The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Hound must have been in bad form afte another great Kuyt showing yesterday. Great year, the test will be if he can repeat it next year.

Newcastle were the worst side, even worse than West Brom, we have faced over the two games.

Alonso masterful again, Aurelio much better.

Good spirit from the side, great to see nobody giving up.

nifan

I see some reports today claiming Rafa is still keen to offload Alonso to purchase Barry. Is he mad?

corn02

Quote from: nifan on May 04, 2009, 10:12:11 AM
I see some reports today claiming Rafa is still keen to offload Alonso to purchase Barry. Is he mad?

Expect plenty of that. Both will be at the club next season I would imagine.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: corn02 on May 04, 2009, 10:16:24 AM
Quote from: nifan on May 04, 2009, 10:12:11 AM

Expect plenty of that. Both will be at the club next season I would imagine.

Is there enough money to go for Barry & a big name striker? (cetainly the top priority!?)

gawa316

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on May 04, 2009, 10:28:17 AM

Is there enough money to go for Barry & a big name striker? (cetainly the top priority!?)

Barry has only one year left on his contract so can't see him costing more than 7 or 8 mil if even that

corn02

Quote from: gawa316 on May 04, 2009, 10:31:52 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on May 04, 2009, 10:28:17 AM

Barry has only one year left on his contract so can't see him costing more than 7 or 8 mil if even that

Exactly, 10 million at most. Lucas will go and we will get about 5 or 6 million for him, so it wn;t be a big financial swing and we will have Barry instead of Lucas as our other midfieder.

If all goes to plan, that would be good business.

Goats Do Shave

The likes of Arsenal may go for Barry though... could drive the price back up somewhat.

I'd agree that would be deadly business!

Hound

Well I've seen most games Liverpool have played this season, and over 2 games there is no doubt that Newcastle are the worst opposition we've played in the league. 5-1 and 3-0 is a poor indicator of the total domination of the 180 minutes.

Interesting that Benitez has said Mascherano has turned down a move away from Anfield (to a non-Italian and non-Spanish side). But for a guy to turn down a move, that surely means the club accepted it in the first instance?

stiffler

Quote from: corn02 on May 04, 2009, 09:55:43 AM
Hound must have been in bad form afte another great Kuyt showing yesterday. Great year, the test will be if he can repeat it next year.

Newcastle were the worst side, even worse than West Brom, we have faced over the two games.

would have to agree, closely followed by united.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

corn02

Quote from: Hound on May 04, 2009, 12:04:38 PM
Well I've seen most games Liverpool have played this season, and over 2 games there is no doubt that Newcastle are the worst opposition we've played in the league. 5-1 and 3-0 is a poor indicator of the total domination of the 180 minutes.

Interesting that Benitez has said Mascherano has turned down a move away from Anfield (to a non-Italian and non-Spanish side). But for a guy to turn down a move, that surely means the club accepted it in the first instance?

I don't think he officially rejected it hound so probably feelers put out or the club mentioned it to him, so probably a non-story, he will be going nowhere.

Hound, come on a bit of praise for Kuyt please, your quick to always get the boot in.

gawa316

Sami signs for Leverkusen
Sami Hyypia has today brought a decade of service to Liverpool Football Club to an end by signing a two-year deal with Bayer Leverkusen. 
Hyypia underwent a medical with the German outfit this morning and will link up with his new teammates in the summer for the start of pre-season training.

The Finnish international has earned legendary status at Anfield for the part he has played in the club's many successes over the past decade - and he will leave Merseyside with the best wishes of every Liverpool supporter.

It's hard to believe he cost the Reds just £2.5million from Dutch outfit Willem II back in May 1999.

After making his Reds debut against Sheffield Wednesday on August 7, 1999, Hyypia quickly formed a watertight partnership with Stephane Henchoz, providing the foundation for a historic treble in 2000-01.

The centre-half wore the captain's armband through much of this momentous campaign in the absence of the injured Jamie Redknapp. He jointly lifted both the UEFA and FA Cups.

Following the departure of Redknapp in April 2002, Gerard Houllier handed his trusty defender the captaincy on a permanent basis, though he'd be replaced by the emerging Steven Gerrard in October 2003.

With the arrival of new boss Rafa Benitez in 2004 came numerous personnel changes, though it was clear Hyypia was going nowhere.

However, he did have a new central-defensive partner in Jamie Carragher, who was at last given a regular slot in his preferred position. Within 12 months they were regarded as one of the most formidable pairings on the continent following Liverpool's Champions League triumph in the Ataturk.

Hyypia scored one of the most memorable goals en route to Istanbul, an unstoppable volley to open the scoring against Juve in the quarter-finals.

Incredibly, he played every minute of 57 consecutive European games for the Reds from November 2001 to February 2006.

The arrival of young centre-halves Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel provided competition for places as Hyypia entered his twilight but, despite sometimes missing out, he continued to climb the club's all-time appearance table. In December 2008 he overtook Ron Yeats to enter the top 20.

