Connacht U-21 Championship 2009

Started by Farrandeelin, February 20, 2009, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Maradona on March 25, 2009, 02:12:15 PM
totally ridicilous to be carrying on the Parsons issue. Look, its one of those things in life - Belaghy is officially across the border, but for all intents and purposes it is part of Charlestown and Parsons would have had a lot more connection to things Charlestown/Mayo than things Sligo.
And with all due respect, its a no brainer that Parsons would choose to play for Mayo. he would probably be largely unknown / not have progressed near as much if he had chose Sligo - after all he has played in an AI Minor final, AI U21 semis with Mayo. I doubt anyone forced his hand.
If I'm not mistaken Dermot Earley and Pat Lyndesey (Ross 70's) were born in Mayo, Colm O'Rourke born in Leitrim - these things happen, move on

Explain so...
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

the Deel Rover

jesus sligonian its obvious you don't have kids at the end of the day once a young child is happy who cares where they play football no one knew at 6 that parsons was going to be a top class footballer he went to school in charlestown and then obvioulsy decided he wanted to play underage with them no big deal he didn't break any rules and for you to hold such a vendetta against the lad is crazy. What do you think of costello playing for sligo should us mayo folk wish ill of him because he is now playing for sligo?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ludermor on March 25, 2009, 02:17:08 PM
I wish you the best in your endeavours and i really hope that you get more support in  your crusade than you have managed to get from your own county men on this board, I would imagine that all of them agree parsons should be playing for mayo but would have a view like Seanie, that it is an issue that should be changed in the future rather than insulting a current player.
I seem to remember than you were the man who vilified your players when they lost games last after spending the whole year building them up to be supermen. If all supporters were like you then ye wouldn't get any player to tog out for ye. /

WTF

BS I didnt vilify anyone, i rightly criticised the players last yr, they werent giving 100%, what do they expect a pat on the back for the rest of there lives, well done ye won connacht in 07, i was looking forward not back, 08 was a joke and i was proved right although the way o hara spoke before the mayo game i foolishy thought we got our act togther.

I expect every player to give there best, i expect them to be there on merit aswell. Simple as that. Dont ever question me as a fan, when were whipping boys i was there, ive a right to expect 100% effort and ive a right to say what needs to be said if anyone does. If the players cant handle the truth or give 100% well maybe the need to look at themselves. I call it as it is as far as im concerned.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Lar Naparka

Fair play to ya, Sligonian; keep her lit and plough straight on!
Don't ever let facts or logic get in the way of a good row! ;D
I really don't have to tell you all this as you seem to be doing it already.

The fact that you'd expect any parents to shove their young kids onto a rickety oul' bus and then send them 6 or seven miles down the road on a dark winter's morning, when they had another school within a couple of hundred yards of their own front door is what you are suggesting, isn't it?
You are a long way away from having toddlers of your own if really think that way.

Can you imagine a cold, wet winter's morning when the bus would be late and parents and children could be forced to stand at the roadside and then having to send the kids into school for the day in a frozen and damp state?
Imagine the problems that would arise if a child took sick and a parent had to be sent for?
All the while, the youngsters could be in a school within walking distance of their homes. You mightn't agree but I'd say all the rest of the human race would.
Go grow a few babbies of yer own and then come back and tell us what you think!

