The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 11, 2010, 11:23:35 AM
Good post BC1 though I would also sell Lucas, Steven Ireland would be a good option I reckon, his time at City would appear to be short and despite what we may think of him as a person his footballing ability is top notch,I reckon he could be got at a decent price too

I think he would fit in at Liverpool just fine! :D

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: bingobus on May 11, 2010, 11:27:42 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 11, 2010, 11:23:35 AM
Good post BC1 though I would also sell Lucas, Steven Ireland would be a good option I reckon, his time at City would appear to be short and despite what we may think of him as a person his footballing ability is top notch,I reckon he could be got at a decent price too

Sell Lucas? One of our most improved players this year and consistent perfomers. While I hate to see him playing alongside Masch, It is important to have two holding players like this in the EPL and he's young. Very important squad player going forward.

As for Ireland, I don't think his head is right. A talented player no doubt but it would depend on the manager. Rafa wouldn't touch him or be the right person for him. I think you'd need a manager like Hodgson or O'Neill for the likes of Ireland.

Agree with you on both points there. Have seen enough of Lucas to think that he can develop a lot more. Would like to see him play a bit further forward. Towards the end of the year he started making some good runs into the box. If he adds goalscoring to his game he could become a decent player to have around.

I like Ireland as a player but don't think Rafa is the type of manager to get the best out of him either.

The Real Laoislad

Sorry lads but I just can't warm to Lucas, I wouldn't see him being a big loss if he was sold.
corn02(RIP) would love me for saying this but I would rather hold onto Kuyt.

Also regarding Rafa and S.Ireland well I for one would be hoping Rafa won't be around next season
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hound

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 11, 2010, 11:51:58 AM
Sorry lads but I just can't warm to Lucas, I wouldn't see him being a big loss if he was sold.
corn02(RIP) would love me for saying this but I would rather hold onto Kuyt.

Also regarding Rafa and S.Ireland well I for one would be hoping Rafa won't be around next season
Lucas and Kuyt are grand players, but we could do better and I wouldnt miss either of them.

Aqualini has been improving with every game, so I think I'd prefer him over Ireland for an attacking central midfield slot. Ireland would make a good right sided midfielder though.  I'd say the only way we get Ireland though is by losing Gerrard or Torres. So I don't see it happening.

blewuporstuffed

for what its worth:
i would get rid of

aurellio- free
skertl- 7/8 mill
degen- whatever you can get
babel- 7/8 mill
el zhar-1/2 mill
riera- 6 mill

i would say you are looking at getting in between 20-25mill for those players

would keep the greek if he is happy enough to sit on the bench.
insua isnt good enough to play the bulk of games but is fine as cover.
lucas is improving and would keep him aswell
aqualani could eyt turn out to be a decent player
i wouldnt rush out to sell benny or kuyt but if a good offer came in fro either of them i would take it.

much more money is need to be invested to get back to the champions league, but with that sort of money
a left back, winger, centre back & another striker are all needed and its going to be an awfull stretch to bring in much quality.

if petrov was available on a free he might replace babel/riera for not much outlay
joe cole would be a great signing, but would he really want to come?
i'd love to see shawcross/cahill in to fill the centre back role but could prove to costly
as for a left back, its hard to know who is out there. very little in the premier league worth going for so unless they can pick up a bargain from abroad.
have they def signed this new guy Jovanovic?
the real problem is , with out championsleague football and very little money, its going to be hard to attract talent to the club that will actually improve the squad
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

myball22

I think some of us are very optimistic of the amount of money that will be available to spend.

Consequently I cannot see as many changes in personnel as others have.

I think Aurelio, Degen, Rieira and Babel will go. Babel needs to go now while he still has some transfer value left.

I can't see Kuyt and Lucas go, no matter how much I would like to see it happen.

I think the main areas for rebuilding are striker (we need another including this free transfer guy),
left back and midfield/winger.

I think the time has come to start Skrtel and Agger at centre backs also.

One question though, since Liverpool will begin the Europa League so early (end of July), do all the players become illegible in Europe if they are sold.
If so, then we need to get a move on and start selling before the transfer value drops for those who we want to sell.

supersarsfields

I see alot of people want rid of Skyrtel, he is definitely one I'd be keeping. I actually think he can turn into a very good CH.
Also would agree with keeping Lucas who's had a far better season than Gerrard IMO. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Gerrard going if I thought we'd get good money for him. I'd be more worried about holding on to Torres anyway.
we definitely need investment in the wings and I'd say goodbye to Babel (Who'll no doubt turn into a great player the minute he leaves!!) and Reira. Would prob hold on to Kuyt as he'll ad to cover for up top but if a decent offer came in then maybe.

