The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Cúig huaire

Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Capt Pat

About time too. That is the way the law works in Eastern europe, they just arrest some bloke and make up all the evidence as they go along.

Minder

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 09, 2009, 03:13:20 PM
About time too. That is the way the law works in Eastern europe, they just arrest some bloke and make up all the evidence as they go along.

I think there was a bit more to it than that, just because a Brit was arrested on foreign soil they are not automatically innocent.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Minder on September 09, 2009, 03:33:46 PM

I think there was a bit more to it than that, just because a Brit was arrested on foreign soil they are not automatically innocent.
Sense!

DennistheMenace

Add to the fact that Jack Straw didn't see fit to pardon him given the evidence so it's hardly a 'foreign soil' issue alone..

under the bar

Bad news for Englands WC bid.  Pardoning hooligans convicted of attempted murder in another country won't be looked on favorably.

Joxer

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 09, 2009, 01:53:49 PM
Michael Shields has been pardoned.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/8245760.stm

Great to see.  About time too!  British Government left him sitting long enough.

Quote from: under the bar on September 09, 2009, 04:07:34 PM
Bad news for Englands WC bid.  Pardoning hooligans convicted of attempted murder in another country won't be looked on favorably.

Go f**k yourself! 

stevo-08

Quote from: Minder on September 09, 2009, 03:33:46 PM

Thats 100% right but at the same time, I firmly believe that the case against shields should have been thrown out long before it went to court, due to the manner of the investigation & subsequent arrest. It was a farce.

Minder

If Meghragi was not released a few weeks back Shields would still be doing porridge. This is one of the final steps of a Labour government on it's last legs.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

EC Unique

How can Straw 'pardon' him of a crime commited and convicted outside the uk?

under the bar

QuoteBad news for Englands WC bid.  Pardoning hooligans convicted of attempted murder in another country won't be looked on favorably.

Go f**k yourself! 

Wow, you're a real man, telling people to go f**k themselves on a discussion board!  Don't you have school in the morning?

stevo-08

Quote from: EC Unique on September 09, 2009, 06:19:46 PM
How can Straw 'pardon' him of a crime commited and convicted outside the uk?

Something to do with prisoner transfer laws. It was actually the bulgarian authorities who initially claimed that Straw had the power to pardon Shields. A judicial inquiry was then set up last year to investigate if this was true, and they came back with the same finding, however it was only Straw who could pardon him and not the courts.

It does seem strange to me. As I said, I think the initial investigation and arrest was a farce and the case should have been thrown out. But once convicted, I dont think he should have been pardoned. Could set a dangerous precedent. If there was new evidence, then just appeal and reopen the case.

under the bar

How come Straw doesn't extradite the man whom he said "admitted responsibility"? 

Does he not understand the term 'natural justice?'

Doogie Browser

Quote from: under the bar on September 10, 2009, 10:55:09 AM
How come Straw doesn't extradite the man whom he said "admitted responsibility"? 

Does he not understand the term 'natural justice?'
His confession was tainted too, pressure put to bear on him from all sides, this is a very dodgy case, I have my doubts to be honest.