History will undoubtedly judge the big Finn to be one of the club's shrewdest pieces of business - and possibly the best pound for pound signing ever to arrive at Anfield.

Gutted to see Sami go, an absolute legend for Liverpool through out his 10 years. Will be solely missed.

Good luck Sami

Tommy Tibbs

Quote from: gawa316 on May 04, 2009, 02:52:01 PM
Sami signs for Leverkusen
Sami Hyypia has today brought a decade of service to Liverpool Football Club to an end by signing a two-year deal with Bayer Leverkusen. 
Hyypia underwent a medical with the German outfit this morning and will link up with his new teammates in the summer for the start of pre-season training.

The Finnish international has earned legendary status at Anfield for the part he has played in the club's many successes over the past decade - and he will leave Merseyside with the best wishes of every Liverpool supporter.

It's hard to believe he cost the Reds just £2.5million from Dutch outfit Willem II back in May 1999.

After making his Reds debut against Sheffield Wednesday on August 7, 1999, Hyypia quickly formed a watertight partnership with Stephane Henchoz, providing the foundation for a historic treble in 2000-01.

The centre-half wore the captain's armband through much of this momentous campaign in the absence of the injured Jamie Redknapp. He jointly lifted both the UEFA and FA Cups.

Following the departure of Redknapp in April 2002, Gerard Houllier handed his trusty defender the captaincy on a permanent basis, though he'd be replaced by the emerging Steven Gerrard in October 2003.

With the arrival of new boss Rafa Benitez in 2004 came numerous personnel changes, though it was clear Hyypia was going nowhere.

However, he did have a new central-defensive partner in Jamie Carragher, who was at last given a regular slot in his preferred position. Within 12 months they were regarded as one of the most formidable pairings on the continent following Liverpool's Champions League triumph in the Ataturk.

Hyypia scored one of the most memorable goals en route to Istanbul, an unstoppable volley to open the scoring against Juve in the quarter-finals.

Incredibly, he played every minute of 57 consecutive European games for the Reds from November 2001 to February 2006.

The arrival of young centre-halves Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel provided competition for places as Hyypia entered his twilight but, despite sometimes missing out, he continued to climb the club's all-time appearance table. In December 2008 he overtook Ron Yeats to enter the top 20.

History will undoubtedly judge the big Finn to be one of the club's shrewdest pieces of business - and possibly the best pound for pound signing ever to arrive at Anfield.

Gutted to see Sami go, an absolute legend for Liverpool through out his 10 years. Will be solely missed.

Good luck Sami

A brilliant servant for the last 10 years, complete legend and as the report suggests one of the best value for money buys since the start of the Premier League. Hope he gets some game time before the end of the season at anfield and gets the send off he deserves!

corn02

Gutted.

Really would have loved him to stay, he could have played on.

Hopefully, someday, he will be back in a coaching role.

Hound

Quote from: corn02 on May 04, 2009, 12:40:58 PM
Hound, come on a bit of praise for Kuyt please, your quick to always get the boot in.
Jeezus corn, we already this feckin conversation. There is no need to jumping up and down when Kuyt has a good game. Maybe that means its unusual!

I don't praise guys for doing their jobs. Kuyt played well, and in particular did super for his goal, and was involved in a lot of good things. But he'd hardly the perfect game, still made a mess of a couple of things and missed a great chance at 0-0.

I don't dislike Kuyt and really hope he plays well every week. But I don't hold back in criticising players who play rubbish. Even though Kuyt has had a decent season, and definitely a good second half to the season, he's still had many games when he's been desperate - and I'd bet a lot of money that there isnt a midfielder/striker in the Premiership who has put more crosses over the end line this season than Kuyt. Still I think he's worth his place in the Liverpool team, though I wouldnt play him in quite as many games as Rafa does.

corn02

Quote from: Hound on May 04, 2009, 03:51:05 PM
Quote from: corn02 on May 04, 2009, 12:40:58 PM
Jeezus corn, we already this feckin conversation. There is no need to jumping up and down when Kuyt has a good game. Maybe that means its unusual!

I don't praise guys for doing their jobs. Kuyt played well, and in particular did super for his goal, and was involved in a lot of good things. But he'd hardly the perfect game, still made a mess of a couple of things and missed a great chance at 0-0.

I don't dislike Kuyt and really hope he plays well every week. But I don't hold back in criticising players who play rubbish. Even though Kuyt has had a decent season, and definitely a good second half to the season, he's still had many games when he's been desperate - and I'd bet a lot of money that there isnt a midfielder/striker in the Premiership who has put more crosses over the end line this season than Kuyt. Still I think he's worth his place in the Liverpool team, though I wouldnt play him in quite as many games as Rafa does.

No, not a case of being unusual - just think we have to be proportianate about these things and not just not make posts when he kicks a ball out over the endline.

Bit of winding too.  ;)

Didn't have the perfect games but many papers gave him MOTM so that will do.

My undying love aside, I think him and Yoissi have proven since Xmas that they are genuine first team players rather than good squad men. The real test, as I say, will be next season.