Which is worse for me - a pint of Guinness or a Pint of Coke?

Started by Caid, February 09, 2009, 10:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caid

So i'm giving up the drink for lent.  Which effectively means i'm giving up guinness.  Now as a warm up/down I went cold turkey this weekend.  But when I went to my local bar to watch the Rugby I discovered it was £2.20 for a Pint of Pepsi.  Now in the same bar its £2.70 for a lovely pint of G (£2.50 in his January sale).  So I started to think of the merits of both to try to decide the lesser evil:

Cost:  Draw, Coke with a small advantage (cause after eight pints you dont buy rounds for random strangers)
Calories: Coke has more calories
Sugar: Coke is the clear winner
Alcohol: Guinness is guilty here

So I reckon both are bad on the wallet, guinness is bad on the liver whilst Coke is bad on the teeth.  But with Coke having a higher calorific content I reckon it must be slightly worse (Guinness doesn't give me hangovers).  What d'ya reckon - which is worse?
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

ziggysego

Coke... if you're drinking it by the pint.

Why not a glass of orange or something?
Testing Accessibility

maggie

Maguire01

Or just diet coke?

Anyway, there's no way you'd drink 8 pints of coke or diet coke on a night out! You'd probably as sick as any alcoholoc binge.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gnevin

It would be someone who can drink 10 pints of Coke in night.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on February 09, 2009, 11:14:22 PM
It would be someone who can drink 10 pints of Coke in night.

from experience the after a Double Gulp (7eleven) you shite coke!
Grand Slam Saturday!

RedandGreenSniper

Well if pintsofguinness is in a bad mood, he wouldn't be good at all for your buzz. A pint of coke would give ya a good lift so I'd say pintsofguinness is bad for you ;)
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

inisceithleann

After a few pints of Coke, at least you don't have the urge to run and eat a massive feed from the nearest chippy. But it does depend on what the Coke tastes like. In sum pubs, they use the cheapest stuff going and it tastes brutal.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

magpie seanie

Quoteguinness is bad on the liver whilst Coke is bad on the teeth

5 or 6 pints of Coke would be bad on lots of things, not just your teeth. Good Guinness is a gift from God.

mountainboii

5 or 6 pints of coke would give you serious chest palpitations.

You didn't consider the caffeine content of coke at all.

rosnarun

Quote from: AFS on February 10, 2009, 12:36:56 AM
5 or 6 pints of coke would give you serious chest palpitations.

You didn't consider the caffeine content of coke at all.
point though as made vbefore you would not drink eight pints of coke. not more than once any way.
and it wont give you liver problem or cause you to go home and beat your wife nor after a long spell of drinking compell you to drink even more till you find your self in a drying out clinic broken and broke other than that stout is fine
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

BallyhaiseMan

196 Calories in a pint of Guiness

approximetely 233 calories in a pint of coke.

tyssam5

You won't find yourself waking up next to a mucksavage, if you confine your libations to Coke!  ;D

mylestheslasher

Gave up the drink myself at different times over the year. Started off drinking coke or 7up instead. Used to feel worse in the morning than if I had sunk the pints. Next time I did it I just drank water or water with a dash of orange. Used to drink the still water too fast (2 waters for every pint) so started buying  the fizzy one instead. Didn't find it too bad to drink.
One other piece of advice. Don't go to nightclubs sober and for the love of god don't go to any weddings. You'll get irrated by the drunken fools that use used to be.