Northern Ireland Towns and Villages Puzzle

Started by DownFanatic, February 26, 2009, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

My golden rule: Dont mix politics with sport. I don't. Im involved with the GAA for pure sporting reasons. I love the game of Gaelic football and that is my main reason for being involved in the association.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 26, 2009, 10:18:02 PM
My golden rule: Dont mix politics with sport. I don't. Im involved with the GAA for pure sporting reasons. I love the game of Gaelic football and that is my main reason for being involved in the association.

Look, you were born in Ulster, which has 9 counties, so cut out the partitionist crap!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

DownFanatic

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 26, 2009, 10:20:38 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 26, 2009, 10:18:02 PM

Look, you were born in Ulster, which has 9 counties, so cut out the partitionist crap!

Life's too short  ;D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 26, 2009, 05:41:06 PM
Using the clues, try to work out the names of the Northern Irish towns and villages. Clue - Add city to that list

A modern grain  Newry

A drink in a hurry  Portrush

It rings at speed  BELFAST

A worn out container  Dundrum

Holy Ground  Saintfield

A girl's name stretched  Annalong

What an Ulsterman goes to school for  Larne

A girl's name  Moira

A famous American Building  Whitehouse

Dead centre _ _ _ _ _

The distance from Bangor to Donaghadee can make you angry here  Sixmilecross

Was the Queen amused when she crossed here (Two Words)  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _ _ _ _ _ _

A wealthy person on a height  Richill

You might find a recipe here  Cookstown

A religious building on a mound (Two Words)  Church Hill

Charitable handouts have finished  Dungiven

Fish can breathe at the crossing here  Gilford

A good one is useful when dancing  Tempo

Explosion maybe Bangor

A well known drink  Bushmills

Lots of cash  Moneymore
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 26, 2009, 10:06:55 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 26, 2009, 10:02:44 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 26, 2009, 09:57:47 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 26, 2009, 06:45:32 PM
I agree with G Nevin. Is everyone comfortable now to say they are from Northern Ireland as opposed to just Ireland? I would only really use it as a geography term and would be including Donegal.

Im Northern Irish and proud of it

So you're a Unionist then; you are if you think that the six counties differ in anything more than a superficial political way from the rest of Ireland. I agree with Gnevin.

No, Im not a Unionist, neither am I a Nationalist or a Republican. I have absolutely no political beliefs or leanings.

I was born in Northern Ireland therefore im Northern Irish. Simple.

But Northern Ireland was only created to split Ireland in 2 and place it under British rule. By saying your northern irish and from Northern Ireland surely you are saying Ireland is 2 seperate countries and your British? Probably the wrong thread for this.

Minder

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 26, 2009, 10:37:58 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 26, 2009, 10:02:44 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 26, 2009, 09:57:47 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 26, 2009, 06:45:32 PM
I agree with G Nevin. Is everyone comfortable now to say they are from Northern Ireland as opposed to just Ireland? I would only really use it as a geography term and would be including Donegal.

Im Northern Irish and proud of it

So you're a Unionist then; you are if you think that the six counties differ in anything more than a superficial political way from the rest of Ireland. I agree with Gnevin.

No, Im not a Unionist, neither am I a Nationalist or a Republican. I have absolutely no political beliefs or leanings.

But Northern Ireland was only created to split Ireland in 2 and place it under British rule. By saying your northern irish and from Northern Ireland surely you are saying Ireland is 2 seperate countries and your British? Probably the wrong thread for this.

Not at all, there are not enough religious, green/orange threads on this board
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tyrone Dreamer

Sorry, was just curious on this issue, wouldnt normally get into the political threads. To be fair there arent near as many of them threads about now, dont notice any on the 1st few pages anyway.

Orior

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 26, 2009, 10:10:00 PM

Would it that it were so simple. When you write Northern Ireland you betray a, perhaps subliminal, acceptance of a particular political perspective on Ireland in general, and on the north of Ireland in particular, which is not apolitical; rather it's a very political statement for someone who ostensibly identifies with the ethos of the GAA. And that is to say, an ethos of the 32 counties of Ireland.

Good post.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Orior on February 26, 2009, 10:46:54 PM

Would it that it were so simple. When you write Northern Ireland you betray a, perhaps subliminal, acceptance of a particular political perspective on Ireland in general, and on the north of Ireland in particular, which is not apolitical; rather it's a very political statement for someone who ostensibly identifies with the ethos of the GAA. And that is to say, an ethos of the 32 counties of Ireland.

Good post.

Yeah .. have to agree .. these feckin 'OWC' things for charity do the rounds for the Orange Order, Women's Institute, etc etc ..  Wee Ulster Mentality.. ps The phrase Northern Ireland went out of fashion with square dicks .. don't start me.. Also, whats wrong with this one? Name the Irish Counties..

1 Five Lines of Verse....
2 Found in Sandwiches...........
3 Keeps getting twice as big........
4 Number 1 UK chart hit from 1972....
5 The type of 'nice' that people from the Malone Road are....
6 Top of the wine bottle...
7 They did this in ever episode of South Park....
8 The candle is nearly out....
9 The suspension in that car has gone...
10 To take a turn without letting on.....
11 Take a dog out on one....
12 A stretched cortina, KA, etc

1st Prize .... two tickets to the Northern Ireland vs Poland game....... (applicants must live in Northern Ireland .. (north of the line from Dublin to Galway)

mountainboii

1 - Limerick
3 - Dublin
6 - Cork
7 - Kilkenny
8 - Wicklow
9 - Carlow
10 - Sligo
11 - Laois
12 - Longford

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on February 26, 2009, 11:13:18 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 26, 2009, 10:46:54 PM

Good post.

Yeah .. have to agree .. these feckin 'OWC' things for charity do the rounds for the Orange Order, Women's Institute, etc etc ..  Wee Ulster Mentality.. ps The phrase Northern Ireland went out of fashion with square dicks .. don't start me.. Also, whats wrong with this one? Name the Irish Counties..

1 Five Lines of Verse....
2 Found in Sandwiches...........
3 Keeps getting twice as big........
4 Number 1 UK chart hit from 1972....
5 The type of 'nice' that people from the Malone Road are....
6 Top of the wine bottle...
7 They did this in ever episode of South Park....
8 The candle is nearly out....
9 The suspension in that car has gone...
10 To take a turn without letting on.....
11 Take a dog out on one....
12 A stretched cortina, KA, etc

1st Prize .... two tickets to the Northern Ireland vs Poland game....... (applicants must live in Northern Ireland .. (north of the line from Dublin to Galway)

1. Limerick
2. Mayo
6. Cork
10. Sligo
11. Laois
12. Longford

thebandit

2 Found in Sandwiches........... MAYO
4 Number 1 UK chart hit from 1972.... TIPPERARY
12 A stretched cortina, KA, etc LONGFORD

Hurler on the Bitch

Number 3 - whilst good - is wrong.... sorry I think I stand corrected . they have all now been solved .. still think that anyone who describes themselves as Northern Irish is semi-literate... I was in Waterstones the other day and asked for the 'NorthernIrish Section' and they looked at me as if I was a member of OWC.....