The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2018, 01:48:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2018, 01:42:37 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on May 28, 2018, 01:33:58 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 28, 2018, 12:42:46 PM
Genuine question, does Klopp find another goalkeeper now that his number 1 embarrassed himself twice on the biggest stage of club football?
Most managers would have burned his contract before full time, but Klopp seems to operate differently.   

Klopp's own record in major finals is nothing to write home about so he can hardly go pointing fingers
That is definitely becoming an issue. This year was a good, not great one. LFC needs to win a trophy next season. Any of the 4 trophies on offer would do.

We've had this discussion before and I still don't agree.

What matters is improving in the league and performing in the champions league.

On top of that, the FA Cup or league cup might be a bonus. On their own, in the absence of performing in the league and Europe, they're next to meaningless.

And I've said why can't it be both? LFC should be trying to win trophies. My #1 would be the League, #2CL, #3FA Cup, #4 League Cup.

It shouldn't be beyond LFC to win the League Cup and finish 3rd or 4th for example.

Continually finishing 3rd or 4th and winning nothing will get stale very quickly.

Itchy

Quote from: Itchy on May 03, 2018, 11:49:25 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on May 03, 2018, 11:47:49 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 03, 2018, 09:10:07 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 03, 2018, 01:38:05 PM
Thanks Itchy - insightful stuff

You're welcome

Have you applied to TV3?  They are looking for some new analysts. The crew they have are more anal than analyst

Not yet. But don't you have to claim Liverpool will be delighted to play a mere minnow like real Madrid in the final to make tv3? See I said the opposite.

I got the job even though i was one goal out in my prediction of 3-0

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2018, 01:52:27 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 28, 2018, 01:48:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2018, 01:42:37 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on May 28, 2018, 01:33:58 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on May 28, 2018, 12:42:46 PM
Genuine question, does Klopp find another goalkeeper now that his number 1 embarrassed himself twice on the biggest stage of club football?
Most managers would have burned his contract before full time, but Klopp seems to operate differently.   

Klopp's own record in major finals is nothing to write home about so he can hardly go pointing fingers
That is definitely becoming an issue. This year was a good, not great one. LFC needs to win a trophy next season. Any of the 4 trophies on offer would do.

We've had this discussion before and I still don't agree.

What matters is improving in the league and performing in the champions league.

On top of that, the FA Cup or league cup might be a bonus. On their own, in the absence of performing in the league and Europe, they're next to meaningless.

And I've said why can't it be both? LFC should be trying to win trophies. My #1 would be the League, #2CL, #3FA Cup, #4 League Cup.

It shouldn't be beyond LFC to win the League Cup and finish 3rd or 4th for example.

Continually finishing 3rd or 4th and winning nothing will get stale very quickly.

I've said that progress on the league front and in Europe is what matters. But that may have to be third or fourth for a year or two. They could hit 85 points next season and still finish third the way things are going with City and possibly United. Could hit 90 the year after and still not win the league. But it would still represent serious progress given the state they were in when Klopp took over.

Winning a league cup or FA cup on top of that would be a bonus, as I have said, but ultimately fairly meaningless. At that level, winning one shouldn't save a top manager's job, nor should failure to win one cost him his job.

Did Conte salvage an awful season for Chelsea with their FA cup win? Do Guardiola or City fans really give a bollocks about winning the league cup looking back on their record breaking league season? Would their season be regarded as much less successful had they NOT won the league cup? Would they have preferred, along with their title win, to have been runners up in the champions league than league cup winners?

Sorry, but I just don't see the league or FA cup having any great relevance to what Liverpool are trying to achieve. If Klopp hits 80-85 points next year, along with challenging for the latter stages of the champions league, yet still finishes trophyless, I see absolutely no justification for his position being under threat or him "needing to win a trophy".

AZOffaly

Well you and I have very different perspectives of why you would play professional sport so. Finishing 3rd or 4th and 'challenging for the latter stages' (Final? Semi Final?) of the CL would be a decent season again, no doubt.

But at some point you have to win something, otherwise what's the point?

laoislad

I don't think its about Klopp needing to win a trophy to save his job. I think it's more about Liverpool FC needing to win a trophy to get back into the habit of winning trophies.
I would love to see them win the League Cup or FA Cup next season.
If they finish 2nd next season but don't win a trophy is that more of a sign of progress than say they finish 4th again but win the FA Cup. I'd take the latter every day of the week.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on May 28, 2018, 02:19:02 PM
I don't think its about Klopp needing to win a trophy to save his job. I think it's more about Liverpool FC needing to win a trophy to get back into the habit of winning trophies.
I would love to see them win the League Cup or FA Cup next season.
If they finish 2nd next season but don't win a trophy is that more of a sign of progress than say they finish 4th again but win the FA Cup. I'd take the latter every day of the week.

Yes, Agree. I should have made that clearer J70. I don't mean Klopp needs to win trophy next year to save his job. I'm happy with the direction the club is going. I mean the club needs to win a trophy because that's what the club is all about, or should be.

brokencrossbar1

Clubs exist to win trophies. Players play football to win trophies. I'm too sore to comment on Saturday night. We need as a club to win trophies. As much as a 3rd or 2nd place in the league is progress history will not record it. Trophies, end of story. We are making progress but need silverware

Boycey

There's merit in both sides of this debate, yeah footballs about winning things and as fans that's what we should crave. Winning the FA Cup and finishing 4th is definitely better than finishing 2nd and winning no trophies but it gets more difficult after that is 5th and the FA Cup better??

Rufus T Firefly

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I see Liverpool being linked with Alisson of Roma. They should break the bank though and try to get Oblak from Atletico.

I'm no Liverpool supporter but as a former keeper (in the loosest sense of the word) myself, I found myself watching his downfall through my fingers. Felt desperately sorry for the fella. A very lonely place. He got away with one against Roma - was it in the home leg - when he tried to fist a shot that went straight through him and onto the crossbar. Saturday night was a disaster waiting to happen and for that the manager should take a lot of the blame. 

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 28, 2018, 02:45:44 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but I see Liverpool being linked with Alisson of Roma. They should break the bank though and try to get Oblak from Atletico.

I'm no Liverpool supporter but as a former keeper (in the loosest sense of the word) myself, I found myself watching his downfall through my fingers. Felt desperately sorry for the fella. A very lonely place. He got away with one against Roma - was it in the home leg - when he tried to fist a shot that went straight through him and onto the crossbar. Saturday night was a disaster waiting to happen and for that the manager should take a lot of the blame.

There is no hiding place when you play in goal......whereas a striker could miss ten sitters but score the winner and all is forgiven. Agree that the keeper situation should have been sorted long ago.
You still dining out on that penalty save in Killeavy?😜

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 28, 2018, 04:45:17 PM
You still dining out on that penalty save in Killeavy?😜

Thirty odd years now - Red O'Neill has hit better I'd say - I sort of saved it by sitting on it!   :-\

Believe me - there was plenty let in that shouldn't have been - hence my sympathy for Karius.

laoislad

That came out of nowhere!!
Can't say I know anything about him though!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

He seems to have a 2nd chin below his beard..