Unionism's big opportunity to shed its religious bigotry

Started by T Fearon, March 11, 2009, 08:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

Quote from: Roger on March 18, 2009, 01:55:01 PM
Read post #67 which started this again.  Don't see anything insular, paranoid or ignorant about that.  Subsequent posts by many on this site have simply highlighted the insular, paranoid and ignorance of the response by those arguing with that post.

What you mean like imaginary attacks on you?

nifan

QuoteNot according to the papers-he was at a different funeral-Jimmy Spratt was there -MLA for South Belfast former RUC man and general half wit. I think he is on the poilcing board-certainly none of thier big names attended

The independant:
QuoteThe Sinn Fein trio, as well as other rank-and-file members, were present alongside DUP representatives, including the MP for the area, David Simpson,

Hes also mentioned in the Irish Times as being there.

Roger

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 11, 2009, 10:46:12 AM
Their skin didn't burn when they entered the chapel, did it?
If you think they believed it would, it says more about you.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Roger on March 18, 2009, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 11, 2009, 10:46:12 AM
Their skin didn't burn when they entered the chapel, did it?
If you think they believed it would, it says more about you.

Away and fcuk off roger, that quote was made to another poster in jest about a couple of protestants attending his wedding, you now are just mixing - clampet.
Tbc....

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Roger on March 18, 2009, 11:42:25 AM
Blinkered people who dwell in a world where their own community is always right, justified to do anything, and who's paranoia knows no bounds believe that if Paisley ever said it, it is automatically offensive.  Afterall them Unionists and Prods are all out to attack and offend people like that. 

FFS, in their wee world the Catholic Church must be Paisleyites too!!!  :D

You couldn't make it up.
Roger, on the chance that you found my last post offensive in any way or that you include me amongst those who inaccurately accuse you of being offensive or who uses insular outlook, paranoia and plain ignorance to establish a point, I'd like to clarify matters somewhat.

To begin with, I do read all threads of a quasi-political nature but really don't bother getting involved in giving opinions or in any sort of coat trailing. There are enough already here who are ready, willing and able to re-fight the Battle of the Boyne over and over again.
However, I did contribute to this topic because it is, I feel, a matter of record that many Nationalists were both frightened and offended  at the tenor of Paisley's remarks back in the early 70s and possibly the late 60s. There were many dark and fearful days, for members of both communities, back then and while they are best left behind they cannot be airbrushed out of history.
If I had to state an opinion on the matter, I'd say that Paisley deserves great credit for the part he has played in moving his followers to the middle ground where an accommodation could be reached with their traditional arch-enemies.
By the same token, Gerry and Marty had to swallow a lot of dearly held principles to go down the road of peace as well.
Leaders on all sides had to change their mindsets and those of their followers along the way from then till now. I say that very few of us can honestly say that they never make mistakes or have seen the need ever to alter tack. It takes arrogance and incompetence in equal measure for an individual to maintain that he or she won't entertain the possibility of accepting change.
I would never feel, for instance, that my paranoia is such that I'd feel whatever Paisley said is automatically offensive. But my memory and my access to resources do tell me that a lot of what he did say at one time was both offensive and intimidating to large numbers of people in the Six Counties.
To maintain otherwise, would certainly indicate a degree of paranoia in its own right!
Like I say, I've no problem giving him credit but that doesn't alter the fact that many Catholics in the North have regarded the term "Roman Catholic" coming from him or his supporters as both demeaning and offensive.
End of sermon... ;)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

nifan

QuoteLike I say, I've no problem giving him credit but that doesn't alter the fact that many Catholics in the North have regarded the term "Roman Catholic" coming from him or his supporters as both demeaning and offensive.

Of course. But ive heard the likes of that practically spit out the term catholic - without the Roman prefix -  as if it was a derogatory term as well.
Context is key.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: nifan on March 18, 2009, 02:38:43 PM
QuoteLike I say, I've no problem giving him credit but that doesn't alter the fact that many Catholics in the North have regarded the term "Roman Catholic" coming from him or his supporters as both demeaning and offensive.

Of course. But ive heard the likes of that practically spit out the term catholic - without the Roman prefix -  as if it was a derogatory term as well.
Context is key.

You're dead right, nifan.
Context is everything and btw I do accept that there may well be terms that many Unionists would also regard as offensive, given their context.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Boolerhead Mel

NIfan

I stand corrected-I had read that he had not attended the mass as he was at another funeral in the Irisn News.

Roger

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 18, 2009, 02:33:43 PM
Quote from: Roger on March 18, 2009, 11:42:25 AM
Blinkered people who dwell in a world where their own community is always right, justified to do anything, and who's paranoia knows no bounds believe that if Paisley ever said it, it is automatically offensive.  Afterall them Unionists and Prods are all out to attack and offend people like that. 

FFS, in their wee world the Catholic Church must be Paisleyites too!!!  :D

You couldn't make it up.
Roger, on the chance that you found my last post offensive in any way or that you include me amongst those who inaccurately accuse you of being offensive or who uses insular outlook, paranoia and plain ignorance to establish a point, I'd like to clarify matters somewhat.

To begin with, I do read all threads of a quasi-political nature but really don't bother getting involved in giving opinions or in any sort of coat trailing. There are enough already here who are ready, willing and able to re-fight the Battle of the Boyne over and over again.
However, I did contribute to this topic because it is, I feel, a matter of record that many Nationalists were both frightened and offended  at the tenor of Paisley's remarks back in the early 70s and possibly the late 60s. There were many dark and fearful days, for members of both communities, back then and while they are best left behind they cannot be airbrushed out of history.
If I had to state an opinion on the matter, I'd say that Paisley deserves great credit for the part he has played in moving his followers to the middle ground where an accommodation could be reached with their traditional arch-enemies.
By the same token, Gerry and Marty had to swallow a lot of dearly held principles to go down the road of peace as well.
Leaders on all sides had to change their mindsets and those of their followers along the way from then till now. I say that very few of us can honestly say that they never make mistakes or have seen the need ever to alter tack. It takes arrogance and incompetence in equal measure for an individual to maintain that he or she won't entertain the possibility of accepting change.
I would never feel, for instance, that my paranoia is such that I'd feel whatever Paisley said is automatically offensive. But my memory and my access to resources do tell me that a lot of what he did say at one time was both offensive and intimidating to large numbers of people in the Six Counties.
To maintain otherwise, would certainly indicate a degree of paranoia in its own right!
Like I say, I've no problem giving him credit but that doesn't alter the fact that many Catholics in the North have regarded the term "Roman Catholic" coming from him or his supporters as both demeaning and offensive.
End of sermon... ;)

I have not been offended by anyone on this thread at all, nor have I said so. 

If people find something someone said 40 odd years ago then fine.  My respect for all religions equally has been stated.  But if people use the views of someone else to generalise ridiculously and feel offended by what I have said then I find the whole thing laughable and pathetic.