What would your reason be for sending Tom Parsons to Curry in the first place?
Would it be on the off-chance that a little kid might possibly grow up to be a good footballer in 10 to 12 years time?
I can tell you that people were committed for less than that!
Maybe, just maybe, you should go and do a bit of research before you rant on much more.
You might find out where the church in Bellaghy is to begin with!
Better still; see if you can find one that was there in 1884, the year the GAA was founded. (I might have the year wrong as it's the year the parishes affiliated with the county boards for the first time that matters.)
When you have done all of that, you might take the trouble of finding where the boundaries of the old administrative (C of I) parish of Kilbeagh were when the Charlestown club affiliated with the new Mayo County Board.
You could also bear in mind that the club was the most important unit of the GAA. For many years counties were represented by their leading clubs; but I'm sure you know this already, don't you?
You just might look up the townland the Parsons home is situated and see if it falls within the boundaries of Kilbeagh, which is not quite the same as the more modern RC parish of Charlestown.
On the other hand, there is something else you might consider doing.....
How about going out a bit more and getting a real life???
Don't you think the Sligo board would have acted long ago, long before Tom Parsons was born, if Bellaghy players were being 'imprisoned' in Mayo? Back in the early 60s, the Roscommon's county board brought a case to the Connacht Council seeking the transfer of Ballaghadereen from Mayo to Roscommon.
Roscommon lost the case. Ballagh was first affiliated to the Mayo board and parish takes precedence over the modern concept of county.
There is at least one other place in Ireland where the an old administrative parish crosses the more modern county boundary line and people for local government reasons are in Armagh  while the clubs GAA players are eligible to play for is affiliated to the Down County Board.
Maybe you should just get a bucket and spade and go play with all that lovely sand you have out there!
Forget about Tom Parsons and old parish/county boundaries. They will all be staying the way they are for many a year to come.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 25, 2009, 02:27:32 PM
i foolishy thought we got our act togther.

Some might even say you were deluded

joemamas

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on Today at 01:26:48 PM

I know why you think im holding back, if i said what i really feel it would be slanderous so im threading as close as i feel i can.

Classy. You need help.

I agree a class act, Give him two or three months and he will be badmouthing half the current Sligo team.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Maradona on March 25, 2009, 02:12:15 PM
totally ridicilous to be carrying on the Parsons issue. Look, its one of those things in life - Belaghy is officially across the border, but for all intents and purposes it is part of Charlestown and Parsons would have had a lot more connection to things Charlestown/Mayo than things Sligo.
And with all due respect, its a no brainer that Parsons would choose to play for Mayo. he would probably be largely unknown / not have progressed near as much if he had chose Sligo - after all he has played in an AI Minor final, AI U21 semis with Mayo. I doubt anyone forced his hand.
If I'm not mistaken Dermot Earley and Pat Lyndesey (Ross 70's) were born in Mayo, Colm O'Rourke born in Leitrim - these things happen, move on

Not to mention Jimmy Duggan that played for the great Galway teams in the mid sixties and early seventies is a Claremorris man, he would have been a great addition to the great Mayo team of that period.
Get over it Sligonian every county loses players to other counties you just cant keep going on about this, your like a broken record bringing this up time and time again.

ludermor

BS I didnt vilify anyone, i rightly criticised the players last yr, they werent giving 100%, what do they expect a pat on the back for the rest of there lives, well done ye won connacht in 07, i was looking forward not back, 08 was a joke and i was proved right although the way o hara spoke before the mayo game i foolishy thought we got our act togther.

I expect every player to give there best, i expect them to be there on merit aswell. Simple as that. Dont ever question me as a fan, when were whipping boys i was there, ive a right to expect 100% effort and ive a right to say what needs to be said if anyone does. If the players cant handle the truth or give 100% well maybe the need to look at themselves. I call it as it is as far as im concerned.

You spouted shit for months leading up to the game saying how confident you were sligo were going to win and good shape the players and the team were in and as soon as they lost you absolutely slaughtered them in you criticism.
Why do you think the players owe you anything? Do you pay their wages, have they a contract with you? You are so full of your own self importance it is staggering! You say you cant be questioned as a fan, based on what? The fact that you have been talking shite since words came out of your mouth? Does the reason you have been a fan since year dot give you some special privilege?

RedandGreenSniper

Tell us, when are you going managing Sligo so? You do seem to have all the answers. I'm sure the players would really respect you.

