for Biden, hence the he is slight favourite to win Georgia.

Is she related to Banty?

Oh aye sure she's a daughter of Pat's!!

I have to say Democrats have played this to perfection with just enough fraud to carry the Presidency but making sure they wouldn't get enough to take back the Senate!!

Senior hurling!

screenexile

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: screenexile on November 05, 2020, 12:45:54 AM
Quote from: mouview on November 05, 2020, 12:31:50 AM

Probably yeah but there would be a trade deal either way... also the protection of the GFaA would still be a thing and Biden could veto if he wasn’t happy it’s not being observed.

No.  Both senate and House of Representatives must agree on trade deals. So, unless the Reps take the House too, this isn't on.

armaghniac

Last night I went to bed when Biden moved out to 4/1. Tonight Trump is 7/1 and that'll do. The betting market odds for NV, AZ and PA are all 1/6 or thereabout for Biden and he is favourite, although less strongly, in Georgia. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jell 0 Biafra

I think this past 36 hours or so puts to bed the idea that bookies odds yield any better idea of what's going on than polls do.

gallsman

Morning all.

There are now armed Trump protestors outside an Arizona count centre. Isn't this simply wonderful? USA! USA! USA!

gallsman

Hannity is absolutely fuming. You love to see it.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: gallsman on November 05, 2020, 06:13:45 AM
Morning all.

There are now armed Trump protestors outside an Arizona count centre. Isn't this simply wonderful? USA! USA! USA!

Shouting "count all votes" or something like that. It must only be red votes that deserve counting.

And not Communist red.