Northern Ireland Towns and Villages Puzzle

Started by DownFanatic, February 26, 2009, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Watcher Pat

As are all the threads etc about "national strikes" et al if you want to look at it that way!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Tyrone Dreamer

I agree with G Nevin. Is everyone comfortable now to say they are from Northern Ireland as opposed to just Ireland? I would only really use it as a geography term and would be including Donegal.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Gnevin on February 26, 2009, 06:29:35 PM
This is a shockingly partitionist thread

And what odd's Jackeen, start you're own about the the south if you want to, otherwise feck off ;D

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 26, 2009, 06:45:32 PM
I agree with G Nevin. Is everyone comfortable now to say they are from Northern Ireland as opposed to just Ireland? I would only really use it as a geography term and would be including Donegal.
It makes me think of frank mitchell and that silly puzzle he use to have before the weather - it makes me cringe. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tyrone Dreamer

Do I remember him referring to "Londonderry" in some show on utv?

pintsofguinness

Well he did change his name to a more prod sounding name so probably.

downgirl

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Caid

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

DownFanatic

Im Northern Irish and proud of it

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 26, 2009, 09:57:47 PM

So you're a Unionist then; you are if you think that the six counties differ in anything more than a superficial political way from the rest of Ireland. I agree with Gnevin.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

pintsofguinness

DownFanatic

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 26, 2009, 10:02:44 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 26, 2009, 09:57:47 PM

So you're a Unionist then; you are if you think that the six counties differ in anything more than a superficial political way from the rest of Ireland. I agree with Gnevin.

No, Im not a Unionist, neither am I a Nationalist or a Republican. I have absolutely no political beliefs or leanings.

I was born in Northern Ireland therefore im Northern Irish. Simple.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 26, 2009, 10:06:55 PM
I was born in Northern Ireland therefore im Northern Irish. Simple.

Would it that it were so simple. When you write Northern Ireland you betray a, perhaps subliminal, acceptance of a particular political perspective on Ireland in general, and on the north of Ireland in particular, which is not apolitical; rather it's a very political statement for someone who ostensibly identifies with the ethos of the GAA. And that is to say, an ethos of the 32 counties of Ireland.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...