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Rossfan

Any chance ye bucks might talk about the match?  :P
By the way driving through Ballagh last Saturday it was lovely to see the beautiful RN plates on all the locals vehicles; the lovely Ros Co Council crest on the Ros Co Co Fire Station; the lovely Ros Crest on the Ros Co Co Library and then to have it ruined by the sight of a dirty Red/Green flag on that hellhole Durkan's.
One place for all Rossiefans  to avoid like the plague.
Anyway as to the Final --it's difficult to see Sligo winning but they will have no pressure and in Markievicz they could upset the odds but it's a long shot. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Azzurri

Quote from: Rossfan on March 25, 2009, 06:19:06 PM
By the way driving through Ballagh last Saturday it was lovely to see the beautiful RN plates on all the locals vehicles; the lovely Ros Co Council crest on the Ros Co Co Fire Station; the lovely Ros Crest on the Ros Co Co Library and then to have it ruined by the sight of a dirty Red/Green flag on that hellhole Durkan's.
Anyway as to the Final --it's difficult to see Sligo winning but they will have no pressure and in Markievicz they could upset the odds but it's a long shot. :-\

Dont worry............the lovely Ros CoCo plan to bypass Ballagh!!!!

Sligonian.......your argument is ridiculous

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Rossfan on March 25, 2009, 06:19:06 PM

I was wondering whenn the Rossies would start with their own 'slight'.

But yeah, time to start talking about the match. I wonder have the Mayo management stumbled upon their best team during the Roscommon game? Kevin McLoughlin was class when he moved from wing-back to corner-back while Sean Prendergast did well at wing-back. John Broderick might lose his spot at corner-back as a result. Conor Jordan did well in the corner when he came on but its hard to see him edging out any of the six forwards, unless Freeman doesn't recover from injury. If thats the case Jordan would go in corner-forward and Douglas out to the wing.
The Sligo team will take beating though. They might not have the same reputation but they have enough good players from Attracta's and Summerhill teams in recent years that should be able to keep our boys on their toes - a lot of them would be familiar with each other from the Colleges League and Championships.
In Sligo, Saturday week, no time yet.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

FL/MAYO

Is there any bars in Bellaghy that we can stop off for a few on the way home from the U21 final, after all that village deserves our patronage for some of the fine footballers it has and will give us in the future ;)

Greenabovethered

O'Hara's - across the road from Tom Parsons house ; ::)

spectator

Cheers R&GS ... thanks for the timely reminder ... :D

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 25, 2009, 04:35:54 AM
There is obviuosly no respect for the border at bellaghy from a Mayo point of view, yer desire to win sam and make yereelves stronger is fuelling that ye'll shaft anyone or county to get it by poaching players.

Sligonian, I've had many a debate on here with the Mayo lads about the Ballagh situation, where Ballagh Rossies - as opposed to Ballagh Mayoites - are given a Hobson's Choice by Mayo GAA if they wish to play county football. ie, it's Mayo or no-one. Strictly speaking they're operating within GAA rules - notwithstanding the fact that Ballagh is well inside Ros - whether we like it or not. And Mayo GAA enforces those rules, the Cof I parish boundaries in 1884 argument, or whatever else it takes to keep Ballagh Rossie players within their controlling grasp.

Indeed, one or two Mayoites on here have even admitted that the possibility of getting good players of Ross allegiance from Ballagh every now and again is too beneficial to Mayo GAA to even think of considering giving those lads a choice of playing for Ros - the county they were born, reared & are living in. I can understand that type of blunt honesty, as a reason for defending denying Ballagh lads who are Rossies the choice of playing for their own county. Perspective goes out the window when you're as desperate for Sam Maguire to come back to Mayo as they obviously are ... you'll take good players from anywhere you can get them in that situation, I suppose.

I should say in fairness, that one Mayoite, stephenite i think, said that he had sympathy for the disenfranchised Ballagh Rossies and could understand that they might want to play for their home county Ros. And Oirthear Maigh Eo even favoured the recent county title winning Rossie captain from Ballagh playing for Ros, if selected. So there are reasonable Mayoites on here who will at least try and debate these types of situations on their merits with you, if you meet them half way.

I can see where you're coming from regarding what you see as prospective Sligo players being poached by a larger county & the best of good luck to you. But for pitys sake drop your continuous dissing of Tom Parsons - that's just bang out of order dissing a current player.  >:(

Otherwise, keep 'er lit lad. You seem to have the happy knack of getting under the Mayoites skins  ;)