The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Just re Fabregas, where would he play in the 'first choice' team for most of last season

Mignolet

Johnson    Skrtel        Sahko      Flanagan

Gerrard

Henderson                  Sterling

Coutinho

Sturridge    Suarez

Billys Boots

Stick him in at left-full; stick Lambert in at left-full - in fact, leave it empty until you have a left-full and everything will improve. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

I'd have said Right Full and Centre Half myself.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 11:45:57 AM
I'd have said Right Full and Centre Half myself.

Apologies, right-full - even saying the J*****n word is beyond me. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

supersub

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 11:18:16 AM
Just re Fabregas, where would he play in the 'first choice' team for most of last season

Mignolet

Johnson    Skrtel        Sahko      Flanagan

Gerrard

Henderson                  Sterling

Coutinho

Sturridge    Suarez

I have said it before, to challenge at the top consistently you need a decent size, quality squad. Fabregas and/or Lallana could play in any of Coutinho, Sterling or Hendersons positions. I agree Fabregas may not have as much work rate as Henderson but he could still play there easily. Who says he has to play there every game? Who has the divine right to start every game in decent size, quality squad? That is what we need, quality in all positions and the same quality or thereabouts on the bench. If Sterling and Coutinho find themselves on the bench together a few times next season I'd be more than happy because it means we have the same quality on the field - something which didn't happen this season hence the same players playing nearly every game! Rodgers was getting by with 13/14 players in reality for the second half of the season especially. Roll on the signings.

AZOffaly

I'm not disputing that at all. My point is where would Fabergas fit in a Brendan Rodgers styled team. As you say, maybe he could play in a withdrawn #10 type position, but I don't think that's his natural game. I absolutely agree that squad depth is important, although we have to sort out the defensive starters as well in my opinion, but squad depth is only good if the players coming in are capable of playing in the system, or have a very defined role that the other players also understand.

Walter Cronc

Is the BR gameplan not a high tempo version of Barca's high pressing?

Fabregas is a better player than Coutinho or Henderson no question.

Heres a stat, since 2007 Fabregas has had the most assists in the Premiership*

*He left in 2011.

AZOffaly

Rodgers basically plays 4-1-3-2. With pace. I don't think Fabregas would be a natural fit there. (Not saying he's not a good player, I'm just not sure he'd fit that role for Liverpool). Lallana on the other hand could probably play any of those '3' positions.

Walter Cronc

Has Lallana got out and out pace??

I'd say he's a drifter, picking up smart positions.

CiKe

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 03, 2014, 01:43:19 PM
Is the BR gameplan not a high tempo version of Barca's high pressing?

Fabregas is a better player than Coutinho or Henderson no question.

Heres a stat, since 2007 Fabregas has had the most assists in the Premiership*

*He left in 2011.

Some stat. Think only Messi has more assists in La Liga since then as well.

cadhlancian

Hopefully if Moreno gets signed, it will mean the exit for Glen Johnson. Flanagan is 3 times the player he is and will only get better in his more natural position of RB. I honestly believe that GJ was at the crux of nearly all our defensive shortcomings last season. He is is simply a poor defender. Starting for England in the WC as well ::)...........

Armamike

Lambert should be a decent signing. Maybe not one to set the pulse racing but he's a good player and will do a job when called upon, unlike Aspas, Borini and a few other lightweights who were pretty anonymous any game time they got. No doubt there will be more signings to come in  a long summer of activity.
That's just, like your opinion man.

supersub

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 01:40:25 PM
I'm not disputing that at all. My point is where would Fabergas fit in a Brendan Rodgers styled team. As you say, maybe he could play in a withdrawn #10 type position, but I don't think that's his natural game. I absolutely agree that squad depth is important, although we have to sort out the defensive starters as well in my opinion, but squad depth is only good if the players coming in are capable of playing in the system, or have a very defined role that the other players also understand.

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 01:45:30 PM
Rodgers basically plays 4-1-3-2. With pace. I don't think Fabregas would be a natural fit there. (Not saying he's not a good player, I'm just not sure he'd fit that role for Liverpool). Lallana on the other hand could probably play any of those '3' positions.

In my opinion at the minute Fabregas is a better football than Coutinho, Sterling and most of our players - Coutinho isn't a speed merchant but is intelligent and has bundles of skill. Fabregas played in a Barca team who were based on short sharp pass and move football with lots of energy, I think he would fit in alright with BR's tactics - prob in the middle of the three (or change tactics!). As someone else mentioned there too, his assist tally is top class - SAS would thrive off him. However I do agree the defence needs sorted more so and to be honest I don't think they will sign Fabregas!!

blewuporstuffed

for a similar amount of money (£25m ish) i think i would prefer Fabregas to Lallana to be honest.
He could play in a couple of positions in the midfield  diamond that Rodgers used a good bit last year.
He would be on huge wages though and at 27 is older than Lallana, so hard to see it happening.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Fair enough, if Fabregas could play in that Coutinho role, then he would be a good signing. I wouldn't be in favour of changing tactics for one player, especially when the tactics are pretty close as it is. I do think Coutinho is a bit hit and miss, which is only natural for a young lad, so maybe Fabregas instead of him would be a good signing. Still #2 priority behind defenders though.