Unionism's big opportunity to shed its religious bigotry

Started by T Fearon, March 11, 2009, 08:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boolerhead Mel

Lets look at the facts the OO does not allow its members to take part in "PApish worship" Trimble was nearly hauled over the coals about attending the funerals of the Omagh dead. Maybe Tony should have asked the question is membership of the OO compatable with being a public rep-after all in may entail attending a Catholic service. Lets not forget a TUV member left a school service and dragged his child of stage as soon as a Catholic priest took part in a Christmas service.
Unionism and Orangism needs to end its ambivalence towards the Catholic faith-now is the chance!

T Fearon

Mel I am glad to see someone on this thread has the intelligence to see my very legitimate and non bigotted point.

bingobus

Quote from: T Fearon on March 11, 2009, 12:56:30 PM
Mel I am glad to see someone on this thread has the intelligence to see my very legitimate and non bigotted point.

The fact that you come on here and try and score points in your own wee crusade against the OO says alot about the type of person you are and what your real interets. Absolutely vile.

Intelligence - you have to be joking

Gnevin

Quote from: T Fearon on March 11, 2009, 12:52:45 PM
What is bigotted here about me? Previously unionists politicians have boycotted remembrance services due to the inclusion of catholic priests?

As an analogy, how would freestaters react or think if for example Brian Cowen refused to attend the funeral of lets say David Norris, simply because he happened to be of a different religious persuasion? Would you consider Cowen to be fit for public office?

If the Unionist politicians don't attend then you can act all righteous until them your just shit stirring .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hardy on March 11, 2009, 09:16:22 AM
Breaking news: ketttle in hopeless case of confused identity with pot.

That's a classic, Hardy! ;D
It's also very apt.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Maguire01

Yes, the intelligence - but the level required to see your point...

nifan

Im glad to see that many more have the intelligence to see the irony -
A man who would not go to a church of another religion complaining about individuals, who (potentially) might not go to the church of another religion.

The only difference is the public office. So your happy to say your equally as bigoted but at least you aren't in public office?

Boolerhead, you use the term "papish worship" to highlight the bigoted thoughts - I take it you are aware of tonys usual comments on protetantism, presbyterianism  etc.

Boolerhead Mel

NIFAN

I follow no religion they are all the same nonsense. I used the word as it is how the OO describe those of the Catholic faith.
I again raise the point is a compatible to carry out your civil function as an elected rep if you are a member of a society that hates the religion of at least 40% of the population?

T Fearon

and this quite simply is the point I am making as well.

nifan

Mel - nobody has claimed that the inability of some (and we dont yet know if they will go to the funeral) to attend a catholic church for something like this is not ridiculous. And as someone who follows no religion also i find it a little more so.
Given the fact that tony has espoused similar views about attending a presby church before it comes across a little rich, and a lot like point scoring.

As for politician who hate certain sections of the popualtion, you wont have to look hard to find them.

Gabriel_Hurl

mylestheslasher

I think the only problem with Tony's question is the timing. The policemans family do not need this debate happening right now. In a few weeks or months it would be relevant. I have no idea if Unionist politicians would not attend a funeral in a catholic church or not. If they didn't attend a catholic funeral due to religious bigotry then I think that is something that should be exposed. I can also say from past experience that I have seen OO members from the republic at funerals in catholic churches in Co Cavan.

milltown row

clarshack

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 11, 2009, 09:44:52 PM
I think the only problem with Tony's question is the timing. The policemans family do not need this debate happening right now. In a few weeks or months it would be relevant. I have no idea if Unionist politicians would not attend a funeral in a catholic church or not. If they didn't attend a catholic funeral due to religious bigotry then I think that is something that should be exposed. I can also say from past experience that I have seen OO members from the republic at funerals in catholic churches in Co Cavan.

agree. I think it is a fair enough question - just the timing. i invited a work colleague to my wedding who also happened to be a free presbyterian. he took his invitation home with him but came in the next day and said that he wasnt allowed to go.

T Fearon

Our erstwhile First Minister (who is constantly lauded and given an easy ride by the likes of Pat Kenny etc) used to join the funeral corteges of murderered catholic RUC officers only when the cortege was well away from the church, after mass had ended.

I'm sorry but this is a very relevant point and its begs the question about fitness for public office and more importantly for the British Conservative Party (now in an official alignment with a major Unionist Party here). This party could well be in government in Britain in the not too distant future.

If of course I am wrong and I started this thread with an allusion to unionism's big opportunity, I will humbly acknowledge this