Unionism's big opportunity to shed its religious bigotry

Started by T Fearon, March 11, 2009, 08:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: GweylTah on March 11, 2009, 10:44:27 AM
Quote from: Orior on March 11, 2009, 10:20:59 AM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on March 11, 2009, 09:31:21 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 11, 2009, 08:58:07 AM
The funeral of the murdered Police Officer Stephen Carroll takes place tomorrow Thursday at 12 noon after Requiem Mass in Banbridge. The big question is can the local Westminster MP and other senior unionists go against the grain and their Orange Order diktat,and enter a catholic church to honour this man?

Entirely up to themselves but I know of at least two Orange Order members who were happy to attend my wedding in a Catholic church and that wasn't yesterday or last week.  My view is to let the Carroll family and friends grieve in peace and not make a federal case out of who does or doesn't go to the funeral.

Isnt it true that they have to request permission from the grand master wizard or whatever?

At least Fearon has you for company in the gutter.  Your attitudes are disgusting.

Why? It's fact, innit?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: GweylTah on March 11, 2009, 10:44:27 AM
The funeral of the murdered Police Officer Stephen Carroll takes place tomorrow Thursday at 12 noon after Requiem Mass in Banbridge. The big question is can the local Westminster MP and other senior unionists go against the grain and their Orange Order diktat,and enter a catholic church to honour this man?

Entirely up to themselves but I know of at least two Orange Order members who were happy to attend my wedding in a Catholic church and that wasn't yesterday or last week.  My view is to let the Carroll family and friends grieve in peace and not make a federal case out of who does or doesn't go to the funeral.

Isnt it true that they have to request permission from the grand master wizard or whatever?

At least Fearon has you for company in the gutter.  Your attitudes are disgusting.

Sorry?
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

nifan

Tony did you not say once you wouldnt go to a presby church?
Cult etc etc.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 11, 2009, 10:46:12 AM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on March 11, 2009, 10:33:56 AM

Not exactly sure Orior, the rules of the OO are more complex than those of rugby!  Maybe since they were from Belfast and I got married in Co Cavan, they felt it was far enough away to take the chance??

Their skin didn't burn when they entered the chapel, did it?

No, twas the brollies on a sunny day that were the give away!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

T Fearon

nifan, as I've said previously on this thread, I am not a Public Representative.

Britain considers itselt to be the epitome of tolerance

Unionists consider themselves to be British

The acid test will be the attendance of senior Unionists at the requiem mass at this policeman's funeral and I don't mean joining the cortege after it leaves the church.

Final Whistle

a terrible time to be trying to score points, hang that head of yours.

your trying to turn the funeral of a loved one into a bigotry acid test when you are the most bigoted of them all.

shame on you.

full back

Quote from: T Fearon on March 11, 2009, 11:22:39 AM

The acid test will be the attendance....................

The acid test for who?
A man has been killed & you are more interested pointing fingers at people who may/may not attend
Do you really think the family give a fcuk?
Their feelings might be slightly more important than your 'acid test' at this time

nifan

nifan, as I've said previously on this thread, I am not a Public Representative.

So you wouldn't go to a presby church for "religious reasons", but if you where a public representative you would?

Politicians attending the funeral is like kissing a baby to a certain degree. If it was me I would rather none attended if it is to be poured over by the likes of you.

Hardy

Britain considers itselt to be the epitome of tolerance

Unionists consider themselves to be British

The acid test will be the attendance of senior Unionists at the requiem mass at this policeman's funeral and I don't mean joining the cortege after it leaves the church.

Translation: I'm a sick bigot, but because I'm also a fool and a buffoon, I reserve the right to accuse others of bigotry, simply in anticipation of an act of bigotry that I speculate may happen in the future.

Boolerhead Mel

Tony asks a valid question-no worse than the point scoring that the Unionist politicans and the media have. Nobody as far as I know on this board has condemned the politicans and the brit Media for the line of Questioning they have put to SF regarding brits back on our street and thier emotions towards the killing of the troops. What did they expect Gerry and Martin to cry!!

nifan

Quoteno worse than the point scoring that the Unionist politicans

if they are point scoring then tony is absolved in his? tit for tat point scoring should be the order of the day, maybe less has changed than we thought.

full back

Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on March 11, 2009, 12:03:51 PM
Tony asks a valid question-no worse than the point scoring that the Unionist politicans and the media have.

Exactly
What do people think of politicians that resort to point scoring when a man is killed?
I think it is a disgrace & says a lot about that person

ziggysego

Didn't you know, Tony's the acceptable face of bigotry here.
Testing Accessibility

Gnevin

Shame on you Tony, once again you show your true spots . You've a cheek calling any one a bigot.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

T Fearon

What is bigotted here about me? Previously unionists politicians have boycotted remembrance services due to the inclusion of catholic priests?

As an analogy, how would freestaters react or think if for example Brian Cowen refused to attend the funeral of lets say David Norris, simply because he happened to be of a different religious persuasion? Would you consider Cowen to be fit for public office?