I'll be honest, I don't think we're going to get worse and fall down to being a regular mid table team. I think things got very bad this year and it was hard to try and turn things around. I don't think we'll be pushing to win the league next year nor prob for the next few but I reckon with a change in manager and a re-grouping we'll get back into a top 4 spot which is vital for the long term building. And I'd love to see a development in the stadium.

magpie seanie

If Rafa goes you could do worse than hold onto Babel. I know I'd be happy for United to pick him up for the 7-8M quoted above. Benitez has stifled his development (as he has done with several wide players - Riera another example) and I think there is still great potential there. If he's allowed to play like a winger he might just turn out to be the player we all thought he would be a few years ago. Rafa is all about systems not individualism. If Liverpool had got Ronaldo when United did he'd be back playing in Portugal now. As for the likes of Nani.....

Billys Boots

QuoteBenitez has stifled his development (as he has done with several wide players - Riera another example) and I think there is still great potential there.

Nail on the head there Seanie, I saw Riera playing a few times and I thought he was a very good player - he spent his career in Liverpool looking behind him at (and trying to cover) the succession of disasters at left-full.  He was bought as an attacking right-mid - he appeared always to be receiving possession on the back foot, or in his own half.  And Babel only played as a striker for his entire career at Ajax, prior to arrival at Anfield. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Minder

Benitez has his faults but not getting the best out of Babel isnot one of them. Is it Benitez fault Hejaz no desire and is frankly averse to physical contact? Babel has had many chances and has never taken them, there has been the odd cameo but not enough to warrant an extended run In the team. The problem with Babel is Babel himself, not the manager. 99% of Liverpool fans that watch Liverpool on a regular basis will tell you this.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 11, 2010, 01:37:33 PM
If Rafa goes you could do worse than hold onto Babel. I know I'd be happy for United to pick him up for the 7-8M quoted above. Benitez has stifled his development (as he has done with several wide players - Riera another example) and I think there is still great potential there. If he's allowed to play like a winger he might just turn out to be the player we all thought he would be a few years ago. Rafa is all about systems not individualism. If Liverpool had got Ronaldo when United did he'd be back playing in Portugal now. As for the likes of Nani.....
while i sort of agree with you about rafa stfling players, i still dont think babel is up to it and would def sell him.
maxi looks like the sort of player that would realy shine under a more attacking system but. he seems to have just got on with it and tried to do the job he was asked even though i think he would be much better suited to more attacking wide role
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

bingobus

Your's are contradicting yourselves there lads with Babel, one saying he's a winger and the other a striker. Having watched him dozens and dozens of times, I can;t see any potential. His attitude and basic skills are very lacking. Head down and try and run through a player seems to be his favoured "trick", he'll do alright in France or spain but not in the EPL.

As for blaming Rafa for him been shite is daft. Torres has said on countless ocassions that Rafa has massively improved his game. Other players have had very good spells under Rafa. In this case it is the players thats the problem, not Rafa.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on May 11, 2010, 01:55:34 PM
Benitez has his faults but not getting the best out of Babel isnot one of them. Is it Benitez fault Hejaz no desire and is frankly averse to physical contact? Babel has had many chances and has never taken them, there has been the odd cameo but not enough to warrant an extended run In the team. The problem with Babel is Babel himself, not the manager. 99% of Liverpool fans that watch Liverpool on a regular basis will tell you this.

Couldn't agree more
You'll Never Walk Alone.

J OGorman

would agree with offloading most of the suggestions posted, but whats the craic with a bag of crisps or whatever can be got for Degen? Has had a few injuries alright, but from what i seen of the guy, he was good. Has he played a reck of matches I missed and was poor? Was never gonna get a chance in Rafa's ultra defensive / creative stifling fomation.

I like his positivity and energy going forward, surely deserves a rattle under a new manager, esp as the reds wouldnt get that much for him?

Would love to get new owners / MON, Milner and Young in the summer and shoulders to the wheel from a few who fell well short on effort this past season.

Would also give Stephen Ireland a rattle. Very surprised @ the amount of folk on here who know the guy personally and can give out about him as a human..he must a very sociable chap. As for the cars he drives, I've a good friend who drives an Audi TT and it doesnt affect our friendship